Matt's Faking Competition - And the winner is...

PMJ

Silhouette Gloom of the Sundown Lands
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Welcome to the topic for my first faking competition. This competition is now over; feel free to post in this topic, whether you entered or not, until it is dead (last post is two weeks old).

This is the rubric all entries were graded on.

Following Directions: 10 points
This was an all-or-nothing score. Entries that were against the rules set for the round earned a 0 in this category. It was an easy 10 points, and everyone did all right on this.

HP: 10 points
This was also an easy 10 points. I rarely took points away from this category. As long as your fake had a reasonable amount of HP, you got all ten points.

Type: 10 points
Probably the easiest ten points to get, you just had to match one of your Pokémon's types to the card. Simple stuff.

Size: 10 points
I rarely had problems in this category, you guys were pretty good about keeping your cards within the space provided.

Body: 50 points
Everyone had some problems here, but I anticipated this. Most of it was wording issues rather than grammar, and I didn't see too many overly powerful cards, which is a good thing.

Bottom Stats: 10 points
This was another easy ten points. A weakness, maybe resistance, and a decent retreat cost = instant 10.

Total possible score was 100 points out of 100.

And now, the moment you've all been waiting for... the final standings.

Rank
1. ShinyMarshtomp - 484 points
2. Crazy Weavile - 483 points
3. Andyman - 475 points
4. Scipio - 465 points
5. Master of the six kings - 464 points
6. XKurama93X - 452 points
7. Flygon - 449 points
8. abaxter94 - 435 points

ShinyMarshtomp is the winner! What did he win, you ask? Take a look:

-> <-

Oh, what? Nothing there, you say? That's right, no prizes were awarded for winning. ShinyMarshtomp got the satisfaction that he beat all the other contestants, and that's all.

I'd like to thank the original 14 that entered, and especially thank the eight of you who stuck it out to the end. I enjoyed seeing the many fakes you all had to put forth.

Will there be another competition? Unlikely. I can't be bothered to do a second one. Maybe I'll do one in the future when we get some D/P cards. Who knows?

That's it from me. Post to your heart's content, everyone.

RE: Matt's Faking Competition (Join now!)

Sneasel-60HP-{D}
Basic
Poke-Body: Dark Healing
Once during your turn, when you attach a {D} energy from your hand to one of your {D} pokemon, remove one damage counter from that Pokemon

{C}Tackle 10

{D}Darkness Ring 10+
If Sneasel has any {D} energy attached to it, this attack does 10 damage plus 10 more damage.

Weakness Resistance Retreat Cost
{F} {C}

Bit too much, huh? Sorry that I can't give you the pic...

Skitty 50HP Colorless
Basic Pokemon

[C] Call For Family
Search your deck for up to 2 Basic Pokémon and put them onto your Bench. Shuffle your deck afterward.

[C][C] Tail Whip 10
Flip a coin. If, head during your opponent's next turn, any damage done to Skitty by attacks is reduced by 10(after applying Weakness and Resistance).

Weakness--[Fighting]--Resistance--[NONE]--[Retreat Cost]--[C]

Scyther        70HP Grass
Basic Pokemon

[C] Super Slash 20+
If the defending pokemon is an evolved pokemon,this attack does 20 damage plus 10 more damage.

[G][G][C] Dual Blade 40x
Flip a 2 coins,this attack does 40 damage times the number of heads

[Weakness]--Fire--[Resistance]--none--[Retreat Cost]--C

Finally a contest that will actually end :p

Hoppip 40HP {G}

{C} Ascencion
Search your deck for a card that evolves from Hoppip and put it on Hoppip.
(This counts as evolving Hoppip.) Shuffle your deck afterward.

{C} Rolling Tackle 20
Hoppip does 10 damage to itself.

Weakness Resistance -30 Retreat Cost
{R} {W} {C}

How about...

