Mega Evolution Cards

Ndless

Aspiring Trainer
Do you think they'll get to all of the Mega Evolutions in the TCG? I'm really hoping for a Mega Mawile myself, but I have no idea how the decide which ones to bring over to the TCG.

I thought it might be by popularity; Charizard, Lucario, Gardevoir, but then there are some what I assume to be less popular ones; Kangaskhan, Manectric.

If they don't get to all of them which ones do you think we'll be seeing and what will get left out?

I feel that PCL is focusing more on completing the Megas introduced in XY, not ORAS. The only ORAS mega/primals are Kyogre, Metagross and Groudon, and the upcoming Rayquaza. We've got Venesaur, Charizard X & Y, Blastoise, Gengar, Kanga, Heracross, Gardy, Aggron, Absol and Lucario, and I think I read about an upcoming Blaziken (making 12). About half of the XY megas (28).

I'm sure we will see M-Gyarodos in the near future, possibly in this upcoming set.

I hope we see M gyarodos as well as M alakazam. Gyarodos is just a power house and i have always liked Alakazam

Correction, Japan has M. Absol. No one else does, at least at the moment. There is no M. Blaziken coming up either to my knowledge. You're thinking of the promo Blaziken EX that was mentioned in Rayquaza Mega Battle Jumbo Pack in mid April. Although since we still don't know what the other mega will be in Emerald Break, it could turn out to be M. Blaziken.

Don't forget that while we don't have M. Absol, we do have M. Diancie, also an ORAS mega.

I think we will eventually have all of the megas in the card game. But at the rate it's going it will take around four years for it to happen. We are missing 35 mega Pokemon between XY and ORAS (including M. Absol as again only Japan has it right now) and if they release two per set it will take 13 sets to get them out.

It should be noted though that I would think M. Absol will be released in a premum collection at some point. Likewise when they get to M. Mewtwo X and M. Mewtwo Y that will be done is a vein similar to M. Charizard X and M. Charizard Y, where Japan has one in a deck that gets added to our sets.

It should also be noted that this only holds up if the (theoretical) X2/Y2 OR Z game doesn't introduce anymore megas, which I think is unlikely, I think we'll be getting more if/when these games come out.

It just depends on how they want to do it. Not all of these cards have to be released in main sets. And if they are that desperate to get them all out they could do a product similar to Dragon's Vault.

I wouldn't be surprised if we were still missing some Megas by the time the next new card gimmick rolls around and EXes and/or Megas have been left behind. After all, we still never got that Suicune EX. :p

It'll probably become a mix of old and new Megas. Primal Clash isn't that surprising since the existing Megas chosen are also Hoenn Pokemon. Though really, three of the like five Mega cards released around Primal Clash (including Diancie) are new, so I don't think there's any hint that any new ones will mostly be existing ones. Think of it like how they choose regular Pokemon in sets. The first couple of each block usually focus on one region, and then further sets introduce cards for older Pokemon in addition to the new ones.

As for the initial question... I don't expect all Megas will show up. Even with an overly ambitious estimate of 10 more sets for the XY era, with the 2 a set trend, we won't get them all. There's still what, 16 or so XY Megas we lack, and I doubt we'll even get 8 more XY sets. The only series with more than 11 was the EX era. (And I suspect the Platinum and HGSS blocks were done specifically so no series was ever that big again, though Platinum DID continue the mechanics of Diamond/Pearl, so who knows, maybe EX's will remain in the next series.)

As I already said, we're missing 35 total megas between the ones in XY and ORAS.

We've had the same EX cards since BW. Unless they replace this gimmick, which seems unlikely, even when we move onto the next generation it is very likely they will continue to make new EX's and possibly megas. The megas themselves are probably something that will remain in the franchise, both game and cards, for a long time to come.

