May's English Set: 'Roaring Skies', First Info Revealed! [2/10]

Can't wait. We are getting a 2nd Thundurus EX, lol. I hope many of these cards are going to be playable.

More playable cards = better meta game, IMO.

That's true, I suppose Rayquaza might merit 'special' treatment. I alerady expect this kind of thing when they decide to release both mega Mewtwos. Not sure I agree with this but that is Nintendo logic.

Still it's true, we only have a little over a month (and two days to be precise) before this set is releaed in Japan and I'm willing to bet we'll start getting spoilers in the next couple of weeks to follow those Rayquaza cards.

You know, as long Thundurus EX is not a therian forme, as far as I'm concerned it's completley different from the one we already have.

Pikachu6319 said:
That's true, I suppose Rayquaza might merit 'special' treatment. I alerady expect this kind of thing when they decide to release both mega Mewtwos. Not sure I agree with this but that is Nintendo logic.

Still it's true, we only have a little over a month (and two days to be precise) before this set is releaed in Japan and I'm willing to bet we'll start getting spoilers in the next couple of weeks to follow those Rayquaza cards.

You know, as long Thundurus EX is not a therian forme, as far as I'm concerned it's completley different from the one we already have.

Since the set IS dragon and sky themed, I honestly don't doubt both versions will be in this. It'd be kind of silly to have a Dragon themed set and only include Thundurus' original form and not it's Dragon-themed form.

I think the EXs will go like this:

Rayquaza EX (Colorless)
MRayquaza EX (Colorless)
Rayquaza EX (Japanese Deck and maybe Dragon type)
MRayquaza EX (Japanese Deck and maybe Dragon type)
Latios EX (maybe Psyquic type)
MLatios EX (Dragon type)
Thundurus EX (maybe Therian because "Roaring Skies" is focused on Dragon Pokémon and his Therian Forme seems a dragon)
Blaziken EX (japanese promo like Hawlucha EX in Furious Fists)
Hydreigon EX (Dragon type)

In this way we have 9 EX of 11, and 3 Megas of 4, so...If "Roaring Skies" is focused on Dragon type, i say that the two cards (EX and Mega EX) are:

Salamence EX
MSalamence EX

And Zinnia like Supporter of course, and 4 Deoxys Formes (but not EX).

Of course the alternate route here is they could make a Therian forme of Thundurus, but it may not be in EX form. This could be the first appearance of regular cards for Therian Tornadus and Thundurus (Landorus in his therian forme did have one but is actually a plasma Pokemon so I wouldn't mind a regular one).

It would be kind of wrong to make Latios a psychic type but then turn around and make M. Latios a dragon type. Yes they've done that with M. Charizard X but that was a special circumstance and also related more to the deck itself than the Japanese version of Flashfire. Every other mega to date has been the same type as their basic EX. They didn't make a fighting Heracross and then make a grass M. Heracross, a steel Lucario and then make a fighting M. Lucario, a psychic Gardevoir and then make fairy M. Gardevoir, they didn't make a fighting Aggron and then make a Steel M. Aggron EX, they didn't make a fighting Groudon EX and then make a fire Primal Groudon EX. Each of these are in theory perfectly plausible but didn't happen, there is more reason to assume Latios and M, Latios are going to be the same type regardless of whether it is dragon or psychic. Also, just a thought here, as the first Latios EX was in a plasma set, that makes this one still in rotation. It might be all the more reason to make this one psychic anyway.

Roaring Skies can focus on dragon types without having two or three of them be mega Pokemon. The last mega Pokemon could just as easily be mega Banette or mega Abomasnow, Don't forget that a set 'focused' on specific types is subjective. Flashfire 'focused' on fire types, Furious Fists 'focused' on fighting types (though Heracross is a fighting type just not in tcg mega form), and Phantom Forces 'focused' on Ghost types, yet each set only gave us one similarly typed mega.

Pikachu6319 said:
It would be kind of wrong to make Latios a psychic type but then turn around and make M. Latios a dragon type. Yes they've done that with M. Charizard X but that was a special circumstance and also related more to the deck itself than the Japanese version of Flashfire. Every other mega to date has been the same type as their basic EX. They didn't make a fighting Heracross and then make a grass M. Heracross, a steel Lucario and then make a fighting M. Lucario, a psychic Gardevoir and then make fairy M. Gardevoir, they didn't make a fighting Aggron and then make a Steel M. Aggron EX, they didn't make a fighting Groudon EX and then make a fire Primal Groudon EX. Each of these are in theory perfectly plausible but didn't happen, there is more reason to assume Latios and M, Latios are going to be the same type regardless of whether it is dragon or psychic. Also, just a thought here, as the first Latios EX was in a plasma set, that makes this one still in rotation. It might be all the more reason to make this one psychic anyway.