Misdreavus
60 HP, Psychic

Poke-Power: Frighten: Once during your turn (before your attack), if Misdreavus is your Active Pokemon, you may look at your opponent's hand. If there are any Pokemon cards there, choose 1 of them and shuffle it into their deck. You can't use more than 1 Frighten Poke-Power each turn. This power can't be used if Misdreavus is affected by a Special Condition.

(P)(C) Shadow Ball 30+
If there are any other Misdreavus or Murmage on your Bench, this attack does 30 damage plus 20 more damage.

Weakness: (D)
Resistance: (F)
Retreat Cost: (C)

i got one

Milotic 70 HP Water type

Stage 1
Feebas

Pokepower: Dive
once before your attack you may use this power. all effects including damage are gone. you may only use this power once per 2 turns.

colorless water
Twister: 20+
For every Water energy on Milotic this attack does 10 more damage than 20

Ah, very nice. Let's take a look at what we got.

Flygon
Following Directions: 10/10
HP: 10/10
Type: 10/10
Flourish: 10/10
Size: 10/10 It will fit, but it is a bit much, like I said before.
Body: 32/40 There are a few grammar errors. Energy is always capitalized, and numbers are always numbers. Darkness Ring is also ever so slightly unfair, but I did not take that many points away for that.
Bottom Stats: 10/10
Total Score: 92/100

Andyman
Size: 10/10
Body: 37/40 Only a couple grammar errors, good job
Total Score: 97/100

XKurama93X
Body: 32/40 Some grammar errors. I think Dual Blade is slightly overpowered.

ShinyMarshtomp
Body: 37/40 Ascension is spelled wrong. "(This counts as evolving Hoppip.)" should not be italicized, but I didn't hold that against you. It should also be "...onto Hoppip" rather than "...on Hoppip." Otherwise, looks good.
Bottom Stats: 9/10 With 40 HP, Ascension, and a self-damaging attack, I don't think Hoppip needs that [C] Retreat Cost. He's fragile enough as it is :p
Total Score: 96/100

Crazy Weavile
Body: 35/40 Change "Pokémon cards" to "Basic Pokémon or Evolution cards." Also, your opponent shuffles it into "his or her" deck, not you, even if you pick the card to be shuffled. Shadow Ball is a little overpowered; it is not hard at all to get another Misdreavus on your Bench. I think the wording is off on the second attack as well.
Total Score: 95/100

Cheesepuff1995
Following Directions: 0/10 Milotic is not a Basic Pokémon.
HP: 5/10 70 HP is really low for Milotic.
Flourish: 9/10 I'm sure this takes up space, but I can't be sure.
Size: 9/10 Might be a bit scrunched.
Body: 20/40 Countless wording and grammar errors. I don't even know what Dive is supposed to do. Like a free full cure every two turns? Not fair. The attack, I think, is fair.
Bottom Stats: 0/10 They are missing.
Total Score: 53/100

Take a look at real cards when submitting fakes. This goes for everyone. Does your card have an attack, body, or power effect that already exists on another card? Go look at it and make sure your wording is correct. I can't stress enough how important wording is. Even if the rest of your card is a pile of crap, if it's worded nice, it just looks better. Compare this:

onix - 90 hp fighting

{c} hard voice 10 damage
flip a coin if heads theyre parelyzed

{r} {r} {c} rock smash 40
onix takes 10 less on your opponents next turn

weakness water
resistance electric
retreat cost {c} {c}

to this:

Arbok - 120 HP - G

Poké-Body: Squeeze
As long as Arbok is your Active Pokémon, your opponent can't play any Energy cards from his or her hand.

C - Super Poison - 40
Discard 2 Energy attached to the Defending Pokémon. The Defending Pokémon is now Asleep, Burned, and Poisoned. Put 4 damage counters instead of 1 on the Defending Pokémon between turns.

WK: None / RS: G/F - 30 / RC: None

The first card is an eyesore. Grammar errors are everywhere, correct wording is non-existant. But it's fair. The second card looks nice; grammar is spot on, wording errors are nil... but it's broken beyond belief. I hope this can illustrate the importance of making your card look nice.

