Pokemon Mega Stones' Mystery

Leaf_Ranger

Knight of Nature and Pokémon
Not having played XY and seeing the reveal of Mega-Steelix, I came up with the idea that since Onix eats rocks to grow, and since Steelix has the mega-evolution colours in its crystals (unlike Mega-Sableye), then perhaps Mega Stones would come from Mega Steelix, just like Clamperl's pearl is used by Spoink.

Aside from the problem that Mega evolution is temporary and to harvest Mega Stones from Mega Steelix, it would also require a trainer and Mega Steelix to behave like a cow, I've searched for more information on Mega-stones and found that
According to Professor Sycamore, Mega Stones are the results of Evolutionary stones being irradiated by the power of the Legendary Pokemon Yveltal or Xerneas.

And so appeared the question as why Mega-evolution is also possible in Hoenn then?

- Either the explanation isn't good and the mechanic was introduced just by GF's will
or
- Xerneas and Yveltal will be two more Pokémon to be brought to Hoenn by those mysterious golden rings (story/mythwise, if Hoopa is behind it, then perhaps it has made that duo travel across the world and given rise to more and new Mega Stones).

What do you think? :)

Or storywise: Everyone at first assumed that Mega stones were only found in Kalos but then they found out that they were wrong.

Remember that Mega Rayquaza appears in a legend and we do not know how far back that legend goes. AZ is 3,000 plus years old but that legend might be older than him.

Well, even if at first people assumed Mega Stones were only found in Kalos, that wouldn't last so long that nowadays people still think that.

Rayquaza and Mega.Rayquaza are certainly a bit older than AZ, because it happened when the surface or the Earth was still being shaped and I'm guessing there would be humans (judging from the wall paintings that Steven Stone will show in ASOR) but not actual kingdoms like the ones in Isshu's story.

Fanfiction can offer endless possibilities, but I'd go with GF's will since Pokemon Origins story created some kind of a mega evolution paradox for me.

I don't even consider Origins as canon! It was just an attempt to bring aboard the Mega-evolution's boat Gen.I fans with nostalgia, a character that most people find waaay better than Ash, and with two Pokémon that were already subject of fan-service; Charizard and Mewtwo.

In the end, no explanation was given and we still havent' heard about that 2nd Mega-evolution special that has is own main character.

About fanfiction, sure it can offer possibilities, but like the name impies, it's not official. I would like for GF to stop and think a little about the Pokémon world, in order to create some continuity, instead of just making game anfter game and remakes. I'm still hoping to see some explanation in ASOR but I wouldn't be surprised if the question remains opened, just becase it's easier that way.

Leaf_Ranger said:
I don't even consider Origins as canon! It was just an attempt to bring aboard the Mega-evolution's boat Gen.I fans with nostalgia, a character that most people find waaay better than Ash, and with two Pokémon that were already subject of fan-service; Charizard and Mewtwo.

In the end, no explanation was given and we still havent' heard about that 2nd Mega-evolution special that has is own main character.

About fanfiction, sure it can offer possibilities, but like the name impies, it's not official. I would like for GF to stop and think a little about the Pokémon world, in order to create some continuity, instead of just making game anfter game and remakes. I'm still hoping to see some explanation in ASOR but I wouldn't be surprised if the question remains opened, just becase it's easier that way.

I would call it canon to its own universe just like how the regular anime is canon to its own universe, how the games are canon to their own universe/universes, and how the manga is canon to its own universe. Origins is canon, just not canon to the other forms of pokemon media.

Leaf_Ranger said:

I'm pretty sure there was an English dub, and it may have been on the official site, but... I don't think it's there anymore.

I think they're going to explain it, at least to an extent. Mega Rayquaza demands it.

Raptor9229 said:
Leaf_Ranger said:

I would call it canon to its own universe just like how the regular anime is canon to its own universe, how the games are canon to their own universe/universes, and how the manga is canon to its own universe. Origins is canon, just not canon to the other forms of pokemon media.

That's the thing, all other examples have a true universe. Origins is just a couple of episodes to promote something and it won't (or didn't) lasted.

Gentlefish said:
Leaf_Ranger said:

I'm pretty sure there was an English dub, and it may have been on the official site, but... I don't think it's there anymore.

I think they're going to explain it, at least to an extent. Mega Rayquaza demands it.

