Contest May 2021 CaC: Extreme Heights (Results Are Up!)

y0shin

If we meet in our dreams, where should we go?
Basic | Kartana | 70 HP | G
Drawn Sword Pokémon. Length: 1'00, Weight: 0.2 lbs.
Ability
Kirigami Manoeuvre
If you have more Prize cards remaining than your opponent, don't apply Resistance when this Pokémon attacks.
G G Revenge Sword 40+
This attack does 70 more damage for each Prize card your opponent took on their last turn.
Weakness Rx2 | Resistance | Retreat
"Although alien to our world, a Kartana was seen protecting Bellsprouts like they were its own"

The thought behind this card was to emulate Kartana's role in the OverUsed metagame as a revenge killer. I believe I was able to emulate that well enough using Prizes to represent it. Can hit for pretty big if your VMAX or Tag-Team was knocked out, which should even the playing field a bit.
"Kirigami" is the act of cutting paper in origami.

Falling Skies

The Traveler
Allow me to present my entry:

Mimikyu HP: 70 [P]
Basic
mimikyu.png

NO. 778 Disguise Pokémon HT: 8' WT: 1.5 lbs.
Ability: Jealous Heart
If any damage is done to this Pokémon by attacks during your opponent's turn, if your opponent played a Supporter card from their hand during their turn, prevent that damage.

[P][P] Lonely Claws 50
If you didn't play a Supporter card during your turn, your opponent reveals their hand. Choose 2 cards you find there and discard them.

Weakness: [D] x2
Resistance: [F] -30
Retreat: [C]

A gust of wind revealed what hides under this Pokémon's rag to a passing Trainer, who went home and died painfully that very night.

Ah, Mimikyu. I've always found it somewhat amusing that this Pokemon which is absolutely hated in-universe for being creepy and extremely deadly is likely the single most popular Pokemon of its generation out of universe. Life's funny like that. It's also about six inches shorter than a Pikachu, which makes it even cuter to me, and it pains me that the average quality of single-prize Mimikyu cards is pretty low.

anyways, this card. I'd always interpreted Mimikyu similar to how the anime did - it's lonely but gets very jealous of other people/pokemon getting the attention it wants. You can even sort of see this in its totem fight. That influenced both the attack names and the effects, which all revolve around the cards with people on them. I like to imagine Mimikyu just getting upset when it sees a trainer giving other Pokemon attention. As for the effects themselves, I think they're both situationally pretty strong. I wanted to try a different take on preventing damage that wasn't just type/evolution level/specific type of card hate, which is how I got here. Jealous Heart isn't a hard lock in the same way something like a Deafen is, but it would be pretty difficult to deal with if you can force them/they just happen to draw a hand that means they have to play a supporter. Obviously, the trade-off is that it's pretty easy to kill if your opponent doesn't have to play a supporter, which I think balances it. It's best in the early stages of the game or if you build the deck around disrupting your opponent's hand and field so they need to play a supporter for resources. And once Dedenne-GX rotates out, people might have to remember what those are again.

Lonely Claws probably isn't the greatest attack, but it works on the same principle and flavour as Jealous Heart. If you put yourself in the same position as your opponent, you get a bonus. Targeted hand disruption is nothing to sneeze at, even in a game like Pokemon where most draw effects draw a ton of cards. I initially had it being random, but targeting allows you to remove key cards and force your opponent into playing a supporter card, thus enabling the ability. Pair it with something like Hatterene RCL or Reset Stamp or something, and you're hopefully good to go. It costs PP as Mmikyu DAA has a PC attack which does less damage with no upside for... some reason. What's the harm in giving stuff below ultra rare useful attacks?

HP and bottom stats are the same as regular Mimikkyu. I debated going with the fairy weakness just to be different, but with just 70 HP it likely would not matter.

bbb888

Same user name as my Pokémon YouTube channel
Sorry but I'm dropping out of this because not everybody did Wailord someone already did the same Pokemon as me and I don't have the resources right now to do a different one.
Maybe next time :)

p.s. WakeRunCollapse #whaleparty for life!

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Sorry but I'm dropping out of this because not everybody did Wailord someone already did the same Pokemon as me and I don't have the resources right now to do a different one.
Maybe next time :)

p.s. WakeRunCollapse #whaleparty for life!
You can absolutely post a card of the same Pokemon as someone else! As long as the designs aren't the same...

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Good.
I was confused about the lenght stuff bc I'm European and I use the metric system.
No problem. Ten feet is approximately 3.08m, for future reference.

DashKing

Aspiring Trainer
In for text!

