Ruling Mewtwo & Mew GX Tag Team AND Latios GX

SushiAngel

Aspiring Trainer
Hi! My kids have started playing recently and I sometimes have to act as referee. Could you help us interpret the rules for these:
-My son uses both Mewtwo & Mew GX Tag Team (active Pokémon) AND Latios GX (on bench).
1) re: Mew's Perfection ability: "you still need the necessary energy to use each attack"...my son wants to use the attack of benched Latios. Should he attach energy to Mew or to Latios?
2) How do you use the attacks of Pokémon GX/EX on the discard pile? What about the required energy?
3) re: Latios' Tag Purge attack: "During your opponents next turn, prevent all damage done to this Pokémon by attacks from Tag Team Pokémon"... So same scenario (active is Mew & Latios on bench), my son uses Mew's Perfection Ability to use Latios Tag Purge. Does this attack prevent all damge done to Mew or Latios?

Hope you can help us so we can finally stop fighting haha Thanks!!!

The way Mew/MewTwo's Perfection ability works is that you pretend MewMewTwo has all of the attacks that any GX/EX on the bench or discard pile has is printed on the MewMewTwo card. So instead of just having the one attack, it has 20 or 30 or whatever. The other card isn't affected by this at all - it continues to work exactly as it would without Mew/MewTwo.

1 - Mew/MewTwo has to have the energy on it. It just means you don't get to use the attack for free - if the attack costs 2 psychic 1 colorless, you have to have 2 psychic 1 colorless on MewMewTwo to do the attack.
2 - Same as using Latios's on the bench. Any GX/EX in the discard pile, you pretend MewMewTwo has that attack on its card. MewMewTwo has to have the energy on it it is printed to require.
3 - Prevents it to MewMewTwo. Again, pretend MewMewTwo has that attack printed on the card. If the active is swapped out with anything (including Latios), then the effect would go away.

@SushiAngel

I'm going to answer the question as well. 99.9% of what @snoopy369 says is correct; if you're not worried about understanding in more detail, or you find my answer confusing, feel free to ignore it and we'll cross that 0.1% bridge if/when you ever come to it. :)

Mewtwo & Mew-GX's "Perfection" Ability lets them use the attacks of Pokémon-EX and Pokémon GX that are
  • On that player's Bench
  • In that player's discard pile
You can pick from any of the attacks that fall into the above categories. When you use Perfection, though, Mewtwo & Mew-GX using the attack, regardless of where the attack was copied from. This is not the same as Mewtwo & Mew-GX actually having a copy of that attack printed on it but it is very similar. When an attack says something like "this Pokémon", that means the Pokémon card using the attack. Mewtwo & Mew-GX is the one that has to have the Energy necessary to pay for that attacks cost. So to directly answer your numbered questions:
  1. If the plan is for Mewtwo & Mew-GX to use Latios-GX's attacks via Perfection, the Energy to pay for those attacks needs to be attached to the attack Mewtwo & Mew-GX.
  2. The Energy needs to be attached to Mewtwo & Mew-GX, the same as when copying an attack from a Benched Pokémon-EX or Pokémon-GX. You almost answered your own question. :) It is still good you asked though; some attacks actually have no Energy cost, or (for all you knew) there could have some weird way to attach Energy to something in the discard pile (but there's not).
  3. The "this Pokémon" in the attack references the one using the attack, so Mewtwo & Mew-GX would receive the protective effect.
Now for the 0.01%:

Perfection (and other, similar effects) don't give you an actual copy of that attack. This matters because they're not the only way to use attacks from another Pokémon. Sadly, I couldn't find a Standard-legal example for this, but we can use Zoroark BREAK (XY - BREAKthrough 92/162). I has an attack called "Foul Play" that it can use for [D]. Foul Play lets you (the player) choose one of your opponent's Active Pokémon's attacks, then use that attack as the rest of Foul Play.

As with attacks copied via Perfection, the attack is treated as if it was coming from Zoroark BREAK. That means using Zoroark-GX's Darkness Type when figuring out Weakness and Resistance, and using it when an effect states "This Pokémon", etc. Unlike attacks copied by Perfection, the way Foul Play works, you do not need to have the Energy required by the copied attack attached to Zoroark BREAK: only Zoroark BREAK's printed attack cost of [D] must be met.

If you have Zoroark BREAK facing Mewtwo & Mew-GX, regardless of how many attacks Mewtwo & Mew-GX might be able to use through their Perfection Ability, Zoroark BREAK can only copy the actual attacks printed on Mewtwo & Mew-GX. In this case, that is just one: Miraculous Duo-GX. I'm actually not sure if, when copying an attack like this, you would reference Foul Play's printed attack cost or Miraculous Duo-GX's printed attack cost when determining if you have enough extra Energy attached to trigger Miraculous Duo-GX's secondary effect.

Back