Ever wonder if they should have handled this differently? I mean, we already had a Kyogre EX and Groudon EX in Dark Explorers and Rayquaza EX in Dragons Exalted, not to mention Latias EX and Latios EX in Plasma Freeze. Rotation reasoning aside, was it really necessary to remake them when instead they could have just gone ahead and made the Primals or Megas instead as some kind of collection a la M. Diancie EX collection and saved that room for megas who have no previous EX form? Really, how easier would these megas have been to get out if it weren't for the rotation, and the inability to use past EX's in the R/S/E sets. For that matter, aside from the fact one can't really make evolution decks these days and expect to win apparently, why megas even had to be done in EX form as opposed to just another stage of evolution in the card game? I mean in the video game you don't just start with a Charizard, you have to raise it from a Charmander and then get the mega stone on top of it. I know it's not entirey fitting for a card game, but to evolve from basic EX Pokemon seems just as extreme.

Pikachu6319 said:
...For that matter, aside from the fact one can't really make evolution decks these days and expect to win apparently, why megas even had to be done in EX form as opposed to just another stage of evolution in the card game? I mean in the video game you don't just start with a Charizard, you have to raise it from a Charmander and then get the mega stone on top of it. I know it's not entirey fitting for a card game, but to evolve from basic EX Pokemon seems just as extreme.

Isn't that essentially what LV. X cards did?

In large part yes, that is what Lv. X Pokemon did. Except for the obvious legendary or big basic Pokemon which would still be in the same branch as EX types.

The one large gameplay difference though is when a Lv. X was played on top of the respective Pokemon, the Lv. X card also had a rule that allowed that Pokemon to use the attacks and abilites that was underneath the Lv. X card http://pokebeach.com/scans/majestic-dawn/99-leafeon-lv.x.jpg and I don't know what they would have done with it for megas. Though I suppose really that text would have been replaced by the mega evolution rule.

The real problem behind this, I suspect, is that for the purposes of card play it just wasn't realistic to expect to be able to do this kind of thing, not in enviroments where a game can be over in a few turns. This has really been something that can be done even back in the days of Base set but I think it's been more prevelant since about BW then it ever was prior too. Rather it's any better than seeing, for example, a basic 70HP Pokemon hit 20 damage on a 180HP EX is open for debate at another time.

Gonna have to agree with bbninjas on this one. So far the focus on getting the Mega's from XY set has been bigger then ORAS, and I think it will continue to be that way for the next year or 2

I think Mega Gallade and Mega Latios coming in Roaring Skies puts a bit of a dent in that theory. Also lets not forget that Mega Diancie is also considered a ORAS mega evolution. Granted that's not as many ORAS megas as there are already XY megas. XY had twenty eight megas while ORAS had twenty megas. XY has had eleven done already (with another coming end of May, Mega Absol) while ORAS has had two done (with three more coming beginning of May in Roaring Skies).

It makes it a little skewed but it's a lot harder to judge until we get at least another set out.

All of these numbers can easily get messed up though if Z or X2/Y2 introduce new megas though.

What I'm imagining right now - and it's a worrisome thought - is what happens when EX Pokemon get 'rotated' out of the gimmick lineup. Here's what I imagine happening:

EX Pokemon are slowly phased out, and Megas slowly become... 'bigger' Stage 2s (depending on the Pokemon); this could mean we get more of the Megas in a set, but following my theory, it may hurt the set as a whole since there would be more unplayable cards (Stage 2s are already burdens to begin with at the moment), and there may be a giant power creep if EXs get rotated out.

For that to happen they would have to ideally change the way the format is. To the point where it was more encouraged to evolve your Pokemon, up to and including the theoretical stage 1-3 (depending on the Pokemon as M. Heracross or M. Mawile would be stage 1, M. Scizor or M. Kangaskhan would be stage 2 and M. Blastoise or M. Venusaur would be stage 3 for example). The truth is though I don't know how they would go about doing it as you are right that stage 2's and even stage 1's to an extent are competitive burdens.

The realistic thing, for better or for worse, is that we will continue to get mega Pokemon and their 'stage' forms, through EX Pokemon considering that aside from a small hiatus in DP/HGSS EX's have been around pretty consistently. They are in fact one of only three Pokemon themes to be around for more than one run, the other being Team Rocket's Dark Pokemon and now Team Aqua/Magma Pokemon.

Back