I also think that there was an English dub but it stil doesn't explained Mega-evolution. Sure, I wasn't expecting it to spill the beans about it right in the first episode, but I think in the end, it'll just be a more Mega-evolution-focused special without really explaining Mega-evolution and will probably lead to some journey to Hoenn in order to connect with ASOR.

I think that Mega Evolution was discovered in Kalos, then Steven Stone found something which he thought might be a Mega Stone. Turns out it was a Metagrossite, which he used to Mega-Evolve his Metagross. Now everyone in Hoenn wants to find more Mega Stones.

Skyleaf2000 said:
I think that Mega Evolution was discovered in Kalos, then Steven Stone found something which he thought might be a Mega Stone. Turns out it was a Metagrossite, which he used to Mega-Evolve his Metagross. Now everyone in Hoenn wants to find more Mega Stones.

But isn't XY set years after Hoenn?

Leaf_Ranger said:
Skyleaf2000 said:

Well... after RSE that is.

Whether ORAS are retconed into XY-times will be evident by whether there are going to be direct ingame references to that being the case.

But until now, all games that have been able to trade directly/released in the same generation, took place at about the same time.

FRLG-RSE

HGSS-DPt are 3 years later

BW-BW2 are several more years later

I'm not sure we know where XY even fit in there (someone correct me with a source please)

Mitja said:
Leaf_Ranger said:

Well... after RSE that is.

Whether ORAS are retconed into XY-times will be evident by whether there are going to be direct ingame references to that being the case.

But until now, all games that have been able to trade directly/released in the same generation, took place at about the same time.

FRLG-RSE

HGSS-DPt are 3 years later

BW-BW2 are several more years later

I'm not sure we know where XY even fit in there (someone correct me with a source please)

Well, apparently there was a somewhat official timeline released in May this year by a key person named Toshinobu Matsumiya:
http://imgur.com/pvba5Ur
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/696959-pokemon-x/69353687

Since I don't use Twitter nor am I familiar with it, I don't know if the pictures under "Translation" are indeed part of his tweet or just something added by someone else, since what appears written is R/S and not OR/AS.

If ASOR takes the exact same spot as their originals, then ASOR will retcon XY and prove Sycamore is wrong.

My thought is that there was some bad phrasing ... Mega Stones are irradiated by the power of Xerneas and/or Yveltal worldwide, but the Mega Stones were only identified as such in Kalos. They found Mega Stones in Hoenn, but had no idea what the heck they were. The Kalos scientists figured it out recently, then the news spread to other regions, and Hoenn scientists were all 'wait, they can do WHAT?!'

This is pretty fan-ficcy, I admit, but it makes sense to me.

FoxFire said:
My thought is that there was some bad phrasing ... Mega Stones are irradiated by the power of Xerneas and/or Yveltal worldwide, but the Mega Stones were only identified as such in Kalos. They found Mega Stones in Hoenn, but had no idea what the heck they were. The Kalos scientists figured it out recently, then the news spread to other regions, and Hoenn scientists were all 'wait, they can do WHAT?!'

This is pretty fan-ficcy, I admit, but it makes sense to me.

I actually like your reasoning and it would be acceptable if apparently ASOR wasn't set before XY and having Steven explaining Mega-evolution! We'll still have to wait and see if Steven knows about Xerneas and Yveltal and to what degree and how he explains Mega-evolution.

I think that ORAS will be actual different entities then RSE though. FRLG and HGSS were literally carbon copies with a few updates features and better graphics, but ORAS has an actually different storyline, and, a minor detail but in this case it is very important, the protagonist has a different name! Orlando, not Brendan. This means that they are two different people, and as such, two different games.

So it is very possible that ORAS comes after XY. In fact, it is assumed that it does so. Anyway, I believe it has been officially confirmed that Mewtwo's mega stones were created in a lab, just like Mewtwo itself. Following this, I think that mega stones are just created if one member of the species either does something incredible, or, and this one is more likely, achieves a perfect bond with their trainer. Friendship is magic reference and boom, the mega stone is created, to be used by any members of the same species with such a fantastic bond with their trainers.

I don't know if this is consitured off topic.. but what about mewtwo?

