• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Alt. Format Mega Venusaur/Sceptile

DatSonicAce

Latios Superfan
Hey everyone! I love the fact that our big friend here http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-tcg/pokemon-cards/xy-series/xy1/2/ just got a Spirit Link and a Full Art. It's been too long. It just might find a place in the format, provided it can out-speed Flarecanion and other fire variants. Well, without further ado, here's my list:

Pokemon-15
3 Venusaur EX EVO
3 M Venusaur EX EVO
2 Shaymin EX ROS
1 Hoopa EX AOR
2 Treecko PRC
2 Grovyle PRC
2 Sceptile PRC

Trainers-37
4 Forest Of Giant Plants AOR
4 Trainers' Mail ROS
3 Venusaur Spirit Link EVO
3 Mega Turbo ROS
2 Super Rod BKT
4 Ultra Ball FCO
4 VS Seeker ROS
4 Professor Sycamore FCO
4 N FCO
2 Lysandre AOR
1 Hex Maniac AOR
1 Pokemon Ranger STS
1 Weakness Policy PRC

Energy-8
8 Grass Energy GEN

Strategy: Use Mega Turbo and Sceptile to power up M Venusaur, while healing up to 60 damage from Sceptile's ability. This allows me to get a very quick Crisis Vine, Paralzying and Poisoning my opponent's Pokemon. Crisis Vine guarantees a THKO on everything. 120+20=140+120=260.

Last edited:
Hey everyone! I love the fact that our big friend here http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-tcg/pokemon-cards/xy-series/xy1/2/ just got a Spirit Link and a Full Art. It's been too long. It just might find a place in the format, provided it can out-speed Flarecanion and other fire variants. Well, without further ado, here's my list:

Pokemon-15
3 Venusaur EX EVO
3 M Venusaur EX EVO
2 Shaymin EX ROS
1 Hoopa EX AOR
2 Treecko PRC
2 Grovyle PRC
2 Sceptile PRC

Trainers-37
4 Forest Of Giant Plants AOR
4 Trainers' Mail ROS
3 Venusaur Spirit Link EVO
3 Mega Turbo ROS
2 Super Rod BKT
4 Ultra Ball FCO
4 VS Seeker ROS
4 Professor Sycamore FCO
4 N FCO
2 Lysandre AOR
1 Hex Maniac AOR
1 Pokemon Ranger STS
1 Weakness Policy PRC

Energy-8
8 Grass Energy GEN

Strategy: Use Mega Turbo and Sceptile to power up M Venusaur, while healing up to 60 damage from Sceptile's ability. This allows me to get a very quick Crisis Vine, Paralzying and Poisoning my opponent's Pokemon. Crisis Vine guarantees a THKO on everything. 120+20=140+120=260.
Honestly, this deck seems pretty solid, only thing I'd say is that I'd drop an N and Sycamore for 2 Professor's Letter in order to provide Venusaur with more energy acceleration. What about good ol' Wally?

Honestly, this deck seems pretty solid, only thing I'd say is that I'd drop an N and Sycamore for 2 Professor's Letter in order to provide Venusaur with more energy acceleration. What about good ol' Wally?
Darn, forgot about Letter. Yeah I will definitely consider that, as I have 4 VS Seeker and 4 Trainers' Mail. As for Wally, I'm not so sure. Forest is better IMO because you can get a T1 Crisis Vine (potentially), and doesn't take your supporter. Not to mention, Forest bumps Sky Field which limits M Rayquaza to 150. If they smack you for 150, 2 Sceptile turns that into 110, leaving Venusaur with 120 remaining.

List edit:
-1 Sycamore
-1 N
-1 Forest of Giant Plants

+2 Professor's Letter
+1 Giovanni's Scheme (for Wailord, hit 280+10 from poison OHKOing it; adds draw)

I like this idea. I was just thinking about this today actually.

I would suggest trying to work at least 2 more grass energies in though. I know you're running a high super rod count, but it can still be a bit of a nightmare if you have no energies to attach from hand, when you'd ideally want to have at least 2 per turn to attach from hand.

Another issue is the mega turbo vs max elixir debate when it comes to megas. For most megas, max elixir works better when you're running all basic energies, since they have to wait a turn to evolve, and without battle compressor, we can't guarantee we'll even have any in the discard anyway. On the other hand, since forest of giant plants lets you evolve t1, and potentially attack t1, it makes it a much harder decision. I personally would go the max elixir route, since it gives you a much higher chance of being able to attack on your first turn (assuming you get stuck going second). But that's something you'll have to figure out as testing happens.

Honestly, I can't see the weakness policy actually being useful either. Even with it, volcanion isn't going to have too much trouble KO'ing you, especially since you'd have to waste a turn to mega evolve without the spirit link.

Pokemon ranger also feels like a bit of a dead card in here. You're not running special energies, so you're not worried about giratina. You've got a viable basic attacker, as well as a viable evolution attacker, and if need be, you can even attack with sceptile. So that throws jolteon, glaceon, and regice out the window as threats.

My suggestions-
-1 Pokemon Ranger
-1 Weakness Policy
-1 Professor's letter
-1 Giovanni (unless you see wailord as a huge meta threat in your area...it's not likely to see much play)

+2 Float stone
+1 Grass energy (or more if you can find spots)
+1 Forest of Giant Plants

Also, your draw supporters should most likely be a 4-2 skewed depending on which energy acceleration engine you decide on. Max elixir favors N, while mega turbo favors Sycamore. (Also, if you decide to go with the max elixirs, I would personally cut the professor's letter for an energy retrieval, and cut one of the super rods (as well as the 3 mega turbos) for the 4 max elixirs.

Overall, looks great though! I'm excited to test this out.

Back