Blog Marching On Through Hell and High Water: Five Ways to Play Night March in a Hostile Meta

I think I'm noticing one theme in each of these decks: For them to work optimally, you need to go first and disrupt your opponent even before they can even make a move in the first place. The issue ends up being the other decks being able to use the same tactics to the Night March player even before they make a move... I.e.: These are donk tactics that aren't super exclusive to any deck in particular.

I haven't played expanded for a very long time... And these tactics really make me want to stay away from the format even more. >.>

Night March will live on in casual play but is effectively dead because there will always be that percentage of players that fear it and always play Karen as a defense.

I think I saw an error. Objection!

"If they don't have a basic pokemon, they may have a shaymin."

That statement has an obvious contradiction.

Would you care to explain the meaning of this contradiction to this court?

So, I'll preface this with the fact that I used to play straight Night March (using Mew-EX) in Expanded. It's a deck that works, but that I found boring. That being said, the last two variants intrigued me quite a bit. Not quite enough that I'll be bustin' out my NM core again, but enough that I actually paid attention and looked at the lists from start to finish. My favourite would definitely have to be the Dragon variant. A rather novel concept.

I think Archeops also disables Rare Candy, as it is evolving from the hand.

I thought that at first, too. However, I've read that at the NVI prereleases, judges were given a FAQ sheet that stated that Rare Candy does indeed allow the Pokemon to be evolved despite Ancient Power. Also, the PTCGO allows Rare Candy to go through Ancient Power. I guess it's because of the fact that you're not technically 'playing the evolution card from your hand'. Like Wally, Evosoda, or Phantump's Ascension Ability, Rare Candy is the card that's being 'played from your hand', not the evolution card itself: the evolving is just an effect of the non-evolution card you played (or in Phantump's case, the attack you used).
Hope this helps.

So, I'll preface this with the fact that I used to play straight Night March (using Mew-EX) in Expanded. It's a deck that works, but that I found boring. That being said, the last two variants intrigued me quite a bit. Not quite enough that I'll be bustin' out my NM core again, but enough that I actually paid attention and looked at the lists from start to finish. My favourite would definitely have to be the Dragon variant. A rather novel concept.

Thanks for the constructive comment! Yeah, the amount of value (extra situations you have good answers to) that you get from simply adding 2 DDE, 1 Latios, and 1 Giratina is significant. Feel free to try it out for yourself. The variant before it (with Red Card, Captivating Pokepuff, Delinquent and Trick Shovel) is also pretty sweet. Despite how odd the list may look at first glance (and dubious the idea/strategy might seem), it actually works surprisingly well. The wrong way of going about it is thinking that you necessarily have to go all or nothing with the decimate-your-opponent's-hand-down-to-zero combo and that if it fails (either due to your opponent having a Sycamore in the four card hand or from not being able to access all the cards in the combo when you need them) thinking that you've failed and will probably lose. The disruption cards can give you control over the direction of the game at pretty much any point, really, and need to be played with careful sensitivity to the exact needs of the situation at hand. All in all, I've found that this disruptive pressure, when combined with the inherent power and imminence of the Night March, is a force to be reckoned with.

This is actually not true. That's how old Rare Candy functioned but it doesn't do that anymore.

So many conflicting opinions on this throughout the web. But I just tested this on the TCGO and it seems you are right. Just about a month ago I was playing Yveltal/Maxie's and someone used Rare Candy to cut through Ancient Power, though, so it looks like this is a recent change? And of course, the TCGO sometimes has bugs that don't reflect official rulings. Could you tell me when this new ruling came into effect? Or any other more specific details on this? Considering how popular Greninja has become in Expanded, it's definitely something we'd all like to be clear on.

So many conflicting opinions on this throughout the web. But I just tested this on the TCGO and it seems you are right. Just about a month ago I was playing Yveltal/Maxie's and someone used Rare Candy to cut through Ancient Power, though, so it looks like this is a recent change? And of course, the TCGO sometimes has bugs that don't reflect official rulings. Could you tell me when this new ruling came into effect? Or any other more specific details on this? Considering how popular Greninja has become in Expanded, it's definitely something we'd all like to be clear on.
This should be sufficient. If you want a more concrete answer you can always ask here.

Back