Contest March 2021 CaC: Generation 4 (All Results Up!)

Falling Skies

The Traveler
Allow me to present my entry.

Floatzel V HP: 200 [W]
Basic
floatzel.png

Ability: Last-Second Rescue
When 1 of your Basic Pokémon is Knocked Out by damage from an opponent's attack, you may discard all cards attached to that Pokémon and attach it to this Pokémon as a Pokémon Tool card. This Pokémon may have any number of Pokémon attached to it as Pokémon Tool cards. If it loses this ability, discard Pokémon Tool cards attached to it until 1 remains.

[W][W] Shore Storming 50x
Put all Pokémon Tool cards attached to this Pokémon into your hand. This attack does 50 damage for each card put into your hand in this way.

Weakness: [L] x2
Resistance:
Retreat: [C]

V rule: When your Pokémon V is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

As some of you may know, I really dislike Pokemon V, and the continued stagnation of the game they bring in favour of simply jacking the numbers higher, so I was quite surprised to find myself entering one this time. Part of that was out of practicality, as the ability was a nightmare to word even when it's just applicable to basic Pokemon, and if it doesn't rescue itself it's rather pointless, but I did hold off on posting this until I was absolutely sure I wouldn't get a better idea out of my distaste for the mechanic as a whole.

Anyways, I'm quite pleased with the card as it is. The ability, as far as I'm sure, has never appeared on an actual card, and features Floatzel doing what it does best: functioning as a Poke-lifeguard, saving them from drowning into the discard pile and then carrying them to the shore with its attack. The card's power looks a bit low if it's just attaching cards with its own ability, but there have been Pokemon in the past that attach themselves as tools, which this Floatzel would also count, and two of them are even legal in expanded, being Klefki STS and Shedinja LOT, which had a pretty beneficial effect of reducing the amount of prize cards you'd take when you knock out a Floatzel, so there's some incentive to leave it on. Meanwhile, Klefki's a basic Pokemon, meaning if your opponent can't disrupt your hand, you can repeatedly attach four of them a turn to Floatzel should you get set up that much, for an easy 200 damage + whatever other Pokemon you've attached with the ability. It's somewhat obtuse, but there is more to the card then waiting until your opponent knocks out five Pokemon and then using Floatzel. As a bonus, being a basic means it can rescue itself with its own ability, allowing you to loop them and giving the card some recursion to help it out.

In the future, should more Pokemon get printed as tools, this card could benefit a lot, and potentially even be its own archetype, given the unlimited damage cap and potential to stack buffs from the various Pokemon-as-tools. It's a mechanic I wish got explored more than ~once a generation since BW.

I hope you enjoy.

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
As a reminder, this month's deadline is earlier than usual! There's just under one week remaining to submit your entries!

Kangaflora

Aspiring Trainer
Might as well join in for Text, it has been a while since I last joined. I merely do it for fun.

Magnezone - 170HP - [L]
Stage 2: Evolves from Magneton
NO. 462 Magnet Area Pokémon HT: 3'11" WT: 396.8 lbs.

ABILITY: Active Dualing
As long as this Pokémon is in the Active Spot, it is [L] and [M] type.

[L][C][C] Super Thunder Bolt - 120

[L][L][C][C] Zap Cannon - 200
During your next turn, this Pokémon can't use Zap Cannon.

Weakness: [F]x2
Resistance:
Retreat: [C][C]

Some say that Magnezone receives signals from space via the antenna
on its head and that it's being controlled by some mysterious being.

The wording is based on the cards seen from Sword and Shield onwards (and yes the spelling of its Ability is intentional).

FireLizard

A man who knows nothing about proportions.
Here's my card,since Empoleon was already use it,it's time for Honchkrow!

Honchkrow HP 120 [D]
Stage 1-Evolves from Murkrow

[Ability] Count of the Darkness
Your [D] Pokèmon has no Weakness and do 20 more damage to your opponent's Active Pokémon (before applying Weakness and Resistance). You can't apply more than 1 Count of the Darkness at a time.

