• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Maxie's Hidden Mill Trick (Diggersby / Rhyperior)

Max Carter

Aspiring Trainer
I'm a Gen 1 TCG player that hasn't played since. I've just started with Maxie's Medicham because it's my style and I'm working on a budget. This deck is for a change of pace occasionally. Not sure if Conkeldurr is necessary, but I'm afraid that Seismitoad EX will easily limit the number of opportunities to mill.

Pokémon: 10
  • 4 Bunnelby (Omega) PC
  • 4 Diggersby PC
  • 2 Rhyperior (Omega) PC
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 42
  • 2 Winona
  • 4 Korrina
  • 2 Maxie's Hidden Ball Trick
  • 2 Pokemon Center Lady
  • 2 Steven
  • 4 Focus Sash
  • 4 Trick Coin
  • 2 Eco Arm
  • 2 Tool Retriever
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 2 Sacred Ash
  • 2 Professor's Letter
  • 2 Energy Retrieval
  • 4 Escape Rope
  • 4 Pokemon Center
Energy: 8
  • 8 Fighting Energy
Strategy:

Your whole goal is to mill the opponent. For that reason the focus of the deck is to just get all of the Diggersby onto the field. Use a Winona to get all of your Bunnelby onto the field. Then use Korrina to grab Diggersby and an item.

For items, prioritize Focus Sash. To make sure that your Diggersby is at full health and the effect of Focus Sash works, use Pokemon Center Lady or Escape Rope to bench Diggersby and have Pokemon Center heal it little by little. If you can't heal Diggersby use Tool Retriever to get it back and feel free to attach Trick Coin for a more successful mill. When there are three Pokemon Tools in your discard that you want, use Eco Arm to get them all back and keeping playing Focus Sash.

To be able to have Diggersby as your active Pokemon for all 6 potential prize cards that your opponent can draw, use Sacred Ash to put them back in your deck. If there is a specific Pokemon that your opponent is running that needs to be taken care of, utilize Maxie's Hidden Ball Trick to get a Conkeldurr on your bench. He does a substantial amount of damage and still makes your opponent discard a card. Since Diggersby energy cost is only F, 2FF that Conkeldurr requires is not overwhelming to prepare while milling with Diggersby.

Final note, having only 4 Basic Pokemon allows you to mill your opponent before the match even starts if they choose to draw an extra card for every time that you have to re-draw your hand.

EDIT:
My original idea to incorporate Conkeldurr couldn't work because he is from Black and White, so I was considering Rhyperior (Omega). Even though he mills a card, his kill and stall potential is underwhelming. So I decided that this deck should focus on switching out Maxie's Hidden Ball Trick so that it can heal better.

-2 Rhyperior (O) PC
-2 Maxie's Hidden Ball Trick
-2 Steven
-1 Trick Coin
-4 Ultra Ball

+2 Tailow RS
+2 Swellow XY Base Set
+1 Winona
+2 Teammates
+1 Sacred Ash
+3 Repeat Ball
Swellow's ability Drive Off can force your opponent to switch his or Active Pokemon once per turn before you "attack". Swellow is also nice because Winona can easily bring it out. Since your Pokemon being knocked out is inevitable, Teammates is quite viable. Since you no longer need to discard for Maxie, Repeat Ball is much more efficient than Ultra Ball. Even though you won't be discarding as much, being able to discarding as much, Sacred Ash and Eco Arm are important for grabbing Focus Sash and putting your Bunnelby/Diggersby back into the deck.

Last edited:
As far as I know, Pokémon Center is out of the format.

Primal Clash Omega Conkeldurr ? What is this ? The only XY-on Conkeldurr is from XY.

Edit : I assume you're talking about Medicham ? That's the only F Pokémon with Omega Barrage. But it doesn't mill anything. Rhyperior mills but attacks for FFCC. I'm curious to see what you're actually talking about.

Last edited:
As far as I know, Pokémon Center is out of the format.

Primal Clash Omega Conkeldurr ? What is this ? The only XY-on Conkeldurr is from XY.

Edit : I assume you're talking about Medicham ? That's the only F Pokémon with Omega Barrage. But it doesn't mill anything. Rhyperior mills but attacks for FFCC. I'm curious to see what you're actually talking about.

It was a typo because I originally wanted to run Conkeldurr NV, but that is from Black & White and I want this to be a standard deck. So I thought Rhyperior (Omega) PC would be the next best bet. In regards to your edit, Medicham would be viable, but I am already running a Medicham deck and the point of this deck is to have something different to play.

Check out the edit section of my first post to see the changes I made to the deck.
TL;DR - Got rid of Rhyperior (O) and Maxie and switched it out with with Swellow XY

Ok, I understand.

Now, for Swellow, its Ability lets the opponent choose which benched Pokémon he brings to the active spot. If he plays a costless retreat one or a Float Stone, which is very common, Swellow becomes pretty useless. Better play Lysandre or even Pokémon Catcher, it would be more effective and much less clunky.

Also I wouldn't take out all Ultra Balls for Repeat Balls. You can't use Winona and Korrina in the same turn, so if you get no Diggersby, your Repeat Balls become useless. By the way, 4 Korrina seems too much since you have only 4 Fighting Pokémon to get out. And Steven is one of the crappiest Supporters in the format, it's slowness at its fullest.

The best part about Swellow is that it is Normal (Fighting would work too) and works from the bench. Float Stone was my main concern for Swellow since the opponent chooses which Pokémon they switch. Even if they don't have Float Stone, a low retreat cost is a small price to pay, but that could force them to discard an energy and miss out on attaching an energy to the Pokémon they want to. Can you think of a better Pokémon to replace Swellow, or should I get rid of them and add more Trainer cards?

Good point in having a lot of Korrina. I'll definitely take one out, but the ability to also get an item makes me want to leave it at 3. So I'll probably switch that out for a Lyssandre. And Steven is pretty garbage, I was just super concerned about trying to get Winona/Korrina. In the edited portion of my first post I already switched the Steven for Teammates.

I would think that just playing Bunnelby would be more effective for milling the opponent's deck, since it's not based on coin flips. Though if you find Diggersby more fun, then just go for it I guess. :p

Maybe add some energy disruption? Most mill decks include a bunch of trainers like Crushing Hammer/Enhanced Hammer to slow down the opponent by stopping them from attacking and buy more time for milling.

I would think that just playing Bunnelby would be more effective for milling the opponent's deck, since it's not based on coin flips. Though if you find Diggersby more fun, then just go for it I guess. :p

Maybe add some energy disruption? Most mill decks include a bunch of trainers like Crushing Hammer/Enhanced Hammer to slow down the opponent by stopping them from attacking and buy more time for milling.

Originally I really wanted this to be a fighting deck, but after seeing a lot of people's posts I've started to consider making it a normal deck. I loved the idea of coin flips to possibly mill multiple cards, but Bunnelby is a guaranteed two cards per turn. I think that taking out Diggersby and adding energy disruption would be a good idea. Thanks.

Back