Discussion Mega Blastoise Deck - Is It Viable?

RealMemeHours

Doubles God
I'm trying to think of a decent list I could use in order to make a Mega Blastoise Deck, as the card was reprinted in Evolutions with a spirit link. Personally I think the card has a lot of potential, and I'm looking for other people's ideas on what a decent Mega Blastoise Deck would contain.

No, I'm not looking for the obligatory, "This card isn't viable" comment. Yes, I know it isn't Seismitoad-EX or Greninja BREAK. On the other hand I still think it's a pretty decent Water Type with a good damage output and the potential to heal 90+ HP per turn (Rough Seas + Pokemon Center Lady).

Also, no this deck won't be waterbox. It will be strictly Mega Blastoise based.

plz help

Here's a list I just made up.

Pokémon: 13

4 Blastoise-EX (XY Base or Evolutions)

3 M Blastoise- EX (XY Base or Evolutions)

1 Hoopa-EX

2 Manaphy-EX

1 Regice (AOR)

1 Absol (RSK)

Trainer: 35

4 Professor Sycamore

2 N

1 Professor Birch’s Observations

2 Lysandre

1 Pokémon Center Lady

3 Dive Ball

2 Ultra Ball

4 VS Seeker

3 Blastoise Spirit Link

1 Super Rod

3 Trainer’s Mail

3 Mega Turbo

3 Max Elixr

3 Rough Seas

Energy: 12

12 Water

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Moved from the TCG Help to the TCG Competitive as the OP is looking for discussion on the deck's viability.

Last edited:

Tacotocano

Aspiring Trainer
I have been playou testing this deck since pre release. And it has proven to be amazing.

I play octillery in my list as he proves to be very consistant.

Sword.N

Aspiring Trainer
I'll suggest run Garbodor to fight against Giratina (and something else like Yanmega) , and move Absol and Manaphy out. 120+30 is not something huge .You can run one copy of Giovanni's Scheme instead .
If you play Hoopa ,change 2 Dive Balls into Ultra Balls to pull Hoopa out as early as possible .

RealMemeHours

Doubles God
I'll suggest run Garbodor to fight against Giratina (and something else like Yanmega) , and move Absol and Manaphy out. 120+30 is not something huge .You can run one copy of Giovanni's Scheme instead .
If you play Hoopa ,change 2 Dive Balls into Ultra Balls to pull Hoopa out as early as possible .
Sounds good.

I run Absol just to move damage around the board, but with the lack of AZ or Scoop Up I can see why he wouldn't work.
Manaphy is pretty decent for its free retreat aswell, but I can see why running Garbodor could be a better option.

csb

Aspiring Trainer
Garb would definitely help with the Tina match up. Also Volcanion could give you some issues early if they can get moving quickly. With dealing bench damage, you might look at something like Articuno from Roaring Skies (with the ancient trait). It would be able to swoop in, and pick up easy 2 prize knockouts. Energy switch could be something to look at as well.
You could almost build the deck similar to the Water Toolbox deck's that were popular around Worlds, Nationals. Replacing Seismitoad, with Blastoise.

RealMemeHours

Doubles God
Garb would definitely help with the Tina match up. Also Volcanion could give you some issues early if they can get moving quickly. With dealing bench damage, you might look at something like Articuno from Roaring Skies (with the ancient trait). It would be able to swoop in, and pick up easy 2 prize knockouts. Energy switch could be something to look at as well.
You could almost build the deck similar to the Water Toolbox deck's that were popular around Worlds, Nationals. Replacing Seismitoad, with Blastoise.
I don't want to build something too similar to Waterbox, but in today's meta I can see how it would be a decent choice. I'll look into it.

AquaDragon82

The Canadian Gamer
I know that you're trying not to make it a Waterbox deck but I think Palkia-EX would be a very nice edition since it would help accelerate your Mega Balstoise quickly.

RealMemeHours

Doubles God
I know that you're trying not to make it a Waterbox deck but I think Palkia-EX would be a very nice edition since it would help accelerate your Mega Balstoise quickly.
I disagree. While running Mega Turbo and Max Elixr, setting up shouldn't be that hard. Plus I have no idea what I would take out in order to put in a Palkia to make it beneficial.