[C] [C] Evocation
Search your deck for a Basic [D] Pokémon, reveal it, and put it into your Bench.If your opponent has Pokémon V or Pokémon-GX in play,search your deck for an Evolution [D] Pokémon instead.Then, shuffle your deck.Either case,attach a [D] Energy from your hand to that Pokèmon.

Weakness: [L] x2
Resistance: [F]-20

"It will absolutely not forgive failure from or betrayal by its goons. It has no choice in this if it wants to maintain the order of the flock."

Count of the Darkness:
Altaria Roaring Skies
Incineroar Unbroken Bonds

Evocation:

Treecko Lost Thunder\Corsola Sun&Moon
Boltund Sword&Shield
Thundurus Matchless Fighters

HP,Weakness and Resistances,Retreat Cost:
Honchkrow Unified Minds

To make this Honchkrow,I was thinking about the popular Pokèmon in this meta,and one of them is Eternatus.And since Eternatus counters are rising,
including the new Urshifus from Battle Styles,I tought for a Pokèmon to protect Eternatus,and this Honchkrow was born.
Count of the Darkness removes Dark Pokèmon Weaknesses,and boosts their attack,good for destroy walls like the VMAXes with more facility.
Evocation for one Twin Energy sets up the bench for Eternatus VMAX'S Dread End and Eternal Zone,and if the opponent has any GX and V in play,it can even set up stronger Evolution Pokèmon,and of course don't forget that Evocation is also good for Energy acceleration.
Eternatus has found a new friend!

I hope you like this card!
Whoop I realized now that I wrote "has" instead of "have"

qrorohill

formerly known as TFP
Finished this card quite some time ago, but I never took the time to actually submit it.

Chingling – Psychic – HP30
Basic

Ability: Calming Bell
If you took this Pokémon as a face-down Prize card during your turn and your Bench isn't full, before you put it into your hand, you may put it onto your Bench and heal all damage from your Active Pokémon.

[P] Obnoxious Screech
Have your opponent discard a card from their hand. If this Pokémon has any damage counters on it, have them discard 3 cards instead of 1 from their hand.

Weakness: Psychic (x2)
Resistance:
By emitting its ringing sound, a Chingling at Jubilife City's trainer school kept tricking kids into thinking their class was over.

This is for the SM-era, because I'm terrible at other era's wording. Used Jirachi Prism Star as a reference for its ability.

Alolan Teddiursa

Aspiring Trainer
degc678-0901bb65-b1a3-4fd1-98a0-5645aaa3ae0e.png

Important notes for the Judge: I used a modified stage 1 blank instead of the regular stage 2 blank because I really didn't like to two evolution bars on top. It overlapped with text in most occasions. I hope thats fine:p.

Credits: 1. Awesome Blanks and Symbol Sheet: ILKCMP
2. Font Guide: Icycatelf
3. Holosheet: aschefield101, modified by me.
4. Artwork: 愛し子, modified by me.
5. Background: Jolliolly, heavily modified by me.

References: Unown A (Neo Discovery) (if you have more than one...in play, use only one...)
Dark Ariados (Neo Destiny) (If.... then, flip a coin.....)
Dark Porygon 2 (Neo Destiny) (stadium wording)

This is my first time entering CaC and it's nice to meet you all:p

FourteenAlmonds

Helipotile
Not my most ambitious work, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. This is my first DPPt-era image fake.

Regigigas-FB-1-7.png

I'm not gonna write an essay on it, but the attack is intended to peak around 70 to 100 per turn. Cards that shuffle your opponent's deck are pretty common (albeit a little less so in the DPPt era) but between energy acceleration effectively increasing damage, Let Loose-style abilities, items like Red Card that could potentially receive a Lackey reprint, and of course supporters like Judge -- I think its pretty reasonable in terms of damage. But of course, if you aim to go as turbo as possible, burning through your deck for those high-damage swings, the mill can potentially hurt yourself more than it does a conservative opponent.

