Mew

Void

What are your thoughts on this? Should Mew be OU or Uber for gen 5 play? I personally believe that Mew can run far too many competitively viable sets to be OU and has the stat distribution to pull every one of them off (I will expand on this later). I think that we should by the very least consider Mew as a suspect.

My bet is on OU, it is not that much of a threat on OU with all these new bug Pokemon, Genosekuto kills it, also Ulgamoth laughs at it. If I noticed 1 thing in the 5th gen that is ... 100 base stats on every stat area is not that big anymore :/ ...

That isn't correct. Mew is clearly one of the best, if not the best baton pass Pokemon. It can run sets of Rock Polish, Swords Dance, Nasty Plot, and others while being decently quick with 100 base speed and also bulky with all around 100 base defenses.

^ That is pretty much the biggest point. It can set up Rock Polish on a host of things, plus it has access to Taunt, which stops phazers/other taunters from stopping it. Combined with the fact that it has the bulk to take attacks, it will almost always pass it's boosts to the intended receiver. It could be argued that Gliscor has Agility + Taunt as well, but Gliscor can't take special attacks very well (water is also a very common attacking move this gen) and Mew can pass Nasty Plot as well. "All these new bug Pokemon" really isn't a reason, if that's the case why don't we put Mewtwo in OU? Or why did Darkrai get banned?

People aren't using Mew currently, thus it is hard to gauge how powerful it really is. And the ones I have seen, I haven't seen used in a broken manner. It is so versatile that it is frightening... But it still isn't a mystery what it will probably do. It'll either be a stall set, sweeper, or Baton Pass. Sweeper isn't a great set because of typing and, now, middling speed but the other sets are solid. So the jury is still out, as one might say.

Back