RealMemeHours

Doubles God
How is this deck gonna play vs Mega Ray? I wanna play this deck too!
Personally, I think higher HP decks shouldn't be too much of a problem, since Mega Blastoise already deals 120 per attack, plus 30 to 2 benched. It also heals pretty easily itself. Mega Ray could possibly (and I say possibly because I haven't actually accumulated all of the cards to test this deck) one of Mega Blastoise's better matchups.
I believe that Mega Blastoise would probably only lose to decks that cause major amounts of disruption (examples being item locks, Glaceon-EX, Giratina-EX, hammers, etc). It seems like a great idea for a deck at first glance, but who knows maybe is sucks really badly.

Sword.N

Aspiring Trainer
Personally, I think higher HP decks shouldn't be too much of a problem, since Mega Blastoise already deals 120 per attack, plus 30 to 2 benched. It also heals pretty easily itself. Mega Ray could possibly (and I say possibly because I haven't actually accumulated all of the cards to test this deck) one of Mega Blastoise's better matchups.
I believe that Mega Blastoise would probably only lose to decks that cause major amounts of disruption (examples being item locks, Glaceon-EX, Giratina-EX, hammers, etc). It seems like a great idea for a deck at first glance, but who knows maybe is sucks really badly.
Rayquaza can be a hard machup for Blastoise because they can simply OHKO M Blastoise .Maybe running Parallel City with Garbodor can make the machup easier .

RealMemeHours

Doubles God
Rayquaza can be a hard machup for Blastoise because they can simply OHKO M Blastoise .Maybe running Parallel City with Garbodor can make the machup easier .
I'd only run 1 City tho, as Rough Seas is (imo) the better stadium.
Also, Stadium hurts you as you do 20 less damage. This means that you do 100 damage to the active and 10 to each benched. It's not too great in the long run.

RealMemeHours

Doubles God
I'd only run 1 City tho, as Rough Seas is (imo) the better stadium.
Now that I think about it, City would be an absolutely horrible choice. I mean, if you could play it and IMMEDIATELY switch back to Rough Seas, it wouldn't be all that bad.
But City would be REALLY bad in the Rayquaza matchup just because your 2HKOs turn into 3HKOs.

Lorde

♕ The Queen ♕
This is a good deck, but there are a few things that could just completely shut this down, like Volcanion or Rayquaza if you're not careful. I'd back up an Articuno in a deck like this, so you can at the very least get rid of the easy pickings and get a decent amount of prize cards from that. It's not a solution, but it's a decent addition to this deck. If you want to stand a chance against Rayquaza, I'll reinforce the idea of Palkia. One of your best hopes at taking it down would be to pump out energy fast enough in order to get Blastoise full charged and ready to go, it'll just save a bit of time. Palkia does just that, and will allow you to set up Blastoise so it can begin to wreck havoc.

Another suggestion, I don't think you need all of those Professor Sycamores, and a single Pokemon Center Lady is leaving it on a slim chance, especially since it's always useful to have those at the start of the game, as well as you near the finish. I'd recommend giving up 2 of those Professor Sycamore in favor of an additional Pokemon Center Lady, as well as a Professor's Letter, just in case Palkia doesn't turn up.

RealMemeHours

Doubles God
Another suggestion, I don't think you need all of those Professor Sycamores, and a single Pokemon Center Lady is leaving it on a slim chance, especially since it's always useful to have those at the start of the game, as well as you near the finish. I'd recommend giving up 2 of those Professor Sycamore in favor of an additional Pokemon Center Lady, as well as a Professor's Letter, just in case Palkia doesn't turn up.
2 Sycamore? What the heck?
I mean, when you explain it, it doesn't sound that bad. On the other hand, every deck normally 4 Sycamore so the term '2 Sycamore' seems pretty foreign to me.

Lorde

♕ The Queen ♕
2 Sycamore? What the heck?
I mean, when you explain it, it doesn't sound that bad. On the other hand, every deck normally 4 Sycamore so the term '2 Sycamore' seems pretty foreign to me.
Or 3. But what I'm inferring is that you don't have enough Pokemon Center Ladies, so maybe you don't need the Professor's Letter. Personally, I would include that to be sure in case Palkia EX doesn't turn up, but play as you will. I only include it in certain combinations, and this one isn't the neediest for it.

Nyora

A Cat
Literally, I play Mega Venusaur and I was thinking If i just make the MegaSaurs MageBlasts and Venus blasts it would still be viable. Use para city!

RealMemeHours

Doubles God
Or 3. But what I'm inferring is that you don't have enough Pokemon Center Ladies, so maybe you don't need the Professor's Letter. Personally, I would include that to be sure in case Palkia EX doesn't turn up, but play as you will. I only include it in certain combinations, and this one isn't the neediest for it.
Sounds good, I'll look into it.