If you want to go down a different deckbuilding route, the triple mill is nothing terrifying. I've yet to see mill find a successful build in Lackey and while this may be an added tool for mill, three cards per turn does not look that great when it costs CCC.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Here's my cac entry. Since I'm going to be eating, sleeping, and breathing DP era for the forseeable future, I changed my mind about not entering. Figured I'd give it a whirl.

I don't expect to win, but you can expect to see this body present in my set.

Glaceon a cute and a best so she's my subject for the card. The body is cool because it lets you pick your prizes. It's hard to find an effect that can go with that effect specifically since most cool things happen long after you've taken them, or before you've taken them. But there has never been an effect that just lets you pick whichever Prize you want, so at least I've got that going for me. Pretty sure the wording is right; if it's not, oh well. Honestly I'm just trying to pad the results and give Omega something to do. If anything on this blank is wrong, I took it all from him so it's his fault.

Obligatory "stop by the Discord server" plug, we've been starting to see some more new faces but we can always use more people who are actually interested in faking.

I'm not gonna look at the other entries so I hope no one else submitted Glaceon. If they did, well, they have good taste. Glaceon a cute and a best.

eV6wNbX.png

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Dropping sadly! University has not been kind to me this week.

Good luck to everyone entering!

AlphaLad

Aspiring Trainer
Here's my entry for this month:

degfdej-d5e7dc21-01fb-4d7d-aaf2-1f52cfefae41.png

For this month's entry, I decided to use my custom blank featuring the Pokemon+ mechanic. These are basically Level X cards, except they don't count as the same card as their previous evo. For reference, it's worded and balanced according to the current generation. The art is from All0412's Patreon.

Mr. Melon

Faking hard or flailing all around the yard.
CAC05-Vespiquen.png

For this CaC, I decided to take a different route for my design philosophy. Previously I had made mostly stand-alone cards, or ones with very slight synergy with old ones, such as my Hypno. This time, I wanted to make a card that supported and buffed 2 existing cards at once: both DPPt Vespiquen.

Vespiquen Lv.X 120HP [G]
[Poké-Body] Mother Hive
If all of your Pokémon in play are [G] type, the number of Benched Pokémon you can have is now 8, and you can't put non-[G] Pokémon into play. (If Mother Hive stops working, discard Benched Pokémon until you have 5 Pokémon on the Bench.)
[Poké-Power] Gather Order
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may search your deck for 2 [G] Pokémon, show them to your opponent, and put them into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterward. This power can't be used if Vespiquen is affected by a Special Condition.
Weakness: [R] +20
Resistance: [F] -20
Retreat Cost: [C][C][C]

HP: 100 HP stage 1's tend to have 120 HP Lv.X's (e.g. Electivire and Electivire Lv.X)
Weakness: DPPt Lv.X's have a x2 weakness, and Vespiquen always had a [R] weakness.
Resistance: Vespiquen has a historically [F] -20 Resistance.
Retreat Cost: Vespiquen has had possibly the least consistant Retreat Cost. The DPPt ones had 1 and 3, and there have been 0 and 2 retreat costs more recently. I will be going with a 3 retreat cost, as Electivire for example has always had a 3 retreat cost, and it has over twice the speed of Vespiquen, which has a miserable base 40.

Mother Hive:
Base Mother Hive Wording: Eternatus-VMAX
Noctowl DP: "If all of your"
Leafeon Lv.X MD: "all of your Pokémon"
Regigigas Lv.X SF: "of your Pokémon in play"
Charizard SF: "are [TYPE]"
Dialga MD: "[TYPE] type,"
Ditto TM: "the number of Benched Pokémon ... can have is now ..."
Team Galactic's Wager MT: ", and you"
Nidoking RR: "you can't put"
Pupitar N2/Bewear CIN: "non-[TYPE] Pokémon"
Dusknoir Lv.X SF: "put ... into play"
Eternatus-VMAX and Victreebel RG: "If Mother Hive stops working,"
Sky Field ROS (changed to singular): "discard Benched Pokémon until you have 5 Pokémon on the Bench."