[
Shaymin
Type: [G] – HP 80
Basic
NO. 492 Gratitude Pokémon HT:0′08″ WT: 4.6 lbs

Ability: Rainbow Burst
When you play this Pokémon from your hand onto your Bench during your turn, you may look at the top 3 cards of your deck and attach any Basic Energy cards you find there to this Pokémon. Put the other cards into your hand. You can’t use more than 1 Rainbow Burst Ability each turn.

[G][R][W] Amazing Flare 10+
Move as many Energy cards attached to this Pokémon to your Benched Pokémon in any way you like. This attack does 30 more damage for each energy moved in this way.

Weakness: [R]x2
Resistance:

Dex Entry: The blooming of Gracidea flowers confers the power of flight upon it. Feelings of gratitude are the message it delivers.

References
HP/Retreat/Weakness/Resistance:
Amazing Rare Celebi

Ability:
Falinks BST (“This attack does 20 damage for each of your Rapid Strike Pokémon in play.”)
Zacian V (“Once during your turn, you may look at the top 3 cards of your deck and attach any number of Metal Energy cards you find there to this Pokémon. Put the other cards into your hand. If you use this Ability, your turn ends.”)
Galarian Zigzagoon SSH (“When you play this Pokémon from your hand onto your Bench during your turn”)
Kricketune V (“You can’t use more than 1 Exciting Stage Ability each turn.”)

Attack 1:
Shaymin HS (“you may move as many Energy cards attached to your Pokémon as you like to any of your other Pokémon.”)
Energy Switch SSH (“Move a basic Energy from 1 of your Pokémon to another of your Pokémon.”)
Tapu Koko V (BST) (“This attack does 40 more damage for each Energy attached to all of your opponent’s Pokémon.”)

]

Mick-773

Pizza Enthusiast
This is my first time entering CaC, so I hope not to make a mess posting this °°"

3b31d5221179afbdf9107d570210886e59d1e534.png

Stakataka UNB 106, Team Magma’s Groudon-EX DCR 15 ?
Sitrus Berry SSH 182 / Copperajah SSH 137)
Palossand RCL 82

For this card I used @CardPone 's Omnium Blanks, with a few customization meant to recall both the E-card era aesthetic (because of nostalgia, I guess) and more modern formats (because, huh... I kinda like the WRRt/Dex entry layout used currently?).

Both the type background and the actual illustration were made by yours truly. Drawing vegetables ended up being more relaxing than what I expected.

The Held Item mechanic is supposed to be a call back from the DP era; I tried to change it a bit by buffing up the Item effect but also adding the Tool clause in order to prevent excessively broken combos.

The fact that this card's viability is based on what is going on in your discard pile is supposed to reference Night March. Similarly, HP-boosting was previously featured in Phantom Forces Gourgeist.

Pone

Delta Species is best species
This is my first time entering CaC, so I hope not to make a mess posting this °°"

Stakataka UNB 106, Team Magma’s Groudon-EX DCR 15 ?
Sitrus Berry SSH 182 / Copperajah SSH 137)
Palossand RCL 82

For this card I used @CardPone 's Omnium Blanks, with a few customization meant to recall both the E-card era aesthetic (because of nostalgia, I guess) and more modern formats (because, huh... I kinda like the WRRt/Dex entry layout used currently?).

Both the type background and the actual illustration were made by yours truly. Drawing vegetables ended up being more relaxing than what I expected.

The Held Item mechanic is supposed to be a call back from the DP era; I tried to change it a bit by buffing up the Item effect but also adding the Tool clause in order to prevent excessively broken combos.

The fact that this card's viability is based on what is going on in your discard pile is supposed to reference Night March. Similarly, HP-boosting was previously featured in Phantom Forces Gourgeist.

Holy cannoli I am impressed by this dude! I can see the parts that came from Omnium but wowza this is basically a whole template on its own. Fantastic work! I'm proud to have played a part in inspiring this card's creation.

Charmaster:)

Collecting, playing, & making family memories.

This card is beautiful! How did you make this template? I would really like to try using it myself, if that’s okay with you!

Nemes

Aspiring Trainer
uc

uc

Ability: Shiftry VIV
Attack: Koffing CEC, Bunnelby PRC
& Rule: Flareon AOR

New terms:
- "gains the attacks, Abilities": opposed to "can use" which doesn't give proper ownership rights to those powers :) Went with "gain" since you can already "lose" Abilities (Genesect GX)
- "attributes": an umbrella term for Pokémon subtypes such as Delta Species, SP, Battle Styles etc.

FireLizard

A man who knows nothing about proportions.
The entry was supposed to be Eternatus but I've got a better idea with Cutiefly.
Also,I didn't got many ideas with Eternatus.