To clearify; Mewtwo is a man made pokemon created off a mew gene iirc. How does he have (2) mega stones if he himself wasn't even a natural entity? Even in the movie where he/she could mega evolve (Y), it just does it without explaination.. it doesn't have a bond with people like rayquaza's lore, it doesn't have a mega stone, I'm guessing it was just created that way? If it was created that way then it wouldn't need a stone in the first place.

Does this hint that all mega stones are potentally man made if mewtwoite was made? Maybe mew is involved with mega evolution and it's gene is used to create the stones for certain pokemon? (Heck, the mega evolution symbol kinda looks like a DNA strand starting to twist) The key stone is actually made by humans and turns certain evolution stones into mega stones? So much unexplained..

Note, however, that Korrina's grandma mentions a Mega Evolution user from hundreds or thousands of years back... a time where Mewtwo obviously didn't exist. So how come there are stones for Mewtwo as well now?

Celever said:
Friendship is magic reference

Rapidash is best pony.

I like that idea ... outside of a few Easter Eggs and off-handed dialogue, I've never really thought the Pokemon games worried too much about continuity*, and it's never bothered me. The Pokedex entries aren't even consistent (is Exeggcute seeds or eggs? Varies even in the same generation!). I simply accept them for the fun games they are.

If we really need a reason for the sudden reason there are Mega Stones suddenly popping up, even for Pokemon that are artificially created or eons old (Aerodactyl) ... Arceus did it. :)

*Excepting Gen 1-2, where the games are very obviously part of a continuous storyline.

MegaBeedrill said:

To clearify; Mewtwo is a man made pokemon created off a mew gene iirc. How does he have (2) mega stones if he himself wasn't even a natural entity? Even in the movie where he/she could mega evolve (Y), it just does it without explaination.. it doesn't have a bond with people like rayquaza's lore, it doesn't have a mega stone, I'm guessing it was just created that way? If it was created that way then it wouldn't need a stone in the first place.

Does this hint that all mega stones are potentally man made if mewtwoite was made? Maybe mew is involved with mega evolution and it's gene is used to create the stones for certain pokemon? (Heck, the mega evolution symbol kinda looks like a DNA strand starting to twist) The key stone is actually made by humans and turns certain evolution stones into mega stones? So much unexplained..
I have been wondering that since X and Y came out. I really hope GF makes an explanation for that at some point.

MegaBeedrill said:

It's on-topic since it rightfully adds more mystery to Mega Stones and the lack of a coherent explanation. Your point and example is a very good one! :)

Mega stones are created from evolutionary stones irradiated by Xerneas and Yveltal, so that rules out being man made. Now, using your thinking, I would say that Mew's DNA isn't used on them but may actually be part of them (evolutionary stones that is), since Xerneas and Yveltal may be very well created/"evolutions" from Mew (unlike Dialga, Palkia, Giratina and I can't remember if the Emotion trio too), so traces or even just being mutated DNA may have allowed somehow for Mewtwo to evolve. That said, I still can't figure out if the M.stones', namely Mewtwo's, names are created by humans because they don't work with other Pokémon, which still raises the question if any M.Stone can work with Mewtwo but not the other way around or if Xerneas and Yveltal somehow - perhaps when awakening during XY -, irradiated light on new stones to allow for Mega-evolution for Pokémon not known the last time they awakened (assuming that somehow evo. stones and Mega stones are all connected to the Pokémon wildlife and it wouldn't require for Xerneas and Yveltal to meet a Pokémon to create a stone for it and hence why the stones' names are also attributed by humans).

FoxFire said:
(...)
I like that idea ... outside of a few Easter Eggs and off-handed dialogue, I've never really thought the Pokemon games worried too much about continuity*, and it's never bothered me. The Pokedex entries aren't even consistent (is Exeggcute seeds or eggs? Varies even in the same generation!). I simply accept them for the fun games they are.

If we really need a reason for the sudden reason there are Mega Stones suddenly popping up, even for Pokemon that are artificially created or eons old (Aerodactyl) ... Arceus did it. :)

*Excepting Gen 1-2, where the games are very obviously part of a continuous storyline.
(...)

The worse is that there's an explanation but lacking, namely given in a short generation that might have ended that way due to ASOR! GF should retcon the small explanation with ASOR and perhaps Z (or X2Y2). I honestly prefer when there's no explanation and we can all imagine and discuss freely than one that gives us too many questions when we start thinking about it.

Back