• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Expanded Mega Alakazam Bats Expanded Advice

Bucky_Bruce

Aspiring Trainer
Hey I am currently working on a deck for my little sister for an expanded tournament this weekend. Her favorite deck before Sun and Moon was playing Mega Alakazam and Bats. I know garbodor trashalanche and trevenant is a thing, but I feel like she has a good chance with this deck. Now I don't have any Computer Searches, Dowsing Machine, or Scoop Up Cyclone or one of them would of be put in. I heard that some believe in skyfield instead of dimension valley, but I feel having the chance to deal major damage with 1 energy is more relevant than making sure your bench is full to get more spread damage. I even thought about Devolution Spray or maybe going with Hypnotoxic Lazer + Virbank, but I feel like that would be too much going on.

Pokemon: (19)
(4) Alakazam Ex
(3) Mega Alakazam Ex
(3) Zubat (free retreat ability)
(3) Golbat
(2) Crobat
(1) Hoopa Ex
(2) Shaymin Ex
(1) Tapu Lele Gx

Trainers: (33)
(3) Professor Sycamore
(2) N
(1) AZ
(1) Xerosic
(1) Skyla
(1) Karen
(1) Colress
(1) Lysandre
(4) VS Seeker
(4) Ultra Ball
(4) Super Scoop Up
(3) Alakazam Spirit Link
(1) Field Blower
(1) Super Rod
(2) Trainers' Mail
(3) Dimension Valley

Energy: (8)
(3) Mystery Energy
(5) Psychic Energy

IMO Tapu Koko (non-GX) is much better than 'Bats because it's a Basic, has been than average HP (more than Golbat) , has free retreat and inflicts 20 damage (for CC energy cost) onto ALL opponent's Pokémon. Consider replacing your entire 'Bat line with 4 Tapu Koko. You'll also not need your Super Scoop Ups either in this case - 4 more slots to fill with perhaps more card-draw support, Teammates, etc..

IMO Tapu Koko (non-GX) is much better than 'Bats because it's a Basic, has been than average HP (more than Golbat) , has free retreat and inflicts 20 damage (for CC energy cost) onto ALL opponent's Pokémon. Consider replacing your entire 'Bat line with 4 Tapu Koko. You'll also not need your Super Scoop Ups either in this case - 4 more slots to fill with perhaps more card-draw support, Teammates, etc..

Wouldn't Tapu Koko make that deck a little bit slower because for you to get damage spread you need to attack vs just evolving? Of course I see Koko making Dimension Valley a clear choice over sky field just because I don't have to worry about having a full bench for full value. I will be needing to run DCE as well so if that is the case it can open Espeon GX

Wouldn't Tapu Koko make that deck a little bit slower because for you to get damage spread you need to attack vs just evolving?
IMO, it's not slower at all. For example, with 'Bats, you MUST wait 2 turns to get the Golbat(s) into play and then only 1 Golbat can target a single opponent's Pokemon; whereas, Tapu Koko can start immediately on your T1 (assuming you go second at the start of the game and you can attach a basic P energy with Dimension Valley in play or a DCE with no Dimension Valley). Further, you're getting more damage counters into play potentially too. These damage counters can also be used by other techs too. Tapu Koko applies immediate and more pressure earlier. Lastly, 'Bats can be countered by Garbotoxin which is quite popular right now. Only Mr. Mime (Bench Barrier), I believe, can stop Tapu Koko's damage spread and Mr. Mime is not that popular of a tech as far as I know.

Last edited:
Back