• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Mantis Lock Lurantis GX/Vileplume.

Anaheim comes first, non? Unless it was cancelled, in which case, I'm going to cry. ;~;

But yeah, I prefer Ability Lock as well. It just seems safer coming out of the gate.

-Asmer
Anaheim will be Standard format play; so, the variety of decks there "should be" less (?) than the Midwest tournament which will be Expanded format play.

Despite the T1 potential Item-lock, what success have you had, if any, against Volcanion decks? Just curious because I would be inclined to perhaps incorporate a counter for that particular match-up.

I've seen variants that run 3 copies of weakness policy. Get one out Then t1 item lock and you have a chance. This deck seems like it's extremely strong against almost everything else right now. With most decks having at least 1 auto loss I'd take my chances against volc this way.

I've seen variants that run 3 copies of weakness policy. Get one out Then t1 item lock and you have a chance. This deck seems like it's extremely strong against almost everything else right now. With most decks having at least 1 auto loss I'd take my chances against volc this way.
Thanks for the response; Weakness Policy also seems like a solid counter. It will be interesting to see.

Got 3 Lurantis last night and went 7 W 2 L. The two losses were my very first match (in which I misplayed all over the place) and a Scizor match in which he was able to get Trubbish down with a float stone turn 1. Fun to play (well, for me I'm sure NOT for my opponent), will let you all know how it goes tonight.

This deck is ridiculous!!! From what I see this is the best version of it... you need 3 oddish!!! and 3 shay is a must for itemlocking T1
I'm 17 W 2 L with it, both L against volc, if they set up you have little chance...I never played first against volc to see if item lock T1 is enough to overcome volc.

Poke– 21

4 Fomantis SM
3 Lurantis GX
3 Oddish AOR
3 Gloom AOR
3 Vileplume AOR
3 Shaymin EX
1 Morelull SM
1 Shiinotic SM

Trainers – 30

4 Professor Sycamore
2 N
2 Olympia

4 Ultra Ball
2 Level Ball
1 Timer Ball
4 Trainers’ Mail
4 Acro Bike
3 Float Stone

4 Forest of Giant Plants

Energy – 9

9 Grass

This deck is ridiculous!!! From what I see this is the best version of it... you need 3 oddish!!! and 3 shay is a must for itemlocking T1
I'm 17 W 2 L with it, both L against volc, if they set up you have little chance...I never played first against volc to see if item lock T1 is enough to overcome volc.

Poke– 21

4 Fomantis SM
3 Lurantis GX
3 Oddish AOR
3 Gloom AOR
3 Vileplume AOR
3 Shaymin EX
1 Morelull SM
1 Shiinotic SM

Trainers – 30

4 Professor Sycamore
2 N
2 Olympia

4 Ultra Ball
2 Level Ball
1 Timer Ball
4 Trainers’ Mail
4 Acro Bike
3 Float Stone

4 Forest of Giant Plants

Energy – 9

9 Grass
No Lysandre?

Tanure, I knew you'd be all over this deck!
I'm waiting for you bro, lets do some testing!

No Lysandre?
No...the point of this version is getting T1 item lock and some grass into discard pile.
ofc sometimes lysandre is the key to win, but it can mess with your first turn...

2 extra notes:
1- the record 17/2 can look a little high, but ppl scoop alot on T1...maybe it need some serious test.

2- Credits for the amazing list goes to OmniPoke youtube channel.

I know stupid work I've been putting in extra hours this week.... I kind of blended a bunch of them together to get mine, but I've only played nine games so it's still in progress.... Hopefully I'll be done with work in about an hour, hope you're still online Tanure. I'll dust off my Volcanion deck!

I've used this a fair bit online and I can safely say that Tanure13's list is very good. I agree that 3 Shaymins are MUCH better than 2 because Balling for missing pieces is much better when you have a Shaymin already in hand. Balling for Shaymin just feels inefficient. I've also played some Volcanion matches and it's more winnable for us if we go first. Not being able to Hoopa first turn cuts off a lot of their firepower which gives us more time to kill their baby Volc and cripple their game plan.

@Tanure13 how have you been liking shiinotic? A lot of people seem to make the argument that it's worse than just searching out the cards that you search with shiinotic. You are right tho, 3 shaymin is the truth.

my list:

4-4 Lurantis GX
3-3-3 Vileplume
3 Shaymin EX

4 Professor Sycamore
4 N
2 Lysandre
1 Professor Kukui

4 Ultra Ball
4 Forest of Giant Plants
3 Acro Bike
3 Trainers' Mail
3 Float Stone
1 Revitalizer
1 Level Ball

10 Grass Energy

I've also had similarly high win percentage in VS on ptcgo.

