Blog MegaMan and Me: A Better Love Story than Twilight

Great article Serprior! I really appreciate the insight you've given into the current and recent metas, which is insight I haven't really been able to get recently. I like MegaMan too, and although I've never used him, maybe one day I'll be able to create a rogue that will.

Dude, that Arby's run though. Sweet freaking dance moves.
Anywho, great article! I could never make Manetric work as well as you. I am actually interested in MegaMan Maxies Gallade as a deck in standard. You should try it out.

Thanks for the kind words guys!

bbninjas: it's definitely a fun deck. I like how it can be both aggressive and defensive - very fun.

TM_Gold: still have the footage. What a beautiful day. Maxie's/Gallade is interesting and I haven't tested it, but I might have to. There just isn't a whole lot of MegaMan out there right now but in and of itself the card is super consistent with Premonition it's worth considering.

TheUltimateAbsol: that'd be a lot of pretty Energy on the field. There's been a little hype for that build so we'll see - Smeargle BKT would see a spot in the deck for sure.

Thanks for the kind words guys!

bbninjas: it's definitely a fun deck. I like how it can be both aggressive and defensive - very fun.

TM_Gold: still have the footage. What a beautiful day. Maxie's/Gallade is interesting and I haven't tested it, but I might have to. There just isn't a whole lot of MegaMan out there right now but in and of itself the card is super consistent with Premonition it's worth considering.

TheUltimateAbsol: that'd be a lot of pretty Energy on the field. There's been a little hype for that build so we'll see - Smeargle BKT would see a spot in the deck for sure.
I'd actually like to see a MegaMan/Toolbox of sorts, with Smeargle, kind of similar to what Jordan Stoddard used to get 2nd at Oregon Regionals last season.

I could see that too - it's just that my main problem with MegaMan is not being able to establish a very strong first-turn presence. Decks like Vespiquen, Night March, and YZG that can pull off first-turn attacks really hinder MegaMan at this point. Night March doesn't struggle hitting T1 180. Bees trade Prizes well as long as they're not dropping all of their Shaymin. YZG...is MegaMan's worst nightmare. Unless you get a Flash Energy in play. Gallade / Octillery is picking up steam, but I still like to think Night March has that matchup covered if they can work around Focus Sashes or play a copy of Megaphone.

If the meta slows down with all of this disruption stuff like Delinquent, I wouldn't mind playing MegaMan again. It's a great card.

Thanks Luispipe8!

Feel free to leave suggestions of what you'd like to see from me during the next article! I have a few ideas in mind but any others help too. :)

Serperior We had almost the same idea to revitalize MegaMan: Raikou!

Lately I've been using a MegaMan/Regice deck and has worked pretty decent so far, but I see so much potential in Raikou, specially after Breakpoint with the help of the zebras and Figthing Spirit Belt. And more disruptive cards like Delinquent.

I agree I'd like to see more self sufficient techs for mega man, getting max potion back is strong for the deck.

Lately I've been using a MegaMan/Regice deck and has worked pretty decent so far, but I see so much potential in Raikou, specially after Breakpoint with the help of the zebras and Figthing Spirit Belt. And more disruptive cards like Delinquent.
Very cool! I dunno how big of an impact Zebstrika will make, seeing as Regice and Safeguarders aren't huge in Standard as of right now, but who knows? Fighting Spirit Belt is definitely interesting. I think in MegaMan decks it might get left out, seeing as you'd rather have the Spirit Link, but in Manectric-EX only decks this is gonna be huge. It and Raikou though...that'll be a neat pair.

Mind if I ask what your Pokémon lineup is for that deck?

I agree I'd like to see more self sufficient techs for mega man, getting max potion back is strong for the deck.
Max Potion is going to be HUGE. Seeing as Night March and Bees already struggle hitting 210, being able to wipe away all that damage is going to give MegaMan strong matchups against them once again. It all comes down to the first turn - can they keep a Manectric-EX from Mega Evolving? If not, they're gonna be battling uphill. They can obviously Lysandre around MegaMan, but they have to keep up pumping out attackers turn after turn under serious pressure.

Very cool! I dunno how big of an impact Zebstrika will make, seeing as Regice and Safeguarders aren't huge in Standard as of right now, but who knows? Fighting Spirit Belt is definitely interesting. I think in MegaMan decks it might get left out, seeing as you'd rather have the Spirit Link, but in Manectric-EX only decks this is gonna be huge. It and Raikou though...that'll be a neat pair.