Preliminary rounds are still going on and don't end until early Thursday morning next week. I won't update the ranks because the scores here don't matter. At this point, Andyman leads the pack at 97 points, followed by ShinyMarshtomp with 96 points, and then Crazy Weavile with 95 points. Don't worry, cause this round is just practice. Everyone's score gets set to 0 once the real competition starts, this is just to see what you can do.

For the most part, everyone did well, but this round is ridiculously easy.

Also, I didn't anticipate this before, but from this point on, avoid making references to Diamond or Pearl. Pretend they don't exist. It only complicates things. Darkness and Metal basic Energy also do not exist, leave that thinking out of your fakes. CW, I didn't take points away from you because of your reference to Missy's evo in the attack.

The rules will be updated to reflect this change, see it in the first post.

Still got a week left, everyone who hasn't posted! Join today! :D

Allow me to take a shot at this.

Lapras - 80HP - Water
Basic Pokémon

Poké-body: Transport
As long as Lapras is on your bench, you may pay one [C] less to retreat your active Basic Pokémon.

[C] Confuse Ray 10

Flip a coin. If heads, the Defending Pokémon is now confused.

[W][W][C] Water Slam 40+

Does 40 damage plus 10 for every stage 1 or stage 2 evolved Pokémon on your opponent's bench.

Weakness: [G][L] Resistance: [F] -30 Retreat Cost: [C][C] Rarity: Rare.

Here is mine:

Sunkern-40hp-G

PokePower: Leaf Hover
As long as Sunkern has any (g) energies attached to it, you pay one less (c) to retreat your Sunkern and Sunflora.

(g)Pound 10

(g)(c)Absorb 20
Remove damage counters from Sunkern equal to the amount of damage done to the defending pokemon.

Weakness- Fire
Resistance-
Retreat Cost- (c)

There is my Sunkern.

heres my shot:

Dratini-40 HP-C

[C]pound    10

[C][C][C] outrage    
Put 3 damage counters on your opponents benched pokemon in any way you like.Dratini does 10 damage to itself.

Weakness [C]
Resistance [L][G]
Retreat cost:[C]

Arcanine 110 HP Fire
Stage 1 Pokémon
Pokebody: Speed up
At the beginning of your turn (after drawing a card), you may choose to end your turn inmideality. If you do, during your next turn, you may attack twice (benching Arcanine ends this effect).
(r)(c) Fire Manes
During your next turn, Agility's base damage is 90.
(r)(r)(c)(c) Agility 50
Flip a coin. If heads, during your opponent's next turn, the Defending Pokémon can't attack.
Weakness: (w)
Resistance: -
Retreat Cost: (c)(c)

Cool, more entries!

Scipio
Size: 10/10 Just right.
Body: 35/40 A couple grammar and wording errors, they are minor. Water Slam is a little overpowered.
Bottom Stats: 8/10 No regular Pokémon has two weaknesses. Lapras doesn't need two weaknesses. By "F" I'll assume you mean fire (since it's red, you lucked out on that); Lapras does not resist Fire.
Total Score: 93/100

abaxter94
HP: 10/10 Only cause of that Poké-Body, 40 HP is a bad thing to have.
Flourish: 9/10 A body and two attacks on a basic that evolves is a little much.
Body: 33/40 Same grammar and wording errors everyone else seems to have.
Bottom Stats: 10/10 I really think Sunkern should have a Resistance to Water, but he has the healer attack and the free retreat body... that is enough.

psyblazer_ex
HP: 8/10 With Outrage, 40 HP is just too low.
Flourish: 9/10 I do so loathe attacks with no effects, but at least Outrage does something special.
Body: 36/40 Your wording is actually spot on, but your grammar needs a little fixing. Outrage will kill Dratini in two hits (he's self weak, you need to specify not to apply Weakness if you damage yourself with self weak), and it's not really worth the cost.
Total Score: 95/100

DarkCrow
Following Directions: 0/10 Arcanine is not a Basic Pokémon. I thought of docking you 20 points because Arcanine is a "Legendary Pokémon" (it's his classification) just to be funny, but I decided not to. :p
Body: 36/40 Speed Up is a power, not a body, and a rather interesting one at that. I like it. Arcanine's attacks are relatively weak, so I don't see a problem with doing 100 damage every other turn. Other than that, you've got wording and grammar problems, like everyone else.
Total Score: 86/100

Andyman still leads with 97 points. Don't feel bad, all scores are reset for round 1.