But it isn't the same I think. Latios Dragon Type uses Psychic Energy and Water Energy, so it wouldnt be weird, because if you charge 1 Psychic Energy on Latios (Psychic Type), you can use it with the Mega (Dragon Type), because at least one of his attacks will use that (For example first atack Colorless Energy and second Psyquic, Water and Colorless Energy).

In the other cases will be a little weird, for example if Lucario EX would have been Steel and the Mega Fighting, MLucario EX wouldnt have been 3 Fighting Energys to attack, because if you put a Steel Energy in Lucario EX, you are wasting it if you Mega evolve. In Latios Ex this cant happen. It makes more sense.

I dont know if you undestand me ^^'

By the way, i dont bother if both are finally Dragon or Psychic types, but i hope that if there is another MegaRayquaza in the set, it has to be Dragon Type.

I think I get what you're saying. Since M. Lucario EX only need fighting energy then a steel type is useless on it since it has no colorless energy requirement in its attack although it could be used to pay for retreating too. Right now though M. Lucario EX is the exception, not the rule as every other mega/primal EX to date can use at least one of any type of energy to power their attacks. Most, if not all, dragon types seem to require two different types of energy and often a colorless or two to use their attacks.

If we're talking the special Fist energy a simple solution would have been a pokemon power on M. Lucario EX that says "This Pokemon counts as a Fighting and Steel type Pokemon." and this would have also allowed it to use Shield energy. Attaching a Mystery (psychic) energy to a psychic Latios EX but then evolving to a dragon M. Latios EX would make you discard the Mystery energy because that Pokemon is no longer a psychic type, I assume this restriction will also apply with the Double Dragon energy.

The M. Rayquaza EX in the deck will be dragon, so ultimately we will wind up with a dragon type M. Rayquaza EX and a colorless (flying) type M. Rayquaza EX. In the long run I'm kind of okay with that, I wish some of the other mega pokemon could say the same thing.

The original reveal did say there was a dragon type Rayquaza-EX and M-Rayquaza-EX but now we have a reveal of two colourless types. It'd be a shame for one of them not to be included in Roaring Skies. But I don't see three Rayquaza-EX ending up in one set. Maybe there'll save it for a box like Flygon. Or if they did include it, Blaziken-EX would become a box special.

I could see Absol-EX and M-Absol-EX being a possibility since they did skip over them in terms of making a Premium Collection. Guess we'll have to wait until Emerald Break comes out to work out what we're getting and then guess what the extra cards, like promos and stuff, we get on top of it.

Actually I suspect that one of those colorless Rayquaza EX will end up in a box in the same vein that we got the Charizard EX box back during Flashfire. I likewise suspect Blaziken EX will be in the set just as Hawlucha EX made it into Flashfire from being a japanese promo.

We don't know that Absol EX and M. Absol EX have been skipped over in terms of premium collections as they haven't released one of these since M. Diancie EX premium collection. It is still a possibility though that we'll have Absol EX and M. Absol EX in Roaring Skies, depending of course as you said on what's in this set.

Pikachu6319 said:
We don't know that Absol EX and M. Absol EX have been skipped over in terms of premium collections as they haven't released one of these since M. Diancie EX premium collection. It is still a possibility though that we'll have Absol EX and M. Absol EX in Roaring Skies, depending of course as you said on what's in this set.

Apparently Absol EX & Mega Absol will be in their own Mega Box set. I'm happy they're finally being translated, although I wish they did it sooner. Also, a spirit link would have been nice too.

As for this set. I think the megas will be 2 M Rayquazas (One colorless and one Dragon,) M-Latias and M-Latios. The EX's that haven't been named yet could be anyone's guess, I only hope that Hydreigon EX is atleast halfway decent.

I'm pretty sure I won't be getting a new Jolteon anytime soon. The wife feels the same about Umbreon. I kinda wish they would finish printing the eevelution cards before the next format rotation, so maybe they will by the August(ish) set's release. (Keep in mind, the next rotation is only 7 months away.)

Yeah, I saw the M. Absol EX premium collection announcement, and truth be told I've been expecting this for a few months now, since about the release of the M. Diancie EX version. I too wish it had been done sooner. They could in theory still have a spirit link released but it's not likely. M. Absol will just have to join the ranks of M. Dianice, M. Metagross and the megas of XY, Flashfire and Furious Fists.

Don't forget that the Roaring Skies images showed M. Gallade. That means our four megas are M. Rayquaza EX (dragon), M. Rayquaza EX (colorless), M Latios EX (unknown type) and M. Gallade EX (unknown type). Then we have Thundurus EX, Hydregion EX, Latios EX, Rayquaza EX (colorless) Rayquaza EX (dragon, in truth we are still only guessing there is one but there is reason to expect it), Gallade EX (unknown type) and one other, most (including myself) are guessing the Blaziken EX mentioned in an earlier story for the Mega Rayquaza battle jumbo pack.