I like shiinotic, when I get the "perfect" turn 1 (plume+float+2 lurantis+2 or more grass in the discart) it is always in play.
Playing 1-1 line I get it out like 3/ 4 times in 10 games and it helps in the late game alot.
I will start playing 1-1 eevee vaporeon instead, it could a solution to volc...
@Candy_Flip how You fell about 2 lyzandre? I know it helps to snipe shays, but olympia is so important in this deck ..

@Tanure13 lysandre can buy you time to attach 3 to plume and hard retreat. Olympia I felt was too reactive and didn't help me win if I was in a neutral board state. 2 weakness policy seems better than vaporeon, because, even with vaporeon, you still trade oneshots with volcanion but they outresource you very easily and it's hard to consistently get vaporeon set up since your goal is to trainer lock asap. Lysandre is also huge against that deck because you can bring up a big volc to stall.

2-3-3 Vileplume – He’s gone insane! No, you read that right, a 2-3-3 Vileplume line. A 3-3-3 line would be acceptable as well, but I needed to find some corners to cut in the deck and that’s when I came up with the revolutionary new 2-3-3 Pokemon line for Forest of Giant Plants decks. Players first inclination might be to go to a 3-3-2 line in an effort to create space, but this is sub optimal compared to the 2-3-3 line.

I read that before somewhere else, plagiarism.

@Tanure13 how have you been liking shiinotic? A lot of people seem to make the argument that it's worse than just searching out the cards that you search with shiinotic. You are right tho, 3 shaymin is the truth.

my list:

4-4 Lurantis GX
3-3-3 Vileplume
3 Shaymin EX

4 Professor Sycamore
4 N
2 Lysandre
1 Professor Kukui

4 Ultra Ball
4 Forest of Giant Plants
3 Acro Bike
3 Trainers' Mail
3 Float Stone
1 Revitalizer
1 Level Ball

10 Grass Energy

I've also had similarly high win percentage in VS on ptcgo.

I read lists that have a single Beedrill-EX to counteract Garbodors. Have you thought of running one in your build?

@Tanure13's list seems the most like the original VespiPlume list, which was just so stupidly consistent and powerful, and has a lot of building blocks I'd use if I were to build the deck,. As a Volcanion player myself, that kind of build scares me the most, esp. with talk of swapping a Vaporeon line for Shiinotic. The deck's real true power comes from Item locking Turn 1, but so many of the lists I've seen are built around the Plume Box archetype, with a bunch of 4-of supporters, which was WAY clunkier and didn't get T1 lock even half the time.

My main Q is: why isn't Unown a staple in this deck anymore? I know, I know, without Vespi it doesn't seem like a necessary inclusion, but you're essentially playing with a 56 card deck and starting with it isn't as annoying because you're playing a minimum 3 Floats anyway.

Another card I've loved in my previous Plume builds and would try to find space for is Red Card. It's an insta-play card that, in most situations, shorts your opponent 2 cards. With most decks running around 50% items, the odds of Red Card-ing them into a pile of useless junk is pretty darn good.

I read lists that have a single Beedrill-EX to counteract Garbodors. Have you thought of running one in your build?
Its veeery rare the times when I go secund and they get trubish+float, I think its not a good use of the slot.

Some new notes to the thread: I played like 20 games with 1-1 vaporeon line instead of shiinotic, the results are, I find Just one volc and wasnt able to get it down...
Now Im playing float (now I have 4) and lyzandre in this two slots and I fell the deck is better, because You "always" find the float before plume.
My friend @21times spoke about some ppl playing alolan muk to shutoff steam up, i didnt test it, but since You going to get ohko anyway I dont think its good...

@Tanure13's list seems the most like the original VespiPlume list, which was just so stupidly consistent and powerful, and has a lot of building blocks I'd use if I were to build the deck,. As a Volcanion player myself, that kind of build scares me the most, esp. with talk of swapping a Vaporeon line for Shiinotic. The deck's real true power comes from Item locking Turn 1, but so many of the lists I've seen are built around the Plume Box archetype, with a bunch of 4-of supporters, which was WAY clunkier and didn't get T1 lock even half the time.

My main Q is: why isn't Unown a staple in this deck anymore? I know, I know, without Vespi it doesn't seem like a necessary inclusion, but you're essentially playing with a 56 card deck and starting with it isn't as annoying because you're playing a minimum 3 Floats anyway.

Another card I've loved in my previous Plume builds and would try to find space for is Red Card. It's an insta-play card that, in most situations, shorts your opponent 2 cards. With most decks running around 50% items, the odds of Red Card-ing them into a pile of useless junk is pretty darn good.

I took the Acro Bike out and put in Unown instead as I kept having to make really painful decisions between what to keep and what to discard.... Red card's not a bad idea, I hadn't thought of that.

Back