• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard MetaCats! Solgaleo for March '18

RileyTheRad

Awkward PokeTuber
Pokémon [17]
2 Registeel
4-3-4 Solgaleo GX (3 old / 1 new)
1 Solgaleo Prism Star
1 Oranguru
2 Tapu Lele GX

Trainers [33]
4 Ultra Ball
4 Max Potion
3 Field Blower
2 Rare Candy
3 Evosoda
2 Rescue Stretcher
3 Cynthia
3 N
2 Professor Sycamore
4 Guzma
2 Brigette
1 Skyla

Energy [10]
10 Metal Energy

Strategy: Deny KOs using free retreats from Old-Galeo's ability, as well as Max Potions after energy discard. Use Rayquaza, New-Galeo and Solgaleo Prism Star to keep Old-Galeo full on energy.

My Concerns: I need to make cuts. Is Rayquaza irrelevant to the deck now, with Prism Star Solgaleo and New-Galeo? I feel like Rayquaza will help for early attachments, but I'm also not sure how to best get energies into the discard initially (outside of Ultra Ball and Zoroark's Trade).

Shameless Metabots references aside, what would you cut? What would you add?

Last edited:
I actually prefer a 2-2 split on old and new. Playing just one is going to be too inconsistent. I think the Pokemon lineup should look more like this:

4-3-4 Solgaleo GX (2 old, 2 new)
1 Solgaleo Prism Star
2 Dusk Wings Necrozma GX
1 Registeel
3 Tapu Lele GX

I don't think Zoroark GX really fits in this deck. You're sacrificing a ton of stability for draw that I don't really think you need. 3x Cosmoem is very important in the current meta. Espeon EX is everywhere. Rayquaza is also a bit of a liability right now. The magic number it 130 for big basics due to Zoroark and Golisopod being so prevalent right now. Registeel is better due to it's 130 HP even though it's only accelerating one (M) energy.

In general your Supporter line is very inconsistent. I like Hala, he's a great supporter for this deck, but 1-2 of, and you should max out on Cynthia and N. I understand you don't want to discard stuff... but I wonder if Cynthia can really replace Sycamore right now. Having some discard draw is good for thinning out pieces in your deck that aren't useful in your current board state.

Considering my recommendation of forgoing Rayquaza I believe you should reduce the number of DCE in the deck. 2 ought to be enough as it's really just there to fuel the new Solgaleo GX now. You might want to increase the metal energy count a bit if you do reduce the number of DCE, but I'd say add only one more. I think 12 energy cards is a pretty solid balance for this deck.

I actually prefer a 2-2 split on old and new. Playing just one is going to be too inconsistent. I think the Pokemon lineup should look more like this:

4-3-4 Solgaleo GX (2 old, 2 new)
1 Solgaleo Prism Star
2 Dusk Wings Necrozma GX
1 Registeel
3 Tapu Lele GX

I don't think Zoroark GX really fits in this deck. You're sacrificing a ton of stability for draw that I don't really think you need. 3x Cosmoem is very important in the current meta. Espeon EX is everywhere. Rayquaza is also a bit of a liability right now. The magic number it 130 for big basics due to Zoroark and Golisopod being so prevalent right now. Registeel is better due to it's 130 HP even though it's only accelerating one (M) energy.

In general your Supporter line is very inconsistent. I like Hala, he's a great supporter for this deck, but 1-2 of, and you should max out on Cynthia and N. I understand you don't want to discard stuff... but I wonder if Cynthia can really replace Sycamore right now. Having some discard draw is good for thinning out pieces in your deck that aren't useful in your current board state.

Considering my recommendation of forgoing Rayquaza I believe you should reduce the number of DCE in the deck. 2 ought to be enough as it's really just there to fuel the new Solgaleo GX now. You might want to increase the metal energy count a bit if you do reduce the number of DCE, but I'd say add only one more. I think 12 energy cards is a pretty solid balance for this deck.

I've been considering Registeel, it's a good point about the difference between 120 and 130 HP. I worry the acceleration it provides is a bit slow, if it's not hitting for Weakness, but I will definitely give it a test.

Why the Wings Necrozma?

And yeah, I may swap in some Sycamore :) That's one area I was really on the fence. I just hate running a line too thick of it in heavy evolution decks, makes me nervous.

I currently run the Solgaleo/Rayquazza version. The only thing that concerns me is the 2/2 split of the old and new Solgaleo. I feel like it might make this deck a lot more clunky than it currently is with Rayquazza. I just feel like it would be harder/slower to set up. Who knows I could be wrong.

Changes I would make:
+1 Lele
-2 rare candy ( I play with two rare candy right now with the 4-3-4 line Solgaleo with no problems.With de-evolution decks running around this also makes sense to me.)
-2-2 Zoroark line( for the aforementioned reasons)
+2 Sycamore or whatever draw support you find more useful.

Just saying Solgaleo got delayed till October :/ (at least in the UK, no word on the release date in the states)

I've been considering Registeel, it's a good point about the difference between 120 and 130 HP. I worry the acceleration it provides is a bit slow, if it's not hitting for Weakness, but I will definitely give it a test.

Why the Wings Necrozma?

And yeah, I may swap in some Sycamore :) That's one area I was really on the fence. I just hate running a line too thick of it in heavy evolution decks, makes me nervous.

I meant Dusk Mane, which is the Steel Necromza. So annoying that they flip flopped the names for the Necrozma formes.

I understand the nervousness, especially with VS Seeker gone. You could try running puzzles but you don't really have the room for it.

Updated after testing! Going to try this list out tonight to see what seems to work and what doesn't.

Some initial thoughts:
--Without OldGaleo's GX attack early game, the setup feels too slow. All forms of energy acceleration are dependent on energy being in the discard, and that takes time to do. That said, I'm not super sold on Dialga for its GX attack just yet. Maybe with more testing!
--OldGaleo's ability is ridiculously powerful. Combined with its massive HP and use of Max Potions once energies have been discarded, knockout denial is very strong.
--Guzma also becomes amazing when combined with OldGaleo's ability. Going to test with 4 instead of 3, just because from the perspective of running 3, it seems a missed opportunity to not bump it a bit.
--Testing was done with Rayquaza instead of Registeel. While I didn't feel the 120HP was terribly dynamic (1 prize for my opponent seemed a fair trade to get an OldGaleo charged and ready to take 2 prizes), the DCEs seemed problematic because they were not valuable outside of Ray. I'm worried that the 1 energy attachment from Registeel instead of the 2 from Ray might sting a bit, but we'll see.
--I did not have too much trouble getting Solgaleos into play, but at times it did feel slightly clunky. I want to try adding Evosoda, just to see how it goes. I'm usually a bit dubious about using Evosoda, but I feel like I would regret not giving it a try at the least.

I like were your list is headed but I still feel like the support line up is a little all over the place. I'd do some testing myself but winter has kind of halted my Pokemon TCG group. Too many snow storms and cold snaps making it hard to go places and since the cards aren't out online...

Anyways good luck, please keep us posted!

Back