Cutiefly [P] HP 30

[Ability]Big Cheer
Once during your turn,before you attack,you may search your deck for a Basic Energy card and attach it to 1 of your Pokémon.
If you go second and it's your first turn, instead search for up to 3 Basic
Energy cards and attach them to your Pokémon in any way you like. Then, shuffle your deck.
You can’t use more than 1 Big Cheer Ability each turn.

[C]Pollen Escamotage 10
Your opponent's Active Pokémon is now Asleep and Poisoned.
Shuffle this Pokémon and all cards attached to it into your deck.

Weakness: [M]X2
Resistance:None
Retreat Cost:[C]
"Nectar and pollen are its favorite fare. You can find Cutiefly hovering around Gossifleur, trying to get some of Gossifleur’s pollen."
Big Cheer
Volcanion UNB
Crobat V DAB

Pollen Escamotage
Accelgor DEX

As I said,Eternatus was one of my one options for this contest,but I didn't got many ideas,also because I already posted it in last December's(?) contest.
Then I tought of Cutiefly and I got an idea:basically a Volcanion\Zarude\Cresselia but with an ability instead
Cutiefly can be very good for accelerating in the first turn,and since it doesn't say a specific type of Energy cards,it can be used with every deck.
Due to its low HP,it can be sniped easily.That's why Pollen Escamotage exists.
It's basically Accelgor's Deck and Cover but puts your opponent's Asleep instead of Paralyzed,so Cutiefly can easily get out of play to avoid to be
KO'ed and so it can be reused.
We really need more Single Prizers supporters.
I hope you like it!

Mick-773

Pizza Enthusiast
This card is beautiful! How did you make this template? I would really like to try using it myself, if that’s okay with you!

Thank you! The template was completely done in Photoshop, with most of the elements either being drawn by using existing cards as reference, taken from the Omnium template, or straight-up eyeballed and tweaked until they look somewhat believable.

As of now, there are still a lot of things that needs to be tweaked/refined/designed from scratch - from essential elements, such as the evolution box (which is currently just a plain square, so there's a lot to be done in this regard), to more specific assets, especially regarding "irregular" Pokémon (V/EX/GX/whatever you call those multi-prize Pokémon these days °°).

Probably most of these stuff will be designed as I go on creating new cards, so it could take some time - specifically because drawing the actual illustration can take quite a few days (all of this assuming I have actual free time after work/irl stuff).

Once the template will be complete enough to be shareable I would be happy to provide blanks for others to use. However, since this was made possible only by using @CardPone's assets, I think it should be better to ask for his permission first (and of course, all the rules regarding the Omnium template would apply to these blanks too).

ShaQuL

@KabutoKingTCG
Regigigas - HP180 – Colorless
Basic Pokémon

NO. 486 Colossal Pokémon HT: 12’02” WT: 925.9 lbs.

Ability: Titanomachy
If Regice is on your Bench, this Pokémon’s attacks do 30 more damage to your opponent's Active Pokémon (before applying Weakness and Resistance). If Regirock is on your Bench, this Pokémon takes 30 less damage from attacks (after applying Weakness and Resistance). If Regieleki is on your Bench, this Pokémon has no Retreat Cost. If Registeel is on your Bench, this Pokémon gets +60HP. If Regidrago is on your Bench, this Pokémon has no Weakness.

[W][F][M][L][C] Amazing Wrath 280
Discard 3 Pokémon with "Regi" in their name from your Bench. If you don’t, this attack does nothing. This Pokémon is now Confused and during your next turn, can’t attack.

Weakness: Fighting x2
Resistance:
Retreat: [C][C][C][C]

It is said to have made Pokémon that look like itself from a special ice mountain, rocks, and magma.

Ability: Hitmonchan SSH095, Emboar BST025, Tynamo VIV057, Arcanine RCL028, Vikavolt UNB59, Chandelure RCL03.

Attack: Falinks V RCL110, Barraskewda RCL053, Krookodile VIV109.

So, at first, I wanted to do a card based on Golurk, the idea of spirits trapped in it trying to get out, and somehow make it interact with Spiritomb (since that has 108 spirits trapped inside too). But as I mentioned earlier, Golurk was not tall enough.

Instead, I went with one of my favourite groups of legendaries, Regis. At first, I started making a Regigigas V card, but quickly realised it would be too wordy to do what I wanted it to, so I scrapped that. I went with an Amazing Pokémon idea instead.

This is where the fun began; I wanted Regigigas to be a powerful titan, combined with the other 3 Regis. That’s right, 3 Regis. Then I remembered the dumb, disgraceful additions to the Regi family from Crown Tundra. Again, the wording is going to be repetitive and well, wordy, due to the amount of Regis I now had to include due to my completionist brain. I tried my best to check the wording to make it up to scratch with SwSh wording, but I’m sure there will be a mistake or few… My main concern being the name clause from the attack, due to the fact that as far as I’m aware, there has not been a card before which refers to a part of a word in a Pokémon’s name; all of them refer to the whole word, for example Falinks, and sometimes they don’t even include the quotation marks (Alolan Marowak TEU64). So, we’ll see what you think.

