• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Mega Gyarados EX: The Heavy Swinger! (2017 Standard)

GolurkChamp2597

Long Time Champion
Hey guys, I'm back again with a slightly relevant Mega EX card, similar to Beedrill. This tike, I'm taking a look at Mega Gyarados EX and how to really run this bulky Water-Box deck. With so much water support right now, I think a list involving the strongest Water type Mega Evolution could be quite fun. Let's jump into the list.

Pokemon: 15
3 Palkia EX
3 Gyarados EX
3 Mega Gyarados EX
1 Regice
2 Manaphy EX
1 Hoopa EX
2 Shaymin EX

Trainer Cards: 32
4 Professor Sycamore
2 N
1 Lysandre

4 Dive Ball
3 Ultra Ball
4 VS Seeker
3 Trainer's Mail
3 Gyarados Spirit Link
4 Max Elixir
1 Escape Rope
1 Super Rod

2 Sky Field

Energy: 13
13 Basic Water Energy

I really do enjoy this Gyarados list, with the potential to get many energies on the board as possible. However, the deck is very tightly packed, so squeezing Energy Switch in there is rather difficult. However, I feel that this is a super consistent list. Let's study the matchups:

Dark/Dragons: With both decks running energy acceleration, it's more of a matter of luck for who gets set up first. With Palkia accelerating much faster than Dark, this shouldn't be too much of a concern. However, Parallel City could also be a huge downfall for this deck.

Yveltal/Mew: The object of this deck is to lessen the prize trade thanks to Mew, while still hitting big numbers with Yveltal (BKT) and Yveltal EXs attack. Try to avoid Mew as much as possible with the Mega, and try to take Mew out with a Manaphy instead. It can attack for 2 Energy and heal any Pitch black Spears on your bench.

Rainbow Road: Another interesting matchup, since they can easily snipe with Galvantula as well as only lose 1 prize for all of their attackers. Try to get Gyarados going as soon as possible to sweep through their pokemon.

Volcanion/Volcanion EX: Between Regice hitting for weakness and Gyarados hitting super hard, Volcanion should be a rather easy matchup. It's very hard, if not impossible, for Volcanion to hit 240. Just be wary of the EX attack, as that can hit for as much as 250.

FairyTina: Same situation as Dark Dragons, try to get set up as fast as possible and start sweeping before they do.

May I suggest Maybe two or so Pokemon Rangers for Giratina's effect on his pokemon. Maybe some hex manics or silent lab for giratinas ability. Other than that you have your basis covered. I ran silent lab which really screwed up Giratina decks a lot. I know it hampers manaphy but sometimes the situation calls for less free retreat and more screw over for giratina. But hex maniac could be good alos due to only cancelling for one turn especially if you have no need to retreat that turn. Pokemon Ranger would be good to get rid of the effects of Giratina's Chaos Wheel and/or if you get poisoned, paralyzed, ect. Other than that it is a pretty solid build.

Back