Discussion Metagross-GX / Solgaleo-GX, or Metagross-GX / DM Necrozma-GX?

WinterShorts

Aspiring Trainer
Now that post-rotation is in effect and is tested a little bit, Metagross is back to seeing a bit more play than it did last format now that specific cards that have handled it before are rotated. After playing with a bit of both with the time I have it seems to me both versions of Metagross have their ups and downs in comparison to each other, and I'm a little curious as to which seems or even sounds better to play in a tournament.

Metagross-GX / Solgaleo-GX uses Solgaleo as the hardest hitter, and while Solgaleo is another stage 2 to add in on top of the Metagrosses, it gives you access to Ultra Road for more mobility and it requires 1 less energy to attack with than Dusk Mane Necrozma.

Metagross-GX / Dusk Mane Necrozma-GX (I guess this is also Pure Metagross with the DM Necrozma just being used as a tech as a 1 or 2-of) doesn't have to set up as much since the only stage 2 you need to lay down is Metagross, whereas DM Necrozma can just be dropped down anytime and does essentially just as much damage as Solgaleo-GX, but it has less HP than Solgaleo-GX and it uses 4 energy for it's most used attack instead of 3. This is important if you only have 2 Metagrosses set up and you can only charge 2 energies to DM Necrozma, meaning you would have to commit manual energy attachments to it most likely or find some other cheeky way to get the energies on.

In my personal perspective, I'm leaning more towards using regular Solgaleo-GX alongside Metagross most likely because I've been to more tournaments with the deck and looks to me like he already has some tournament results from Melbourne that happened last weekend, the 2 decks being Jake Cruwys's 15th place list and Alex Schemanske's 20th place list, but I have a feeling people might prefer the easier setup via Dusk Mane Necrozma with one less stage 2 to set up to try and increase the consistency. Either way I would like to hear your thoughts if you have the time to share them.

I'm also going to throw in a straw poll for which version is better for anyone interested:
https://www.strawpoll.me/16417181

Kashvinder Mann

Aspiring Trainer
Been testing the Solgaleo version out lately, I like it better than the normal one. Hard to get all the pieces but when you do, game over.

Mariano11887

Goalkeeper
Honestly, I've always been reluctant to play 2 different lines of Stage 2 Pokemon because it hits consistency hard. But now with the help of Order Pad you can get the Rare Candies more consistently, so if I have to choose between those options, I'd try with the Solgaleo one.
Obviously if you are taking it to a tournament, test it as much as possible before going.

optimal_max

Aspiring Trainer
I love Metagross-GX/Solgaleo-GX. I also throw in a Volkner (since Skyla was rotated out) to pull a rare candy when I need one.

I haven't found a deck that works as well as the pre-rotation version, but will keep working on it.

Mistadirtyziggy

Aspiring Trainer
I know a couple people mentioned it, but I think Ultra Necrozma is a pretty solid option as well. Has the same health as DMN and can usually one-hit on fewer energy, and it also diversifies your weaknesses a bit. Ultra Road and the body on Solgaleo are both nice, but I've preferred the Ultra Necrozma option recently. I haven't played with Metagross-DMN a ton, but I've still preferred the Ultra Necrozma, just because its more reliable if you only manage to get out two Metagross, where DMN really needs you to have gotten three out to be a consistent win.

Shikageru

Aspiring Trainer
Testing n trying aurabomb's list with minor tweaks. We shall see how it goes. Trying the spicy shining mew + Volkner and a lightning energy tech to see how I like or dislike them. May replace with metangs and hala since you can generally gx early. Beldum plus ultra ball for lele for Volkner plus Metagross in hand makes for a quick algorithm gx.