Mega Venusaur / Virizion Prediction

DarkraiGuy

Since 1997
Hey, so I was looking at the two megas that will be here before we know it, and I thought that mega venusaur looked like it had potential. So many people turn away from a pokemon with more than a 3 energy cost. However with Virizion powering up venusaur and taking away special conditions, Venusaur can do 120 plus virbank 30 for poison and you are paralyzing the opponent. Keldeo float stone may be hard to combat but never the less this card has some potential. Do you think that this deck could be one that becomes big?

I personally think this deck will be a big contender. I had the same thought for a new and possibly meta deck. Virizion EX as the engine, Mega Venasaur and Genesect as attackers. Mega Venusaur has part of what made a deck highly competitive at the time (Accelgor minus the item lock). Doing 120 damage with Poison and Paralyze is a big deal in my opinion, that is basically 130 damage (or 150 with Virbank) off of one attack, plus they can't attack or retreat manually. Sure Keldeo EX can Rush-In to cover that, but if it stays out there, thats 2 free prizes you can grab! Emboar or anything fire will get under its skin though. Blue Flare Reshiram will destroy Mega Venusaur in 1 hit, which would be a shame for all the set up on a big Pokemon like that, though M Venusaur can do the same for Reshiram. It all depends on who attacks who first. Some proxying and playtesting will be in order to see how this would do.

My opinion is that this will probably not be playable, because it theoretically goes like this:
T1- attach to Virizion and pass / beach
T2- attach to Virizion and Emerald Slash 2 to Venusaur EX
T3- attach to Venusaur EX and mega evolve
T4- attach to M Venasaur EX and start swinging.

That's FOUR TURNS to get ONE ATTACKER set up. Yes, that one attacker is good, but it's not that good.
You have no room for the Plasma Badge/Colress Machine engine, and there are many ways to get out of paralysis, every deck can do it. Keldeo, Virizion, Switch, Escape Rope etc. I would like to see this card be played successfully, but can't see it right now.

Grant pretty much said it all. The amount of set up required is unbelievably high...for what, 150 damage with Virbank? Sure, the paralysis is nice, but pretty much every deck can get out of it without much trouble. The only selling point is that Mega Venasaur breaks the 200 HP mark, but the set up required is just too much for this card to see any real competitive play.

The only way it could possibly get any attention is if XY has Mega Evolution support in some form (energy acceleration, maybe some way to work around the mega restriction, etc.)

I think Virizion is great for it's ability, but for acceleration, the deck would need something that doesn't already need two energy to attack. I'm thinking Victini EX with Victory Piece or Lunatone/Ether.

I think it'll come down to what's actually in the rest of the X/Y set, MCharizard could come out swinging with it's on energy booster like it did back in the day. Or any other Fire Pokemon for that matter. Right now though, it is pretty stellar and I have no doubts it'll see plenty of play in all formats as a fun deck.

PokeChimpo said:
I think it'll come down to what's actually in the rest of the X/Y set, MCharizard could come out swinging with it's on energy booster like it did back in the day. Or any other Fire Pokemon for that matter. Right now though, it is pretty stellar and I have no doubts it'll see plenty of play in all formats as a fun deck.

This is true. Perhaps grass will get more support too (the support it has now isn't bad, but compared to something like water or dark, it's lacking).

^Grass has the best support right now than it ever has iirc. But, yeah it's not as good as water or dark.
(I wish electric had more support right now... But it had its time in the spotlight for awhile)

I want Darkrai to go away, its been around for a long time taking 2 Worlds in a row! We need to see something else win (or...I want to anyways). *hopes Heliolisk card does something cool*

Aside from that, perhaps Shaymin can be a contender for an engine. Granted its just 1 energy a turn, but it needs 1 itself to get it running. Virizion EX is probably better considering if you do go first, it won't matter if you can Emerald Slash or not turn 1 because of the no attack rule. We'll just find out what Megas will do for our format when they release.

Both Blastoise EX (mega and not mega) & Venusaur EX (mega and not mega) are garbage for what they offer.

Both Megas have nothing new to offer. They're very vanilla EX's. and their megas arent worth the extra turn to evolve for black luster attacks. With the way most normal high tier EX (Darkrai, Genesect, Lugia, Keldeo, Rayquaza) all you did was inconvenience them into taking another turn to attack but thats ok because you wasted your time evolving. I'm just glad the Mega Evolutions arent like super broken powerful, it was probably best that they made the first two weak and then assess the strengths and weaknesses.

Just a thought, if fire would be that big of a loss, you could just run a 1-0-1 leavanny line, biggest weakness gone.

FearThePegasus said:
Just a thought, if fire would be that big of a loss, you could just run a 1-0-1 leavanny line, biggest weakness gone.

That's what I'd do if I ran this.

I saw this idea on a blog, Celebi EX. Celebi can let you use Venusaur basic EX's jungle hammer, which heals 30. It's one of the better ideas I've seen for Celebi.

Didn't Leavanny get rotated? Or was it reprinted?

pokedan24 said:
I saw this idea on a blog, Celebi EX. Celebi can let you use Venusaur basic EX's jungle hammer, which heals 30. It's one of the better ideas I've seen for Celebi.

Do we know we can do this for sure? It may not work like that. I'm not an expert though, and I haven't been paying attention to the Mega EX news.

Leavanny was reprinted in LT.

I don't see why the Celebi combo wouldn't work. You are still evolving the Mega EX (it follows the same rules).

Back