Gather Order:
Beedrill RR (pluralized): "Once during your turn (before your attack), you may search your deck for ... [G] Pokémon, show ... to your opponent, and put ... into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterward. This power can't be used if Vespiquen is affected by a Special Condition."

Vespiquen has always been a favourite Pokémon of mine, as I played it when it had a brief moment of glory, albeit overshadowed by Night March. I wanted to go back to the original DPPt-era cards and give them a retroactive buff, so they could potentially have seen play. There were two non-SP Vespiquen cards in DPPt, so I crafted this card specifically to buff those cards. I chose to give it 2 abilities, both based on Vespiquen's lore. In one Pokédex entry, it states that "its abdomen is a honeycomb for grubs", so logically the leveled up version would have a more spacious honeycomb; thus, "Mother Hive". The other ability is based on Vespiquen's signature moves: Attack Order, Defense Order, and Heal Order. I chose to add a thematically similar ability in Gather Order, allowing Vespiquen to attract more bugs from the deck. This is also based in Pokédex entries, with one saying "Vespiquen that give off more pheromones have larger swarms of Combee attendants." The pheromones are canonically what cause the Orders to work, so it seemed like a natural Order to add. My lowest score here will probably be creativity, but I wanted to make a more grounded, highly playable card.

bbb888

Same user name as my Pokémon YouTube channel
Here's my very first CaC entry!

Mismagius - Psychic - HP 90
Stage 1 - Evolves from Misdreavus

NO. 429 Magical Pokémon HT: 2'11" WT: 9.7 lbs.

[.] Spiteful Gain
Flip a coin. If heads, search your opponent's deck for a Supporter card and discard it. Shuffle your opponent's deck afterward. Then, use the effect of that card as the effect of this attack.

[D] Thief 20
Search your opponent's discard pile for a Supporter card and put it into your hand. Return that card to your opponent's discard pile at the end of your next turn.

[P][C] Night of the Living Ghouls 30+
If you use this attack between 8:00 PM and 4:00 AM UTC, this attack does 30 damage plus 70 more damage.

Weakness: Darkness (+20)
Resistance: Colorless (-20)
Its cries sound like incantations. Those hearing it are tormented by headaches and hallucinations.

Since the theme of this CaC is gen 4, I am using wording from D/P era of cards. I tried to adjust the power creep (or the lack of it) to this era as well.

For the first attack, I use Sableye (Stormfront #48/100) as reference, but as far as I know, real cards don't search your opponent's deck. In exchange for having no energy cost, this attack requires a coin flip so that it's not too broken.

The second attack requires Darkness energy cost because in the mainstream video games, Thief is a Dark type attack. The effect is also inspired by video games, and it has synergy with the first attack! The phrase "Search your opponent's discard pile for a Supporter card" can be found on cards like Gardevoir (Secret Wonders #7/132). In a previous CaC contest, a judge said that taking a card from opponent is a no-go in the TCG. Therefore, this attack returns the stolen card after your next turn (whether you've played it or not).

I feel like the first two attacks by themselves don't deal strong enough damage, so I've added a third attack with a unique effect. UTC is the current local time and the PokeDex flavor text at the bottom comes from Pokemon Diamond.
I hope you like this card (I know I do :p )

47bennyg

Hmmmm
SPOILER_Magnezone_CaC.png

First time trying a "modern" fake... Thank God I had spring break to give me time to work on this, and for the Omnium blanks. WRRC are working off of SM era rules, because it's a GX.

In general I really try and make the card abilities and attacks related to the lore of the Pokemon, and I was pretty pleased with including some kind of magnet effect that wasn't just Magnet Pull from the Video Games.

The ability wording is probably sketchy, but that was the best I could come up with. I think it could have been more precise in what it is supposed to do. Basically it's just meant to copy the effect of Stadium cards for Metal stuff. If there is a Martial Arts Dojo in play, for example, you could apply that +10 damage to something with a Metal energy as well as something with a Fighting energy.