• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Magnezone / Pikachu EX / Raikou / Jolteon EX

Josephl64

Aspiring Trainer
Pokémon: 14
  • 2 Pikachu EX
  • 3 Magnemite(51)
  • 2 Magneton
  • 3 Magnezone
  • 3 Raikou
  • 1 Jolteon EX
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 33
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 4 Professor Birch's Observations
  • 1 Pokémon Center Lady
  • 2 Brigette
  • 2 Fisherman
  • 1 Skyla
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 2 Professor's letter
  • 3 Rare Candy
  • 2 Level Ball
  • 3 Ultra Ball
  • 1 Sacred Ash
  • 2 Rough Seas
Energy: 13
  • 11 Lightning
  • 2 Flash Energy
Strategy:

The traditional benched Magnezone supply lightning energy to all my attackers.

I do want to use at least 2 Pikachu EX, but I feel like using a 3rd might be overdoing it? I just received a Jolteon EX which might go well with the Magnezone setup.

I'm pondering over getting the Remoraid+Octillery for the free card draws as well as bringing in a few ultra balls.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am kind of at a loss since I've just rejoined the TCG since I left after the "Gym Challenge" expansion.

Last edited:
Definitely add a Clemont or two.
Professor's Letters are used to serve this purpose I suspect.

I believe your line-up of Pokemon are solid. Note that if you do decide to include the Lugia EX, you'll then have 15 Pokemon, not 14; so, a reduction elsewhere will be needed.

There are only a total of 5 card-draw Supporters listed which I believe are woefully insufficient. In my version of this deck, I run 2 Brigette, 2 Level Ball, 3 Ultra Ball, and 9 card-draw Supporters (4 Professor Sycamore, 3 Professor Birch and 2 Judge (for disruption too)). I also run only 1 Shaymin EX in my deck to help eliminate/minimize "dead" hands.

Why no VS Seeker - one of these most critical staples for any deck?

Suggested deck changes for improvement, IMO:

-2 Skyla - not critical in light of not having sufficient card-drawing support
-2 Trick Coin - not that helpful
-1 Rare Candy - 3 should be quite sufficient
-2 Heavy Ball - can only search and get Magnezone; lacks flexibility
-2 Healing Scarf
-2 L - total of 13 Flash/Ligtning should be quite sufficient

+2 Professor Sycamore - more card draw support
+1 Professor Birch's Observations - more card draw support
+1 Sacred Ash - for Pokemon recovery and recycling
+3 Ultra Ball - flexible Pokemon search and get Item and can dump L energy (preferred) into discard pile which then becomes target for your Fisherman
+4 VS Seeker - very essential to recovering and reusing your discarded Supporters

For "tanking" purposes, consider incorporating Fighting Fury Belts. A third Rough Seas would be helpful too.

Should you want to incorporate an Octillery line (2-2 minimum, IMO), you could replace all 4 suggested Professor Birch's Observations with these Pokemon. I would also suggest you add another Level Ball too (-1 L energy). Also, consider incorporating a few Judges for opponent's hand disruption - your Octillery can still replenish your hand.

I hope you find these comments helpful.

Why no VS Seeker - one of these most critical staples for any deck?

Suggested deck changes for improvement, IMO:

For "tanking" purposes, consider incorporating Fighting Fury Belts. A third Rough Seas would be helpful too.

Should you want to incorporate an Octillery line (2-2 minimum, IMO), you could replace all 4 suggested Professor Birch's Observations with these Pokemon. I would also suggest you add another Level Ball too (-1 L energy). Also, consider incorporating a few Judges for opponent's hand disruption - your Octillery can still replenish your hand.

I hope you find these comments helpful.

Okay, this is what I have so far now(couldn't find anything to replace for the extra Level Ball, Judges, & Belts):

• 2 Pikachu EX
  • 3 Magnemite(51)
  • 2 Magneton
  • 3 Magnezone
  • 3 Raikou
  • 1 Jolteon EX
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 1 Pokémon Center Lady
  • 2 Brigette
  • 2 Fisherman
  • 1 Skyla
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 4 VS. Seeker
  • 2 Professor's letter
  • 3 Rare Candy
  • 2 Level Ball
  • 3 Ultra Ball
  • 1 Sacred Ash
  • 2 Rough Seas
  • 11 Lightning
  • 2 Flash Energy

I didn't add any VS Seekers because I guess I've overlooked their usefulness as nobody in my area seems to have them.
Also I added the Heavy Balls because the deck wouldn't work without the Magnezone, but I guess I shouldn't have any problems getting one now.
As mentioned earlier, are my Professor's Letters better suited to my needs than a Clemont or Energy Retrievals?

Since you mentioned the Octillery option, would it be better for me to go that route instead of Birch? Just asking as it's not like I have to have Octillery if Birch suits my needs better.

