Discussion Mega Pidgeot EX viability

gman21

If only my avatar was real
I just recently got some money and I was considering buying the cards to build Mega Pidgeot. I was wondering if this deck has any competitive viability. If this deck is not viable then please tell me of another cheapish competitive deck.

Standard or expanded?

(its not really viable in either but knowing the format can help give you an alterntive although I cant help you if you don't have/cant afford shaymins)

I'm liking it so far but the article I'm writing is having a tough time getting publish and its designed to help people like you.

I'm liking it so far but the article I'm writing is having a tough time getting publish and its designed to help people like you.
Yes I would love to read your article when it comes out. And I feel that this deck can be good.

The issue with the deck is that nobody has found any good partners. I've been playing it with a 3-3 line of Roaring Skies Banette (the one that makes tools have no effect) and 3 devolution spray so it doesn't affect me; if you outspeed your opponent at Mega Evolving, they cannot without ending their turn or taking down Banette (to which you can easily replace) and their Float Stones have no effect (which I found was the main issue with deck, as I found most were running float stone to retreat easily off of at least 1 Pokemon, but not always Switch or Escape Rope)

Shrine of Memories also means that if they don't one-hit you (for example they only pull together 190 damage [etc], you can hit them back for that with Mirror Move which is very good). I also run 2 Max Potion so that if they're not quite at the knock-out, they have to start over (if you can't find Double Colorless and a Mega Turbo after, if you can just find one energy you can just hit them back with Mirror Move so that the turn isn't a waste).

Last edited:
Yeah thanks I was considering banette but then I would need to waste a turn evolving. I have been testing just a straight 4-3 line of pidgeot and 4 max potions and it's been going pretty well.

if pidgeot should even become big. your asking for a long game against mewtwo.

Damage change

heal pidgeot, mirror move

damage change

lol

The issue with the deck is that nobody has found any good partners. I've been playing it with a 3-3 line of Roaring Skies Banette (the one that makes tools have no effect) and 3 devolution spray so it doesn't affect me; if you outspeed your opponent at Mega Evolving, they cannot without ending their turn or taking down Banette (to which you can easily replace) and their Float Stones have no effect (which I found was the main issue with deck, as I found most were running float stone to retreat easily off of at least 1 Pokemon, but not always Switch or Escape Rope)

Shrine of Memories also means that if they don't one-hit you (for example they only pull together 190 damage [etc], you can hit them back for that with Mirror Move which is very good). I also run 2 Max Potion so that if they're not quite at the knock-out, they have to start over (if you can't find Double Colorless and a Mega Turbo after, if you can just find one energy you can just hit them back with Mirror Move so that the turn isn't a waste).

Pidgeot doesn't really need any partners. It does well by itself but it could use Mewtwo to make the M Mewtwo-EX matchup much better. You really don't need Banette because you rather use tool cards to improve other matchups. The way it seems to me is you have 9 cards in your deck that don't do anything for you. The goal isn't to play Mega Pidgeot like its Mega Rayquaza. I don't know what your list is though.

if pidgeot should even become big. your asking for a long game against mewtwo.

Damage change

damage change

lol
The problem is mewtwo places damage counters and pidgeot does damage from damage

Pidgeot doesn't really need any partners. It does well by itself but it could use Mewtwo to make the M Mewtwo-EX matchup much better. You really don't need Banette because you rather use tool cards to improve other matchups. The way it seems to me is you have 9 cards in your deck that don't do anything for you. The goal isn't to play Mega Pidgeot like its Mega Rayquaza. I don't know what your list is though.

I play the deck fast to out-setup my opponent, and force them to have the Pokemon they were setting up out of the active. Banette abuses the fact that most decks just run 1/2 Float Stones to avoid stalling/retreat issues which allows you to hit other things to be weaker or Lysandre forward the Pokemon they were setting up while not taking any damage (because they don't have anything that's set up active).

This also means things like Fighting Fury Belt are a wasted slot (and makes you only doing 130 damage a bit more respectable), as well as forcing other mega decks to waste a turn evolving (which is a very big deal)

Last edited:
I play the deck fast to out-setup my opponent, and force them to have the Pokemon they were setting up out of the active. Banette abuses the fact that most decks just run 1/2 Float Stones to avoid stalling/retreat issues which allows you to hit other things to be weaker or Lysandre forward the Pokemon they were setting up while not taking any damage (because they don't have anything that's set up active).

This also means things like Fighting Fury Belt are a wasted slot (and makes you only doing 130 damage a bit more respectable), as well as forcing other mega decks to waste a turn evolving (which is a very big deal)

That is good and all but it turns off your tool cards as well. I just think playing Mega Pidgeot like its Mega Rayquaza is the wrong way to play it. I considered Banette for a while but found other things to be much better that indirectly affects the flow of the game.