As with most of my previous CaC entries, I like to bring in real world stuff and/or game mechanics into the TCG in one way or another. My Regigigas V card was going to try to use Slow Start, however the card I ended up doing actually focusses on the “real world” aspect. I love Greek mythology, and I think Titans were pretty cool. Titanomachy actually refers to a war, where Zeus teamed up with other Olympians and creatures wronged by the Titans, against the Titans, who were eliminated or imprisoned. Regigigas in this case, teams up with the rest of the Titans, in order to be stronger. However, the cost of war is so severe, that you must discard some of the Titans during each attack.

It actually pained me slightly to have to word the ability as it is; not only is it repetitive, I also had to do the order of the Regis by type rather than Dex number (following advice from a previous CaC). As previously mentioned, I forgot about Regieleki and Regidrago until after I included the original 3. I vaguely followed type archetypes to decide which Regi did what; While Regirock was usually associated with increase in attack, I think Rock types are more suitable for Defence. Registeel could have also been Defence, as it is a Metal type, but I decided to go with HP as that is kind of a defensive skill too (and recently, Rusted Shield increased HP for a Metal Pokémon instead of reducing damage, as the previous tools in recent years). Regice in turn provided extra damage, as I thought at the time that it had a high Sp. Att. stat in the games… however, when I looked it up, it turned out that it actually has high Sp. Def. Ah well. What’s done is done. Regieleki did the whole retreat thing, as Lightning mons tend to mess around with that (for example Zeraora-GX or Jolteon). Finally, Regidrago removes weakness, as Dragon types in the games have a very small number of weaknesses (especially prior to Fairies).

I kind of already touched on the attack, and why it does what it does, but I thought I’d talk about the attack cost. So far, all Amazing Pokémon used a maximum of 3 types in the attack costs, excluding colourless. While that is fair enough, it just made sense to me, for this card to use 4 types (in addition to colourless), as they all represent a Regi (including Regidrago with colourless being the potential type for Dragons in TCG as of SwSh). I tried to balance the attack with the usual tricks, can’t attack, discard mons and even Confusion (the idea of Amazing Wrath makes me think of something like Outrage from the video games). Looking at other Amazing Pokémon, Yveltal full on Knocks Out a Pokemon for 5 energy (2 colourless) and Reshiram does 270 for just 3 Energy (and of course Zacian has potential to do 300 to a VMAX). Therefore, I decided 280 is just right, due to the cost and drawbacks, plus potential to do extra damage with Regice and Powerful Energy.

So, at the end of the day, this Regigigas has the potential of doing 310+ damage, habing 240 HP and taking less damage… however, in a typical TPCi fashion, the Energy cost is so outlandish, that it would most likely see no play. Therefore, I am ready for the punishment in the playability score, however, I do believe that the believability should make up for it. Maybe, perhaps, the Regis on the Bench could somehow aid in Energy attachment? You never know. Anyways, sorry for the ramble, and thanks in advance! :)

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
In for text.

Igglybuff GX // HP140
Fairy - Basic Pokémon

[Ability] Get Inspired!
Whenever a Supporter card you played would go to the discard pile, you may attach it to this Pokémon instead.

[Y][C] Singing Practice - 50
You may discard a Supporter card attached to this Pokémon. If you do, use the effect of that card as the effect of this attack.

[Y][C][C] Debut GX - 30x
You may discard any amount of cards attached to this Pokémon. This attack does 30 damage for each card you discarded in this way. Your opponent’s Active Pokémon is now Asleep. (You can't use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

Pokémon-GX rule: When your Pokémon-GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Metal (x2)
Resistance: None.

When I read the rules of this CaC, I immediately knew I wanted to make an Igglybuff card. My first design was quite a bit different, but a completely separate train of thought made me realize how flexible the “attach” mechanic actually is. You can actually attach whatever you want to a Pokemon, if the card allows for it. This led me to creating a Pokemon that doesn’t just attach an unexpected type of card to itself, but can then discard any attached card.
For the “storyline”, I’ve chosen an Igglybuff that learns to sing, based on its Sun & Moon entry. The only thing left was to include some form of Sleep, but that neatly fit the end of its “Debut GX”, when it finally manages to attain FULL POWER.
The GX cards do not feature any Pokedex entries, so I'll paste it here: It likes to sing but is not yet good at it. With praise and encouragement, it will get better little by little.