We still could get Eeveevolutions. Maybe August then. If nothing else there is still legal versions of Sylveon, Glaceon and Leafeon, not that that helps Jolteon or Umbreon. Of course we don't even know 95% of Roaring Skies yet so it could happen...and Jolteon might just fit in thematically into this set.

At least, this is the final list of the 11 EX of Roaring Skies:

Rayquaza EX (Colorless) (Revealed)
MRayquaza EX (Colorless) (Revealed)
Rayquaza EX (Dragon)
MRayquaza EX (Dragon)
Latios EX (Dragon)
MLatios EX (Dragon)
Gallade EX
MGallade EX
Thundurus EX
Hydreigon EX
Shaymin EX (Colorless) (Revealed)

I think that Blaziken EX, Swampert EX and a future Sceptile EX, will come in Tins for us.

Yeah, I mentioned that speculation about Blaziken EX, Swampert EX, and the almost guaranteed Sceptile EX being in tins last night too when I saw the Swampert. Probably will end up following in the vein of the Kalos evolution tins.

Let's not forget however that we have no proof Latios EX and M. Latios EX will be dragon types. I am just as likely to say it is a psychic type, especially with the unexpected introduction of a colorless Shaymin (Skymin:) ) EX. I hope we get these cards revealed soon so that way we can end all of the debate on Latios/M. Latios type.

I would imagine that Latia EX might be Psychic.
I'm actually really excited about the supporters revealed. I like a lot of the actual competitive cards that have been coming out.

Pikachu6319 said:
Yeah, I mentioned that speculation about Blaziken EX, Swampert EX, and the almost guaranteed Sceptile EX being in tins last night too when I saw the Swampert. Probably will end up following in the vein of the Kalos evolution tins.

Let's not forget however that we have no proof Latios EX and M. Latios EX will be dragon types. I am just as likely to say it is a psychic type, especially with the unexpected introduction of a colorless Shaymin (Skymin:) ) EX. I hope we get these cards revealed soon so that way we can end all of the debate on Latios/M. Latios type.

MegaLatios EX is Dragon type (and problably also Latios EX)
m-latios-ex.jpg

PoohBear-Ex said:
I would imagine that Latia EX might be Psychic.
I'm actually really excited about the supporters revealed. I like a lot of the actual competitive cards that have been coming out.

If "Roaring Skies" has only 11 EX, Latias EX wont be in it.

Pikachu6319 said:

M-Latios is a Dragon Type. It's in the news story.

Now things are getting interesting.

Shaymin EX looks like it could be the next Jirachi (searchable Pokemon that can act as a draw card the minute it hits the field). I'm thinking this might be better than Jirachi because you can still play another supporter after using the ability (kind of like Smeargle HGSS). And then you can return it to your hand with the attack.

I don't see Unfezant being playable due to the flippy nature of the attack, but I like this mechanic a lot. Maybe it could find it's way into a Miltank deck.

Swellow, WOW. A non EX Lugia that doesn't require plasma energy. The attacks are terrible, but it makes up for it by being so much easier to splash into decks. With some damage boosters and things that can hit the bench, this could be really really good.

Skarmory: Nice card, but I like Dedenne better as it has a better attack and can hit Yveltal for weakness. 60 for a DCE isn't bad on a non EX though (Tornadus EX had the same attack).

Winonna: Pokemon Fan Club and a half for decks using colorless pokemon. I like it, but I don't know if it's worth using all colorless for this.

Skyfield: Coolest. Stadium. Ever. I like the idea of pairing this with Empoleon, Raichu, or Shiftry. Though I wonder, if the stadium is countered and you're forced to discard Pokemon, does the opponent a Prize(s). Depending on that ruling, this could be a very risky card to play.

Swampert EX: Meh. Might have some synergy with ancient Swampert's Diving Search, but still... meh.

Mega Turbo: Not sure if this is necessary considering the increase of Megas being played, but this could make those forgotten ones like Blastoise and Lucario better.

Steven: Worse than Korrina and Skyla. You can only grab a basic energy. But who knows, it could be good.

Yeah, that M. Latios EX wasn't there when I saw it last. Technically it doesn't mean that Latios EX will be dragon type, but yeah I'd be willing to bet now that it will be. Seems like a waste to me as we already have a currently legal dragon type Latios EX, but oh well. One less card I have to worry about immediatley.

pokedan24 said:
Skyfield: Coolest. Stadium. Ever. I like the idea of pairing this with Empoleon, Raichu, or Shiftry. Though I wonder, if the stadium is countered and you're forced to discard Pokemon, does the opponent a Prize(s). Depending on that ruling, this could be a very risky card to play.
The fact that the card specifies that all cards attached to them are also discarded means that it's almost certainly not considered a knock-out, because a knock out inherently includes discarding attached cards. Instead it's more akin to discarding a fossil from play.

Back