My current deck list

Pokémon
4 Pidgeot EX
3 M Pidgeot EX

Trainers
4 vs seeker
4 professor sycamore
4 max potion
4 trainers' mail
4Mega turbo
4 ultra ball
4 puzzle of time
3 N
3 Pidgeot spirit link
3 shrine of memories
2 Lysander
1 Pokémon ranger
1 hex maniac
1 energy switch
1 professors letter

Energy
7 basic energy really does not matter
4 DCE

This is my list so far

Mega Pidgeot has a couple potential partners, most with a similar attack pattern of (Some Energy)(Colorless)(Colorless), basically, if it can be used in Rayquaza, it can be used in Mega Pidgeot. Here are a few that are pretty good:

Water: Regice + Glaceon EX + Manaphy

Dark: Yveltal BKT + Yveltal EX + Yveltal XY

Electric: Jolteon

Metal: Magearna EX + Magearna Promo

Make a colorless deck. Run Pidgeot EX with Dragonite EX (EVO) with Ratatatta (EVO) Raticate (EVO) and Raticate Break (XY Breakpoint) with Team Plasma Lugia EX. Make sure you run enhaced hammers for Raticate. Raticate Break brings down HP to 10 and then get extra prizes with Lugia. Use drgonite to bring back ratatta's if needed. Use Pidgeot to cycle through the pokemon on the bench. It would be fun and really kind of a screw over deck. Deck list as follows:

Pokemon-14
x2 Pidgeot EX
x2 M Pidgeot EX
x2 Lugia EX Team Plasma
x2 Ratatta (EVO)
x2 Raticate (EVO)
x2 Raticate Break (BP)
x2 Dragonite EX (EVO)

Stadiums-3
x2 Shrine of Memories
x1 Asperia City Gym

Items-23
x4 Trainers Mail
x4 Ultraball
x2 Special Charge
x2 VS Seeker
x2 Pidgeot Spirit Link
x4 Enhanced Hammers
x1 Scramble Switch
x4 Colress Machine

Supporters-8
x4 Sycamore
x2 Olympia
x2 Team Flare Grunt

Energy-12
x4 Palsma Energy
x4 DCE
x4 Basic Energy

Total Cards-60

The Idea is to use Pidgeot to get who you want while damaging others. Use Lugia to finish off each pokemon. Use Raticate to spread damage and to bring down to 10 hp. Use Dragonite to bring back any basics and do 130 if you need to. Enhaced hammers to make Raticate more deadly. Ratatta to get rid of tools. Lugia to get bonus prizes for a fast win.. This is expanded of coarse. I think this is a great Idea I may try it myself.

Make a colorless deck. Run Pidgeot EX with Dragonite EX (EVO) with Ratatatta (EVO) Raticate (EVO) and Raticate Break (XY Breakpoint) with Team Plasma Lugia EX. Make sure you run enhaced hammers for Raticate. Raticate Break brings down HP to 10 and then get extra prizes with Lugia. Use drgonite to bring back ratatta's if needed. Use Pidgeot to cycle through the pokemon on the bench. It would be fun and really kind of a screw over deck. Deck list as follows:

Pokemon-14
x2 Pidgeot EX
x2 M Pidgeot EX
x2 Lugia EX Team Plasma
x2 Ratatta (EVO)
x2 Raticate (EVO)
x2 Raticate Break (BP)
x2 Dragonite EX (EVO)

Stadiums-3
x2 Shrine of Memories
x1 Asperia City Gym

Items-23
x4 Trainers Mail
x4 Ultraball
x2 Special Charge
x2 VS Seeker
x2 Pidgeot Spirit Link
x4 Enhanced Hammers
x1 Scramble Switch
x4 Colress Machine

Supporters-8
x4 Sycamore
x2 Olympia
x2 Team Flare Grunt

Energy-12
x4 Palsma Energy
x4 DCE
x4 Basic Energy

Total Cards-60

The Idea is to use Pidgeot to get who you want while damaging others. Use Lugia to finish off each pokemon. Use Raticate to spread damage and to bring down to 10 hp. Use Dragonite to bring back any basics and do 130 if you need to. Enhaced hammers to make Raticate more deadly. Ratatta to get rid of tools. Lugia to get bonus prizes for a fast win.. This is expanded of coarse. I think this is a great Idea I may try it myself.
I don't think this form could be viable because it seems way to clunky.

A lot of Pidgeot decks I see run it with a lot of other stuff. If your goal is to just discard energy and hit big with Raticate, then why do you need Pidgeot. Sure Pidgeot is splashable in decks as a meat shield but a lot of people are putting it in decks that don't need it. This is why I say Pidgeot don't have many partners because you want something that can cover its weakness.

Back