Megazone- How do you counter it?

Tyranodon

Aspiring Trainer
I really need a megazone counter in my scizor/samurott build it. It has decent match ups against everything but this... Magnezone hits samurott for weakess and has resistance to scizor and it doesnt use special energy. I already run 3 rainbow but no pluspowers. I think I can make about 4-5 spaces for the tech. I would try Donphan but I dont run pluspower and yanmega is resitant to it... Thanks in advance.

I guess you could try umbreon, it's attack gives it immunity to Magnezone and Magnezone's most popular partner, Yanmega.

Umbreon is meh they can reversal, yanmega snipe around it and with a 1-1 line by the time I get it set up they will be up on prizes.. Im not sure but thanks for the input.

I'd try at least a 2-2 Donphan Prime, Magnezone requires four energy to KO it, and Scizor mauls Yanmega anyway. Stall with Donphan until they tack on a Rescue Energy, and then just attack with Scizor.

Zoroark also can work as a Megazone counter, or at least on the Magnezone part.

Yanmega can be countered by another Yanmega, but obviously, your not trying to do that.

Zoroark can "technically" also work against Yanmega, but not super effectively.

Tyranodon said:
I really need a megazone counter in my scizor/samurott build it. It has decent match ups against everything but this... Magnezone hits samurott for weakess and has resistance to scizor and it doesnt use special energy. I already run 3 rainbow but no pluspowers. I think I can make about 4-5 spaces for the tech. I would try Donphan but I don't run pluspower and yanmega is resitant to it... Thanks in advance.

Donphan is your best bet. It goes with the overall theme of tanking, and with Scizor having Special Metals and Samurott having his ability, you won't be hurting your bench for long, if at all.

2-2 Donphan with 2 Pluspowers will be enough, so you just need to take out 1 more card from your deck.

There is no easy counter for Magnezone than can be teched into any deck, that's one of the things that makes it so good (along with insane draw power and insane hits.) There are no cards that can easily be teched into any deck to counter magnezone, so you either have to use a deck that's build to beat him, or, imo the better way, use skill. 140 HP usually isn't amazingly hard to kill. Once they drop however many energy to kill your pokemon they aren't as much of a threat. I've been playing magnezone since HGSS-On was announced and in my experience when i send him how to kill something i usually expect the return KO. You can also limit his damage by making your opponent waste their energy drop for the durn, or using disruption to make them miss it altogether. Magnezone can only do 50 dmg a turn, and not even that if they can't drop an energy.

Believe it or not, Yanmega. I know this sounds REALLY stupid, but here's why. What happens is you set up Yanmega T2, attack with Linear attack, and snipe their Magnemites/Magnetons. With a little bit of luck and help from Catcher/Reversal, you should be able to beat the Magnezone from the inside. It's just a 'counter' nobody else has mentioned, but it might take up space.

Best way to get rid of Magnezone is to make sure there's only 1 of him. 2x140HP is intolerable and taking 2x100 or 1x150 is gonna be rough, so you don't want that. Just get in there with something you can afford to lose (a basic like Reshiram or indeed a Yanmega) to snipe or Poke Catcher the first one the turn after it hits.

^There are many 1-1 lines in popular decks. Not a large amount, but a fair few.

I'd say Yanmega to snipe Magnemite. Scizor should do fine with Yanmega, so as long as you take out the Magnemite, you should be okay.

I do actually already run 1-1 Yanmega already. I will try 2-2 Donphan, thanks. Im not really sure in just adding 2 plus powers as they will often be dead draw as I dont run junk arm or juniper.

Quickly taking them down before they can strike is my way on the highway. :p DD tho counters it by default since donphan's fighting type. Catcher sort of weakens Megazone.

Back