• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Alt. Format Metagross GX Post Rotation

Adi

Aspiring Trainer
I have been getting back into Pokemon TCG, and would like suggestions on how to improve my Metagross GX deck for post rotation. Here is my current deck list.

Pokemon: 17

4 Beldum
3 Metang
4 Metagross GX
2 Alolan Vulpix
2 Tapu Lele GX
1 Magearna EX
1 Cobalion

Trainers: 33

Items

4 Ultra Ball
4 Rare Candy
4 Choice Band
4 Max Potion
1 Rescue Stretcher
3 Field Blower

Supporter

4 Professor Sycamore
4 N
1 Bridgette
3 Guzma
1 Lillie

Energy: 10

9 Metal Energy
1 Psychic Energy

I know a lot of these cards are rotating out, so suggestions for replacements would be much appreciated. I would also like to keep Metagross GX as the main attacker, but I'm not opposed to a new secondary attacker.

-I would suggest adding in an Ultra Necrozma. It helps a lot against any deck that has things with 210HP. My energy is 6 metal and 4 psychic.
-You will lose Sycamore, N, Magearna EX, and Brigette to rotation. So you should max out on Cynthia, and maybe play like 3 Hala. I use the 3 Nest Ball-Lillie strategy to setup after rotation.
-You also only need the field blowers for the occasional Choice Band and Wishful Baton because Garb is rotating. So I only play 2.

I agree with Devin. I've been running a Metagross GX / Ultra Necrozma deck since Forbidden Light launched and its a heck of a fun deck. I don't run Magerna or Alolan Vulpix and instead run a 2-1 Zoroark line to help with draws & Dawn Wings Necrozma / Necrozma / Malamarr decks. I also only run 1 Tapu Lele GX with a few Skylaa (Volkner post rotation) as once you get 1 Metagross GX setup, you can GX for the cards you need.

Sometimes there are just the truly abysmal starts that you really can't avoid with almost any deck but overall, it is fairly consistent. Once I have the cards & they are live, I am thinking of adding in a CST Metagross and Steven's Resolve for hopefully an even faster setup; perhaps something to consider.

I like the idea of running Ultra Necrozma GX with Metagross GX, and Zoroark GX with Metagross GX. I think the deck becomes clunky though when you have both of them because of your limited bench space. If you run the deck with Ultra Necrozma GX you can add extra draw supporters, and if you run it with Zoroark GX you can focus more on setting up 3 Metagross GX's. I'm not quite sure though which deck would be more competitive, and would like advice on which to run. In terms of draw supporters I plan on running 4 Cynthia, but I'm sure how many Hala and Lillie I should be running. I want to try to keep the deck consistent like it is with N and Sycamore.

I would suggest finding room for baby Metagross and Steven's Decision in that deck. Finding any three cards you want is helpful, baby Meta stops Steven's nasty drawback, and it has a one-energy attack that can hit up to 150 with a Choice Band.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have been playing with the deck on ptcgo and have had promising results. Here is my updated deck list.

Pokemon: 17

4 Beldum
3 Metang
4 Metagross GX
2 Tapu Lele GX
2 Ultra Necrozma GX
2 Alolan Vulpix

Trainers: 32

Items

4 Ultra Ball
3 Rare Candy
3 Choice Band
4 Max Potion
1 Rescue Stretcher
2 Field Blower
2 Nest Ball

Supporter

4 Cynthia
3 Hala
3 Guzma
1 Lillie
1 Copycat
1 Pokemon Fan Club

Energy: 11

6 Metal Energy
5 Psychic Energy

The deck runs smoothly, but I'm still not sure if my draw supporter counts maximize efficiency. Any more advice on the deck would be appreciated.

I'd highly recommend making room for a Dhelmise or 2. Allows you to get an OHKO on Buzzwole GX with 1+CB, and Lycanroc GX with 2+CB. -1 Max Potion for 1 Dhelmise.

Also, -1 Field Blower (Not really useful post rotation) for 1 Rare Candy.

Add Baby Metagross from Celestial Storm and throw some Steven's Resolve in there with it to make some craziness happen

Back