JustInBasil

Grass-Type Gym Leader
News Staff
Pokemon has revealed new Magmar, Magmortar, Electabuzz, and Electivire from Japan’s upcoming set S9 Star Birth, which releases there on January 14th. Cards from Star Birth are expected to become part of the international set Brilliant Stars in February.
Magmar – Fire – HP90
Basic Pokemon
[C][C] Low Kick: 20 damage.
[R][R][C] Fiery Punch: 70 damage.
Weakness: Water (x2)
Resistance: None
Retreat: 2

Magmortar – Fire – HP140
Stage 1 – Evolves from Magmar
[C][C] Mega Punch: 50 damage.
[R][R][C] Bolt Projection: 120+ damage. If Electivire is on your Bench, this attack does 120 more damage.
Weakness: Water (x2)
Resistance: None
Retreat: 3...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
Magmar/Magmortar, Electabuzz/Electivire - we only need either Electivire or Magmortar that has an ability and we are good to go. Because, this thing is just fine. 120 for 1 on an Electivire isn't gonna KO much in this format. Magmortar, on the other hand, is just meh. Sure, 240 is the needed dmg to deal with, but how will you T1 that 3 energy on a Stage 1? 3/3-4, 3/3-4

autumn

wurmple enthusiast
Magmar/Magmortar, Electabuzz/Electivire - we only need either Electivire or Magmortar that has an ability and we are good to go. Because, this thing is just fine. 120 for 1 on an Electivire isn't gonna KO much in this format. Magmortar, on the other hand, is just meh. Sure, 240 is the needed dmg to deal with, but how will you T1 that 3 energy on a Stage 1? 3/3-4, 3/3-4
while it'd still be difficult to get all the pieces together quickly enough, magma basin goes a long way to getting the energy on magmortar while also putting damage on it for electivire's attack, sure 120 isn't loads in this format but it'd clean up kills on vmax's that've been hit by magmortar + i guess it at least OHKOs suicune

autumn

wurmple enthusiast
really love the art on all of these & while i'm sceptical that they'd have enough to be viable, i feel like it'll at least be a fun deck to mess around with

mrpnut03

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
I love the sniping capabilities of this deck, set them up with Magmortar and watch them all fall with Electivire (plus telescopic). Or just use Raikou and Electivire minus the Magmortar. Electivire is a better Raichu that comes at a heftier price.

It’s definitely a pile, but just my kinda pile that I like to have fun putting together.

WillyCharizard

Aspiring Trainer
If I remember correctly, Boltund hit 130 for 1 energy just having counters on it, Yamper also have a relative good abilitie for setup, needing the counter in a different stage 1 its easily twice the effort and its make even less damage, for all the effort you need to put on it, it should be able to hit 170, 160 or 150 as minimum

autumn

wurmple enthusiast
If I remember correctly, Boltund hit 130 for 1 energy just having counters on it, Yamper also have a relative good abilitie for setup, needing the counter in a different stage 1 its easily twice the effort and its make even less damage, for all the effort you need to put on it, it should be able to hit 170, 160 or 150 as minimum
well the electivire also helps the magmortar do more damage, and that damage counter can be put on the magmortar while accelerating energy to it with magma basin. also it can at least do some damage with a damage counter down unlike boltund who'd then need extra energy, so there's a lot more to consider with it

LightYearLiam

Actually pretty cool. I'll probably play a deck based on these when they come out, it seems fun.

Edit: Now that I'm thinking about it, that Magmar art is really cool and unique. (All of the art on these cards is very good, of course.)

Last edited: