MegaEvolutions in the TCG

signofzeta

Aspiring Trainer
In the games, the trainer has to have this watch thing and the pokemon must hold some stone for the mega evolution to take place.

Maybe the XY series will be something like Pokemon must have trainer item card representing the stone attached, and the player must play another trainer card, which represents the watch. The mega evolution card, which is not shuffled within the deck, but more like outside the deck, will then be placed on top of the pokemon for one turn, or it could be permanent, depending on how the VG does it.

The reason why I didn't want to include it within the deck, was because I didn't want mega evolutions to take one of the 60 card deck slots. I sort of think of the mega evolution as an expanded library of moves for the original version of the pokemon. Not only that, if the mega evolution card were to be shuffled within the deck, then it would take up 4 of 60 deck slots just to have a mega evolution card. First is the card of the Pokemon, the second would be the mega evolved pokemon, the third will be the card the pokemon must be equipped with, and fourth would be trainer card the player must play, so that is why I decided that the mega evolved pokemon should be outside the deck, just like Yugioh's extra deck. It also makes it so that we don't have to waste time searching the deck and shuffling it again. Perhaps rather than having the equip card be mandatory, maybe it should go something like, if you have this card equipped, you may keep the mega evolved pokemon on that pokemon so long as that pokemon has it equipped. If not, you must move the mega evolved pokemon card back to your extra deck. That way, to play mega evolved pokemon, you only need to take up 2 of 60 deck spaces rather than 3.

I also don't like the idea of making the same mechanic and giving it a new name. I don't want Mega Evolutions to be like Lvl X. Basically saying, i don't simply want Mega evolutions to be placed on top of a Pokemon and call it a day. Mind as well call that Lvl X then.

Another thing about Mega evolutions, I hope TPCi finds one set, preferably the first set that introduces mega evolutions, and make 3 theme decks based off the kanto starters, and have their mega evolutions. It could be the theme decks for that set, or they could completely omit theme decks for that set, and create 3 separate Mega evolution mega decks, just like how they omitted theme decks for BW legendary treasures and created the XY kalos starter sets.

signofzeta

Aspiring Trainer
everydayspark said:
Maybe MegaEvolution cards will be so powerful that we will be able to use it only once during game? :)

I was thinking of something like, so powerful that it is hard to pull off.

Something along the lines of, you must play a trainer item card in order to bring your mega evolved pokemon from outside the game and place it on that pokemon. The reason for doing the trainer item, with the mega evolved pokemon outside the game, was that this item can be used to mega evolve any pokemon that could mega evolve, meaning that it isn't that hard to pull off, but hard enough. Next is the pokemon tool that would keep the pokemon mega evolved. If that pokemon does not have that tool, the mega evolution card will return to the outside of the game once an attack is used. This means that if you don't have that tool, which is an ace spec tool, you can only attack with any of your mega evolved pokemon a maximum of 4 times, assuming you have 4 of that trainer item card in your deck. Come to think of it, doing the trainer item with the mega evolution cards outside of the deck means that you can only attack with any mega evolved pokemon a total of 4 times if you don't have that ace spec tool card that keeps pokemon mega evolved. If there wasn't the item, and the mega evolution cards are directly in the deck, it would mean that any player can play 4 of each mega evolution, which means if you have 4 pokemon that can mega evolve, you can attack 16 times with the mega evolved pokemon. Let's say that there can be a maximum of one mega evolved pokemon with the same name in the deck. That means that if you have 6 different mega evolved pokemon, you can attack a total of 6 times. Doing the trainer item + mega evolved pokemon outside the deck way means that you can only attack 4 times total, even if you have 10 mega evolved pokemon cards in your deck.

If a mega evolved pokemon is destroyed, it is put in a discard pile, along with everything else underneath it. This is a drawback for keeping the mega evolved form in play.

scizorlicious

Now with one fewer 's'
That's an interesting concept, but Pokémon generally avoids cards that have a lot of prerequisites to be able to be used. Cards like that are a lot more situational to set up, meaning luck has a much larger presence in one's ability to implement a strategy around the cards, which is why Fossil Pokémon have really just failed completely, despite Cradily having a very strong attack. It's just too hard to make it work.

signofzeta

Aspiring Trainer
scizorlicious said:
That's an interesting concept, but Pokémon generally avoids cards that have a lot of prerequisites to be able to be used. Cards like that are a lot more situational to set up, meaning luck has a much larger presence in one's ability to implement a strategy around the cards, which is why Fossil Pokémon have really just failed completely, despite Cradily having a very strong attack. It's just too hard to make it work.

It's not a lot of prerequisites. It's even less of a prerequisite than fossil pokemon. Drawing the trainer item card to play the mega evolved card, which was never in the deck, but outside the game, is no different from drawing a "stage 3" pokemon. You don't have to have the mega evolved pokemon in your hand because it was never in the deck to begin with. The only drawback is that you have 4 chances for attack because the maximum amount of that trainer item card you can have in your deck is 4. And because of the limited amount of attacks, the attacks would be powerful. Because this trainer item card can be used with any mega evolution, it makes it even less of a prerequisite. A prerequisite for Blastoise is Wartortle. A prerequisite for Mega blastoise is Blastoise. You don't draw mega blastoise from your deck in order to play him. You draw this trainer item card to play mega blastoise. Likewise, this same card can be used to play Mega Charizard, or whatever mega pokemon there is. The only prerequisite to a mega pokemon is what it was evolved from.

I also mentioned of an ace spec trainer tool card that can keep mega evolved pokemon in play. That would generate a higher advantage to the person controlling the mega evolved pokemon, so the drawback has to be that without this tool card, the pokemon must return to the outside of the game once the attack is made and the turn is over.

Luispipe8

Pokémon Professor
Something that nobody has said yet(as I've seen) is that I'll be a "PERMANENT" feature, since MegaEvolutions will exist XY-on, so it can't be something as ellaborated to be the XY-ONLY Gimmick. From where I see it, it'll be another Stage triggered through an Item(Tool).

-Blaziken is a Stage 2 Card.
-Blazikenite(Tool, MegaStone attribute) attached to Blaziken.
-Player plays(LOL) MegaRing/KeyStone Item/Supporter card from hand(to search for a MegaEvoution in the deck and MegaEvolve from a Pokemon that MegaEvolves to it that has a MegaStone attached to it).
-MegaBlaziken is now a Stage 3 Pokemon.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
The evolution question was already answered in a recent News Post. :p

As far as multiple versions goes, I only really see that happening for the Pokémon that have two different Mega Evolutions, namely Mewtwo and Charizard. Charizard at least will likely be in the 2nd XY set. After all, plenty of Pokémon had dual types before Mega Evolutions were a thing. It's possible that they might use the "new" typing for the Mega card just to showcase the difference (Dragon-type Charizard X <3 <3 <3), and maybe even getting dual-typed cards again, but I don't see making two different versions.

Worth will be interesting. We don't exactly know how rare these things will be, but they'll presumably be rarer than EXes, which will effect the price, in addition to how much they'll be used in game play. I'm guessing Charizard will probably end up the most expensive out of all of them though, just because Charizard.

RiverShock

Aspiring Trainer
They won't be a permanent feature... How is this any different to Shining Pokemon, Pokemon Tools (they were absent from HGSS and a lot of BW despite hold items having existed the entire time) and Technical Machines. ;p And I doubt they'll require anything other than the Mega Evolution card. I see them as being basically Pokemon-Lv.X that end your turn. Whether they carry over attacks/abilities or not I don't know, though.

mcnichoj

Clutch Crutch
RiverShock said:
They won't be a permanent feature... How is this any different to Shining Pokemon, Pokemon Tools (they were absent from HGSS and a lot of BW despite hold items having existed the entire time) and Technical Machines. ;p And I doubt they'll require anything other than the Mega Evolution card. I see them as being basically Pokemon-Lv.X that end your turn. Whether they carry over attacks/abilities or not I don't know, though.
Play the video before reading the rest of the post for added effect.
[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALhAXtFR1LM[/video]

Because unlike shining and Lv.X, MegaEvolutions are actually a game mechanic. They change the creatures appearance, stats and even types. Disregarding the fact one of the main points of the TCG is to be able to collect all the creatures in the series, I only see them adding more Megas in the future video games which means more cards to make for these new evolutions.

RiverShock

Aspiring Trainer
Pokemon Tools were based on a more important mechanic than Megas. (In fact, one that is utilized FOR Mega Evolutions in the video games. ;p)

Also, the TCG and Video Games are pretty much unrelated mechanic-wise anyway. You can't damage Pokemon that aren't active in the video games, which has been possible in the TCG since the beginning. You can't Poison or Burn a Pokemon with a special condition in the video games, but you can confuse them, and special conditions can't override other conditions in the games. Unown's forms in the games are completely identical from a gameplay standpoint but VASTLY differ in the TCG. And so on.

Mega Evolution, all things considered, is a fairly minor gameplay mechanic. Nowhere near the level of stuff like held items or abilities or actual evolution. Note we haven't had Pokemon specifically featuring forme differences since Arceus. (HGSS Unowns I guess sort of count, but not in the traditional manner Unown are depicted. Any other depictions don't tend to offer any difference between them, they just pick a forme to depict the Pokemon in general, such as with Basculin.) And that's probably about as important as Mega Evolution.

Yes, Megas will likely continue to remain a feature (of course, given Feebas's evolution method, you'd have thought that about Contests, too...), but it doesn't mean they'll necessarily be an important one or one that TPCi will decide to promote in the TCG when Gen VII rolls around.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
mcnichoj said:
Because unlike shining and Lv.X, MegaEvolutions are actually a game mechanic. They change the creatures appearance, stats and even types. Disregarding the fact one of the main points of the TCG is to be able to collect all the creatures in the series, I only see them adding more Megas in the future video games which means more cards to make for these new evolutions.

(love the video; have seen it before, would see it again)

I do feel the need to point out, though, that Shining/Shiny ("Shining" being the Japanese term), is a game mechanic too. It may be just a cosmetic/rarity mechanic, but then, our most recent Shiny cards have been purely cosmetic/rare as well. Shiny Pokémon have been in and out of the TCG since Gen 2 under various names/rarities.

mcnichoj

Clutch Crutch
I will continue this joke till it doesn't become funny any more.
Good thing I have a awful sense of humor and never think anything stops being funny.
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP9PoBlFDp4[/video]

RiverShock said:
Mega Evolution, all things considered, is a fairly minor gameplay mechanic. Nowhere near the level of stuff like held items or abilities or actual evolution. Note we haven't had Pokemon specifically featuring forme differences since Arceus. (HGSS Unowns I guess sort of count, but not in the traditional manner Unown are depicted. Any other depictions don't tend to offer any difference between them, they just pick a forme to depict the Pokemon in general, such as with Basculin.) And that's probably about as important as Mega Evolution.

Yes, Megas will likely continue to remain a feature (of course, given Feebas's evolution method, you'd have thought that about Contests, too...), but it doesn't mean they'll necessarily be an important one or one that TPCi will decide to promote in the TCG when Gen VII rolls around.
They could revamp the whole game. Mega 'Saur gets 230HP and deals a whopping 120, ouch. Did I mention they made the required stage two's basics? Double ouch.
It wouldn't make sense to depict a MegaEvo on any other card other than a card that evolves form the respective monster. It's okay to make one Jellicent a male and then another card (or even the same card) a female but you couldn't make one card that evolves from Ivysaur be a regular Venusaur and the other cardt that also evolves from Ivy be a Mega, wouldn't make sense. (Although a future set down the line will probably do it but that won't phase out MegaEvo's being in the sets after that.)

Yeah, they will continue to be in the game which is my point.

Artemis said:
I do feel the need to point out, though, that Shining/Shiny ("Shining" being the Japanese term), is a game mechanic too. It may be just a cosmetic/rarity mechanic, but then, our most recent Shiny cards have been purely cosmetic/rare as well. Shiny Pokémon have been in and out of the TCG since Gen 2 under various names/rarities.
They tried to turn the whole concept from the RPG into this unique game concept and I guess it just stopped making sense or became stale and they felt like they were wasting time making these seperate forms when it just became a contest of "which one is better?".
Maybe it got too confusing for people, I had only ever encountered one legitimate shiny in a game without having to exploit stuff like RNG so people could have never known outside of Gyarados that shinies were a thing that exist.
Megas are pretty much forced upon you in the new game and on the cards themselves thye have multiple glaring differences from the previous stage card to prevent confusion.

The Megas also give them a legitimate reason for the first time to completely change a monsters element, ignoring typing conflicts between the element avilability in the RPG/TCG (Poison/ghost in TCG being grouped in with psychic, rock/ground/fighting being together, etc.) and that Delta Species nonsense which is when I had already stopped playing by.

RiverShock

Aspiring Trainer
...Why are you talking about type changes as if they matter. There's TWO Pokemon that gain a type when they Mega Evolve, Ampharos and Mewtwo. Dragon isn't a terribly useful type offensively in the TCG, and Mewtwo is... Awkward. Them deliberately doing a different type to the base forme is unlikely to happen. (It might happen if a second Pokemon that it can Mega Evolve from comes out, but the original one is unlikely to be a different type.) It doesn't help that most Mega Evolutions are of Pokemon that are very clearly primarily based on only one of their two types. (Or mono-type Pokemon.) There has only ever been 1 non-Metal Aggron, for instance. Houndoom and Aerodactyl are the only two that have had more than 2 cards of their less common type, and most of them have well over half a dozen cards. (Lucario also had more than 2 Metals, but only in Japan.)

Also, for the first time is a stretch. There were a few Pokemon Lv.X that had a base form of a different type (usually released at a different time period, of course) and a few abilities/powers (Crystal Pokemon ring a bell?) that can change the Pokemon's Type. (Including a couple in-format.) Sorry if I missed your point amongst that bit entirely, but it was pretty ill-defined.

Luispipe8

Pokémon Professor
RiverShock said:
...Why are you talking about type changes as if they matter. There's TWO Pokemon that gain a type when they Mega Evolve, Ampharos and Mewtwo.

Sure, because no one cares about Pinsir type gain, Gyarados's type change and Aggron's type loss. XD

RiverShock

Aspiring Trainer
I forgot about Pinsir, Charizard X and Gyarados admittedly, but only Gyarados's actually matters of the three. Colorless is a useless attacking type, and Dragon, as I mentioned, isn't very useful.

Aggron's type loss wasn't relevant for the point. (Even moreso since Aggron is virtually always Metal anyway.)