Another thing I need to point out that Scipio reminded me of. These are the type abbreviations that I use:

W - Water
P - Psychic
D - Darkness
M - Metal
C - Colorless
L - Lightning
F - Fighting
R - Fire

I'm rather flexible, so if you are like my pal on pojo who uses "co" for Colorless and "ro" for Fighting, go ahead and do that in your fake. But I need to know what your abbreviations stand for, especially regarding Fighting and Fire. Some of you like to use F for Fire, and that's okay - just make sure you tell me. Five point loss if I need to guess. This will be reflected in the rules as well, first post for that.

Preliminaries end next Thursday. Consider joining if you haven't already! ^_^

Pimpwalkin' Mateo Johnson said:
0/10 Arcanine is not a Basic Pokémon.

I'm sorry but it says Stage 1 Pokemon .. Arcanine is my favourite Pokemon, why would I say it is a basic Pokemon xD?
I'm not that stupid xD
But thanks for rating it.

Kangaskhan-70HP-{C}
Basic Pokemon

Poke-Body: Parental Instincts
As long as Kangaskhan is in play reduce all damage done to your Basic Pokemon {excluding Kangaskhan} by 20. You can't use more than 1 Parental Instincts per turn.

{C} Collect
Draw a card

{C}{C}{C} Mega Punch 40

Weakness:{F}
Resistance
Retreat Cost{C}{C}

DarkCrow said:
0/10 Arcanine is not a Basic Pokémon.

I'm sorry but it says Stage 1 Pokemon .. Arcanine is my favourite Pokemon, why would I say it is a basic Pokemon xD?
I'm not that stupid xD
But thanks for rating it.

The directions were to create a Basic Pokémon, hence why in the "Following Directions" category, you got a zero.

Anyway, one more fake to rate.

Master of the six kings
HP: 9/10 Seems a bit low, especially since Parental Instincts excludes Kangaskhan.
Body: 36/40 One or two wording errors, couple grammar errors. Parental Instincts is a little unfair - it's like additional Resistance all the time, works wonders in all-Basic decks.
Bottom Stats: 10/10 I don't like paying 2 to retreat my 70 HP Basic, but it suits Kangaskhan fine.
Total Score: 96/100

Andyman leads with 97 points. Preliminaries end Thursday.

I'll join! Here's my Spoiler.

Qwilfish
60 HP
Water

Poke-Body : Poison Point

If Qwilfish is your active Pokemon and is damaged by an opponent's attack (even if Qwilfish is Knocked Out), the Attacking Pokemon is now Poisoned.

(C) Flail 10x

Does 10 damage for each damage counter on Qwilfish.

(W)(C) Liquid Ooze 20

If the Defending Pokemon is Poisoned, this attack does 20 plus 30 more damage.

Weakness Resistance Retreat Cost
(L) (-) (C)

armaldoEX
Body: 37/40 Flail is worded wrong (CG Aron). Liquid Ooze is a little overpowered, I think 20 + 20 would be fine.

We have a tie for the lead. Anyone else who wishes to enter can do so until Thursday.

armaldoEX
Body: 37/40 Flail is worded wrong (CG Aron). Liquid Ooze is a little overpowered, I think 20 + 20 would be fine.

We have a tie for the lead. Anyone else who wishes to enter can do so until Thursday.

Well, the Attack Flail has different wordings for the effects. Look at Totodile from Hidden LEgends and you'll see that it is similar to my wording.

It's outdated.

Back