Mind if I ask what your Pokémon lineup is for that deck?

Sure, I was thinking in a 3-2 Manectric line, 2-2 zebras and 3 Raikous. Maybe one Lugia EX and one Shaymin for good measure and to abuse a couple of DCE I was planning to include (zebras, shaymin, Lugia).

In the trainers department I was thinking to go defensive with Fighting Spirit Belt and/or Hard Charm + Rough Seas. And some disruption in the form of Hammers, head ringer, Delinquent and Judge

After losing to your M Man deck in a LC, it definitely influenced my deck building for the entirety of cities. Sadly, I didn't end up going up against as much of it as I expected, but counter building that helped with the night march matchup too, so you definitely helped out! It's really awesome to see how your list evolved since then. Great article!

I dunno how I feel about the Zebstrika to be honest. What do you think that you'll run into that'll prevent Turbo Bolt damage?

After losing to your M Man deck in a LC, it definitely influenced my deck building for the entirety of cities. Sadly, I didn't end up going up against as much of it as I expected, but counter building that helped with the night march matchup too, so you definitely helped out! It's really awesome to see how your list evolved since then. Great article!

Thanks for the compliment! Definitely wanted to show the PokéPeeps how much MegaMan's changed. What did you do to your list to counter MegaMan/Night March?

I dunno how I feel about the Zebstrika to be honest. What do you think that you'll run into that'll prevent Turbo Bolt damage?

Thanks for the compliment! Definitely wanted to show the PokéPeeps how much MegaMan's changed. What did you do to your list to counter MegaMan/Night March?

Since I'm a major fan of speed ray, the altaria was missing from my early lists, since it tended to clog things up, but it was a necessity after that point. I actually stopped playing Miltank/Greninja for a few weeks since I thought MegaMan was going to be everywhere. As it started to fall off, I crept back into the greninja love.

Greninja's new BREAK is definitely gonna make things interesting. I was gonna say - Altaria can definitely be troublesome for MegaMan and Night March builds if they can't hit the Hex Maniac. It really depends on your meta, however. With the decline of MegaMan...maybe the Altaria won't be as useful and you can try to go for KOs on Joltiks with Shaymin and Sky Return.

I'm from Costa Rica and here Giratina, Regice and ghosts pokemon are very popular, so Zebstrika will help to go through Giratina and Regice and to hit double on those pesky ghosts.

Another possible route I was thinking was combine MegaMan with Garbodor, instead of using zebras. Plus, other card I think has a lot of potential with Raikou is burst balloon + eco arm. Since megaphone may be a staple with the return of Garbodor.

Oh, wow - yeah MegaMan hits right through Giratina then. Didn't think of that. Usually I promote a regular Manectric and swing with Assault Laser for the 2HKO or go for the Hex if I can.

With Smeargle being in format it wouldn't surprise me to see MegaMan/Wobb/Garb being a deck as we saw it already has been in Expanded...but its Ability gets shut out by Garb/Wobb anyways so never mind haha. Garb helps out with a lot of MegaMan's bad matchups like Night March (they can't go for Milotic to grab DCEs from the Discard Pile) and whatever uses Bronzong. Access to Wobbuffet might be cool because you can hit for Weakness, although you'd have to already have sufficient damage on the Gallade to get the KO. Regardless, you're getting the KO with a non-EX attacker, forcing your opponent to Lysandre around it.

Raikou/Burst Balloon sounds dirty. If they can't OHKO him, that's a whole lot of Balloon damage they're gonna be taking haha. Unfortunately, they can Escape Rope/Lysandre around that too and aren't forced to attack, so it's a weird spot for sure. It's an interesting card.

I can reassure Regice and Hippowdon are really frequent in Costa Rica... And basically because I play them a lot. :p But that aside, Giratina can be a big issue to Manectric. Most of the time when playing it I often found that it was more worth it to use Turbo Bolt and accelerate into a Lugia or a Regice instead of Assault Laser the brains out Giratina because it gives you an advantage in your board. But with Zebstrika you can also deal the damage, so it's really nice.

And about Zebstrika, not only it can help out in those cases, but against things like M-Rayquaza, Yveltal and the like it can serve as a 1-prize attacker that can always OHKO, giving you a prize advantage.

Back