And finally, how many Fighting Fury Belts would you say would be sufficient?

Okay, this is what I have so far now(couldn't find anything to replace for the extra Level Ball, Judges, & Belts):

• 2 Pikachu EX
  • 3 Magnemite(51)
  • 2 Magneton
  • 3 Magnezone
  • 3 Raikou
  • 1 Jolteon EX
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 1 Pokémon Center Lady
  • 2 Brigette
  • 2 Fisherman
  • 1 Skyla
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 4 VS. Seeker
  • 2 Professor's letter
  • 3 Rare Candy
  • 2 Level Ball
  • 3 Ultra Ball
  • 1 Sacred Ash
  • 2 Rough Seas
  • 11 Lightning
  • 2 Flash Energy
I didn't add any VS Seekers because I guess I've overlooked their usefulness as nobody in my area seems to have them.
Also I added the Heavy Balls because the deck wouldn't work without the Magnezone, but I guess I shouldn't have any problems getting one now.
As mentioned earlier, are my Professor's Letters better suited to my needs than a Clemont or Energy Retrievals?

Since you mentioned the Octillery option, would it be better for me to go that route instead of Birch? Just asking as it's not like I have to have Octillery if Birch suits my needs better.

Your revised list looks much stronger now. By the way, the Forum Moderator will eventually ask you to update your original post with your revised list. This will help minimize confusion with any future feedback from other PokéBeach members.

IMO, this is a matter of player's "style." I would think if anyone opted to utilize Octillery for card-drawing support, this opportunity affords the player the chance to run more opponent "disruption" cards like Delinquent and Judge knowing you can still rely upon Octillery for card drawing. On the other hand, Octillery is an easy 1HKO for most players and/or its Ability can be nullified with either Hex Maniac or Garbodor's Garbotoxin. Needless to say, card-drawing Supporters do not need any setup time either unlike Octillery. If your current card-drawing Supporter engine works for you, great; then why change?

I'd suggest adding no more than 2 and for the EX Pokémon primarily you need to use. This Tool will hopefully keep your particular EX Pokémon in play longer.

Your revised list looks much stronger now. By the way, the Forum Moderator will eventually ask you to update your original post with your revised list. This will help minimize confusion with any future feedback from other PokéBeach members.

Done

If your current card-drawing Supporter engine works for you, great; then why change?

I actually haven't gotten my Birch cards in yet and have only been using Skyla, but I think I'll stick with them and see how I like them before considering anything else then.

I'd suggest adding no more than 2 and for the EX Pokémon primarily you need to use. This Tool will hopefully keep your particular EX Pokémon in play longer.

Alright, then I guess it'd go towards my Pikachu EX since it has only 130 hp.

This will probably be the final thing so I'm a bit hesitant on removing 2 more lightning energy from my deck since I feel like it might be pushing it too far.

So maybe 1 lightning and skyla/sycamore/ultra ball?

You definitely need 2 Jolteon-EX or you pretty much lose to Night March

Alright, then I guess I'll proxy with this:

*changes: -1 Raikou, +1 Jolteon EX, -1 Sycamore, -1 lightning energy, +2 fighting fury belts

• 2 Pikachu EX
  • 3 Magnemite(51)
  • 2 Magneton
  • 3 Magnezone
  • 2 Raikou
  • 2 Jolteon EX
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 34
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 1 Pokémon Center Lady
  • 2 Brigette
  • 2 Fisherman
  • 1 Skyla
  • 3 Professor Sycamore
  • 4 VS. Seeker
  • 2 Professor's letter
  • 3 Rare Candy
  • 2 Level Ball
  • 3 Ultra Ball
  • 1 Sacred Ash
  • 2 Fighting Fury Belts
  • 2 Rough Seas
Energy: 12
  • 10 Lightning
  • 2 Flash Energy

May want to consider battle compressor since you run fisherman. Let's you discard your energy and supporter. Thus more consistency

my only problem now is that I do like the cards I have in my original post alot now, but I'm having trouble figuring out what cards to replace for others.

I do have 90% of the original post's deck in right now and should have the rest in a day or 2. This should let me figure out things a bit.

What is Pokemon Center Lady for? You should probably take it out and add a Sycamore

well the top post is what I currently have with the 4, and the latest one is something I'm just trying out.

I thought the Pokemon Center Lady might be nice for some healing.

What about Clemont from Generations. Enables you to draw 4 lightning from pile. I took out my professors mail and replaced with Clemont in my Raikou/Magnezone/Pikachu EX deck. Helps with Seismitoad or any item lock ability.

so I guess -1 Professor's Letter and +1 Clemont? Yeah I could see that working for me, might try it.

I had 2 Prof letter and replaced with 2 Clemont. Plus it works great with vs Seeker. I can pull it out from discard and use again.

Back