• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Maxie's Garchomp

MIghtyGengar

Aspiring Trainer
Pokémon
  • 3 Garchomp BKP
  • 4 Unown AOR
  • 2 Hawlucha FFI
  • 1 Lucario EX FFI
  • 1 Miltank FLF
  • 2 Shaymin EX ROS
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums:
  • 2 Professor Sycamore
  • 3 Maxie's Hidden Ball Trick
  • 2 Judge
  • 1 Giovanni's Scheme
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Battle Compressor
  • 4 Trainers Mail
  • 3 Reserved Ticket
  • 2 Muscle Band
  • 2 Acro Bike
  • 1 Super Rod
  • 2 Focus Sash
  • 1 Escape Rope
  • 1 Town Map
  • 2 Fighting Stadium
Energy
  • 4 Strong Energy
  • 4 Fighting Energy
Strategy:

The idea is to set up a Garchomp ASAP (preferable the first turn). The way that I have tried to do this is by having as many cards in the deck that I can just "throw away" as possible for example trainers mail, acro bike, town map ect. You may also see I run reserved ticket in this list which is not ran in many decks. the reason I have ran this list is the fact that it can just be used and put into the discard without needing a certain conation (this is hat I meant before by "throwing cards away"). This card also has synergy with the unown. This is because if you were to hit a heads on the reserved ticket and then use unowns ability farewell letter you can theoretically search your deck for any card. Another reason I use unown is that is can easily be placed onto the bench therefore giving you less cards in your hand and helping you to get that Maxie. The last think is that I only run 2 Professor Sycamore were as most decks run 4. The reason I have done this is I want less supporters in my deck that that I will have less supporters in my hand helping to get the first turn Maxies and Garchomp. Also I do not want to be drawing into a big hand in this deck as I want to have less cards in my hand so I can hit the Maxie. Please tell me some suggestions to make this deck better or whether it might struggle against certain matchups. Also I Am thinking of running this for UK Nationals.

Last edited by a moderator:
In experimenting with a similar build, I found that the time it takes "on average" to get multiple Garchomps in play is too long for me. Secondly, I did not find any real advantage in using the Maxie's HBT route to get these particular Pokémon into play vs.... Machamp whose Ability will boost Fighting Pokémon attack damage by an additional 20 damage. My core deck list consists of:

2 Gabite
3 Garchomp
4 Gibble
2 Hawlucha (FFI)
2 Lucario EX
2 Machamp
1 Shaymin EX

For me, using Maxie's HBT to get the Machamp(s) is more effective. I prefer to get my main attackers into play fast, but can, if need be, wait on the supporting Machamp. I just prefer this flexibility.

In experimenting with a similar build, I found that the time it takes "on average" to get multiple Garchomps in play is too long for me. Secondly, I did not find any real advantage in using the Maxie's HBT route to get these particular Pokémon into play vs.... Machamp whose Ability will boost Fighting Pokémon attack damage by an additional 20 damage. My core deck list consists of:

2 Gabite
3 Garchomp
4 Gibble
2 Hawlucha (FFI)
2 Lucario EX
2 Machamp
1 Shaymin EX

For me, using Maxie's HBT to get the Machamp(s) is more effective. I prefer to get my main attackers into play fast, but can, if need be, wait on the supporting Machamp. I just prefer this flexibility.

This looks really scary actually, but I would think 3-1-3 Garchomp would slim you down a bit. Of course in that case you're going to run into a bit of a wall against item locks, but I think it's worth it to give yourself more room for trainers since they are really powerful in fighting decks.

This looks really scary actually, but I would think 3-1-3 Garchomp would slim you down a bit. Of course in that case you're going to run into a bit of a wall against item locks, but I think it's worth it to give yourself more room for trainers since they are really powerful in fighting decks.
IMO, "slimming" the Garchomp line increases risk of not getting enough Garchomps into play, especially in an Item-locking meta. In addition, reducing my Garchomp line places more pressure on my Lucario EXs which I'd prefer to utilize in key situations. On the other hand, slimming down the Garchomp line will provide the opportunity to insert more tech cards (e.g., Focus Sash) which could be helpful too. Decisions, decisions, decisions...

IMO, "slimming" the Garchomp line increases risk of not getting enough Garchomps into play, especially in an Item-locking meta. In addition, reducing my Garchomp line places more pressure on my Lucario EXs which I'd prefer to utilize in key situations. On the other hand, slimming down the Garchomp line will provide the opportunity to insert more tech cards (e.g., Focus Sash) which could be helpful too. Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Yeah it's really such a toss up.

doesn't 4 unown out of 10 basics cause you to open a lot with them?
and the alternatives aren't great either with 2 shaymin
basically 6 out of 10 starting pokemon are unwanted
I like the idea of running reserved ticket but if you just need any throw away card why not play puzzle of time instead which also provides real value and can make, getting the turn 1 maxies easier?

I don't think starting with Unown is really a problem with Garchomp, and may even facilitate its energy acceleration if you have to retreat.

Puzzle of Time and Reserved Ticket are both awesome with Unown too. I'm not sure which is better between a 100% chance to grab whatever you want from the top 3 cards, or a 50% chance to grab anything you want from the deck.

I definitely agree with putting at least a few of the baby sharks in, because item lock will be such an uphill battle it may as well be a wall. Especially against Trevenant, since it has the advantage of hitting Lucario for weakness.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I will defiantly consider using puzzle of time and do you think that I should run 4?

Seems like a lot of this deck is revolving around Garchomp setup which is going to take too long in my opinion. Not to mention he only does real damage against EX's. With the Meta the way it is, I'm going to guess you're only going to see an EX deck 50% of the time. Of course you'll see shaymins almost always, but you can just Hawlucha them to death. I feel like Hawlucha with focus sash is the better play vs EX's. Easier to setup and hits for just as much damage with 1 energy attached.

Back