• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard mega rayquaza

Ultra4ever

Aspiring Trainer
Updated decklist

pokemon
3x rayquaza ex ros 75
3x m rayquaza ex ros 76
4x shaymin ex ros 77
1x tauros gx
2x hoopa ex aor 36
1x dragonite ex evo 72
1x jolteon ex
1x jirachi XY67
supporters
3x professor sycamore
1x N
1x lysandre
1x brocks grit
1x hex maniac
stadiums
4x sky field
items
4x vs seeker
4x ultra ball
4x trainers mail
4x puzzle of time
3x mega turbo
3x rayquaza spirit link
1x super rod
1x float stone
1x escape rope
energy
4x double colorless energy
4x lightning energy

i was just wondering if this was a good decklist or if there is anything i could improve upon

Last edited:
Lillie is still kind of weak in standard until we get Tapu Lele since there's not a reliable path to getting her turn 1 when she's strongest. I'd ditch that for either a Brock or a Karen as a recoverable way to get pokemon out of discard. Karen is preferable if you're running into a lot of vespiquen, otherwise Brock is probably lower risk.

Magearna is an interesting option for your obligatory 'I have to run 4 basic energies so I might as well tech this in' slot. Any secondary effects in particular you're afraid of? I personally prefer 4 lighting and Jolteon-EX in that slot just because Jolteon is a zero retreat cost basic so you're happy to start with it, and it will sometimes just auto-win you the game especially online. But this is just personal preference, I think Magearna/Metal is a pretty good option. This list is solid overall.

Lillie is still kind of weak in standard until we get Tapu Lele since there's not a reliable path to getting her turn 1 when she's strongest. I'd ditch that for either a Brock or a Karen as a recoverable way to get pokemon out of discard. Karen is preferable if you're running into a lot of vespiquen, otherwise Brock is probably lower risk.

Magearna is an interesting option for your obligatory 'I have to run 4 basic energies so I might as well tech this in' slot. Any secondary effects in particular you're afraid of? I personally prefer 4 lighting and Jolteon-EX in that slot just because Jolteon is a zero retreat cost basic so you're happy to start with it, and it will sometimes just auto-win you the game especially online. But this is just personal preference, I think Magearna/Metal is a pretty good option. This list is solid overall.

I generally agree with this. I like Lillie in some decks. Not so sure this is one of them though given that Shaymin is really your draw. I was thinking the list could use a second Dragonite. Not saying drop Lillie + add Dragonite, more saying that Dragonite is probably where you get your Shaymins back when your opponent inevitably replaces your sky field a couple times :)

I honestly think Brock is probably the better choice for this deck over Karen and I am a huge proponent of Karen :D

thanks for the reply. the reason i run the magearna build is so that i can avoid glaceons crystal ray. if i were to remove the lillie for the karen, then what would replace my 2nd super rod for

EDIT: just relised magearna doesn't stop glaceon XD. which build should i go for, manaphy or jolteon

Last edited:
Jolteon is my personal preference. I assumed you went Magearna to prevent Jirachi-XY from stalling you which is good in paper play but not as necessary for online play since that card is so rare online. Jolteon is weaker in a competitive paper setting because more people tech rangers and run more switch cards to get around it.

Manaphy gives you extra mobility but IMO it's really a 'rich get richer' kind of card in this deck. It's great to have if you're already in a good position and have at least 2 powered up Rays in play since it lets you move around to prevent KOs but it doesn't do as much for you if you're getting counterplayed or dead drawing. Manaphy buys you another turn at most in those situations while Jolteon could potentially be flash ray stalling for several. Jolteon also slightly increases the probability of getting a Rayquaza in your active turn 1 since it doesn't need a secondary card to retreat.

Tauros-GX is another option, any deck that runs DCEs and float stones should consider it as a one of, even if it doesn't make a ton of sense from a high strategical perspective. The card just creates so many awkward positions for your opponent.

As far as the rod goes, it's not necessarily bad to keep 2 in a deck like this but I think a second Dragonite might be better there since you have a tool to search for it while you don't with the rod. I'd run Brock over Karen unless you have a good reason to run Karen because Brock doesn't let the opponent have resources back and also lets you bring back basic energies which you may sometimes want. Having redundancy with the tools you need to keep bench size up is pretty important in a meta where I see so many decks running 1-3 parallel cities and delinquent. The fact that Megaray is still high tier despite being so universally teched against speaks to its power.

Jolteon is my personal preference. I assumed you went Magearna to prevent Jirachi-XY from stalling you which is good in paper play but not as necessary for online play since that card is so rare online. Jolteon is weaker in a competitive paper setting because more people tech rangers and run more switch cards to get around it.

Manaphy gives you extra mobility but IMO it's really a 'rich get richer' kind of card in this deck. It's great to have if you're already in a good position and have at least 2 powered up Rays in play since it lets you move around to prevent KOs but it doesn't do as much for you if you're getting counterplayed or dead drawing. Manaphy buys you another turn at most in those situations while Jolteon could potentially be flash ray stalling for several. Jolteon also slightly increases the probability of getting a Rayquaza in your active turn 1 since it doesn't need a secondary card to retreat.

Tauros-GX is another option, any deck that runs DCEs and float stones should consider it as a one of, even if it doesn't make a ton of sense from a high strategical perspective. The card just creates so many awkward positions for your opponent.

As far as the rod goes, it's not necessarily bad to keep 2 in a deck like this but I think a second Dragonite might be better there since you have a tool to search for it while you don't with the rod. I'd run Brock over Karen unless you have a good reason to run Karen because Brock doesn't let the opponent have resources back and also lets you bring back basic energies which you may sometimes want. Having redundancy with the tools you need to keep bench size up is pretty important in a meta where I see so many decks running 1-3 parallel cities and delinquent. The fact that Megaray is still high tier despite being so universally teched against speaks to its power.

i really cant afford a draronite ex at the moment so are there any other options like a tauros or something

Edit btw im a irl player

Running the deck without a second Dragonite should be fine for the time being, I'd just keep the second super rod in in that case. Again, redundancy in your bench refilling mechanisms is extremely important.

Running the deck without a second Dragonite should be fine for the time being, I'd just keep the second super rod in in that case. Again, redundancy in your bench refilling mechanisms is extremely important.

also if one is prized

so jolteon or magearna for irl

Jolteon is certainly the more common tech in this deck. I have also seen a deck rolling Volcanion EX. Tauros GX is another common tech. Jolteon definitely provides the most mobility. I personally would lean toward Tauros, but that matches my play style. A wall is good. A beast staring at you and getting ready to demolish your active if you hit it for 60-80 damage is all sorts of intimidating!

Back