Discussion Medicham Viablity?

GengarGuys

"Pickle Enthusiast"
Medicham PCL could see some more play when you take into account all of the Fighting support we have. Here is the math and why the deck will become good.

Yoga Kick + 30
2x Regirock + 20
Fighting Stadium + 20 (to EX Pokemon)
1x Strong Energy + 20

---All Math Multiplied 2x due to Omega Double---

90x2=180.

Now this doesn't seem amazing but imagine this deck with focus sash. Just some brainstorming.

The catch is that it is a Stage 1 that needs [FF] in order to do this. Compare and contrast this with, for example, backing up Zygarde-EX with a similar level of support. You won't hit as hard, but you'll be able to attack for a single Energy and have a good chance of surviving an attack even without Focus Sash.

Yes you can KO with enough support, but how are you going to keep from running out of resources when your opponent is not using EX's? Medicham can hit hard, but you need the energy acceleration, continuous draw support and its a Stage 1 slowing down setting up the next attacker. If you run 2 Shaymin, your bench is possibly 2 Shaymin, 2 Regirock and 1 Meditite. With the dearth of EX decks, running anything more than 1 Fighting Stadium probably isn't useful.

Now if you're on the PTCGO, this is a great option for the Fighting challenges (Damage, Evo, or KO). Also my concerns are just that: concerns. If someone figures out how to make this fast and reliable, yes it will be potent. XD

The deck actually runs reasonably quick with Carbink. And because a lot of the top tier decks are only dealing at the 16o and 180 mark it hits hard enough to make the trainer pause a bit. It's mostly because Korina and Brigette. It's a lot like Grenija, if you can spam enough of those babies on first round you put trainers in awkward positions. When it comes to fighting, right now there are just really good ways to get out babies -- Korina, Brigette, and even ultra ball make for a strong first turn.

@poke4trade

The term "babies" has a specific meaning in the Pokémon TCG. Actually, two or three specific sub categories of Basics (one officially referenced in other cards, the others not). I haven't had a chance to test it with Carbink BREAK yet, but if it works, cool.

The catch is that it is a Stage 1 that needs [FF] in order to do this. Compare and contrast this with, for example, backing up Zygarde-EX with a similar level of support. You won't hit as hard, but you'll be able to attack for a single Energy and have a good chance of surviving an attack even without Focus Sash.

There is a way around that, Shrine of Memories from Primal Clash. It let's you use the basic's attack (20 for F).

There is a way around that, Shrine of Memories from Primal Clash. It let's you use the basic's attack (20 for F).

I didn't mention that because @GengarGuys opening post focuses on a specific combo, not allowing it.

Medicham PCL could see some more play when you take into account all of the Fighting support we have. Here is the math and why the deck will become good.

Yoga Kick + 30
2x Regirock + 20
Fighting Stadium + 20 (to EX Pokemon)
1x Strong Energy + 20

---All Math Multiplied 2x due to Omega Double---

90x2=180.

Now this doesn't seem amazing but imagine this deck with focus sash. Just some brainstorming.

My own Medicham deck (that lacks Regirock-EX because I don't have them yet) I think runs both so that I can diversify my options:s Celebi-EX is a terrible opener so you want to run as few as possible, but if I need Fighting Stadium or Abilities have been shut off, I can still access "Smack". I've been testing Iris (as it is Expanded) as well as Giovanni's Scheme since of course their damage bonuses are doubled, but the results are mixed.

I've been running 2/2 Medicham 4/2 Carbink Break 1 Zygarde EX 1 Regirock. I use two sacred ash to recycle pokemon into the deck. Medichams main flaw is against the Trev deck. With the Trev. deck, you better off running Zygarde EX because the second attack heals 30. However, against night march, the deck runs really well. It's mainly the Trev. deck that is an auto loss.

Someone I know is using it, and tells me it is pretty nasty against night march, as it attacks twice. Because of that, it can remove 2 night marchers, and keep up the prize trade. IIRC, he told me that he managed to get the medicham up to doing ~130 per hit on an EX, and that would be disastrous, as it could knock out 2 shaymin EXs in one turn. So at 130 a hit, and removes resistance, it is devastating. That's a KO on all Mega EXs and EXs too. 1 strong energy+fighting stadium+muscle band... that's 60 extra damage, and an OHKO on standard EXs, bar wailord and zygarde. And it bypasses jolteon too. Its fairly solid, and with a current hate on special energy, can fight without it if needed.

One very important point to note here is that you cannot use any other cards after declaring that first attack. This means that your opponent has absolute control over what you attack second if you KO something on the first hit. All of these plays about "KO'ing two Night Marchers", or "Double Shaymin kill!" are unlikely to actually occur unless the situation is extremely dire.

The only bad part I see about this attack, other than the obviously low initial damage, is that it can't apply Weakness. That puts a dampener on it against the like of Darkrai and Manectric. Not applying Resistance is pretty huge though, since you can get this to over 110 damage with Regirock somewhat easily... making Shaymin a pretty big target for it. Not convinced that the setup and maintenance is worth it compared to simpler Fighting-types, but I might give it a try. It could be pretty cool.

I've been playing this deck recently. I don't really like the way it feels. Granted I don't like fighting decks.

But with carbink. I can consistently slap 2 strong energy on medicham and end up hitting for 100 per swing.

Medicham should be run with machamp. Regirock is too much bench space and prizes for not enough damage boosted. Medicham was good before shaymin existed. Now everything outspeeds and includes startling mega phone to deal with tools.

Medicham should be run with machamp. Regirock is too much bench space and prizes for not enough damage boosted. Medicham was good before shaymin existed. Now everything outspeeds and includes startling mega phone to deal with tools.

1) Machamp (FFI) boosts damage by 20 per instead of 10 per like Regirock-EX, but also requires more effort to put into play, which means less space for other damage boosting tricks. The big concern is Regirock-EX being worth two Prizes, but its larger than Shaymin-EX (ROS) and you basically need Shaymin-EX in the deck as well, so not a huge drawback.

2) Medicham saw some competitive play before Shaymin-EX speed things up even more, but it was never was I would really call "good". Maybe it is just me, but "functional" or "adequate" seem like more accurate assessments.

Back