Magic the Gathering

nabby101

Needs a new user title.
This game is really popular, I'm pretty surprised there isn't any thread for it. I'm not exactly sure if this is the right forum, so if it's not then the mods can move it.
Anyway, just discuss MTG here, combos, decks, favourite cards.
I just got into this game when M11 was released, and I usually play Blue/White Control decks. Unfortunately, I don't have tons of money, so I can't get playsets of Baneslayer Angels or Frost Titans, etc. It's still fun though. I might make an infect deck soon, I've heard they're pretty cheap.

They sort of reprinted Wrath in the form of Day of Judment. It does the same thing but doesn't have the regeneration clause.
Platinum Angels effect is pretty awesome, he's just a bit expensive. Do you play Contagion Clasp or Engine in that deck?

I curently play a red/black deck :)
one of my favorite cards is Earth Elemental when used with two specific other cards
another is my Black Knight (because i only really play my boyfriend and he plays a white/blue ally deck)

Thought Prison... then you play Legacy? Or just Casual?
Earth Elemental is pretty awesome, I once got his toughness as high as 22 lol. Black Knight and White Knight are cheap and powerful.

*Moved to Entertainment Section*

As for the game, I'd play, but the people who play it at my league smell bad and scare me :/

Haha lol. Maybe you should get Magic Online? It's the same sort of deal, except you buy the cards and play online.

I just play casual at home, but online the cards are cheaper, so my deck's pretty competitive there.

The only thing is that with MTG Online you don't get the cards in real life so you must have a computer and internet connection to play which I don't like. If you buy the packs you can play wherever and whenever you want.

I'm pretty serious about Magic, actually. I play a competitive decks, and play in as many local tournaments as possible.
To the OP, Baneslayer isn't as good as you think. In fact, Brian Kibler took them out for Squadron Hawks. (The only creatures in his deck).

He took out Baneslayers for Squadron Hawks? Wow; Squadron Hawk is good, but IMO it doesn't compare to Baneslayer.
Claws of Valakut is pretty awesome on Earth Servant.

Well, if you're playing Fauna, Hawks are awesome, though if it's UW control I have no idea why Hawks over Frost or even Sun. Or Sphinx. Card advantage can only go so far on a 1/1.

Personally, I have a monowhite, monoblack and monored control deck that plays 10 different high-end finishers for the lulz. They would be successful if the periodic mana drought didn't keep happening. Following that... a GW Tokens based off the Leyline, Ajani's Pridemate, and other random pumpers like Ajani and Garruk. Also a UW Skies feat. Gravitational Shift which seems to have logistical problems... Planning on making a UB Painful Quandary with Jace and Temple Bell, though I think that's recursive drawback removal. Then a RB Sacrifice deck with Furnace Celebration and Mortitian Beetle, though the mana requirements are so heavy I might have to use every dual land in format...

I also enjoy using Uril (plus Sacred Wolf), fitting him out with Auras and smashing face with a >7/>7 with a myriad of abilities. Uril+Runes=18 damage coming at you.

Shame this is all MWS though.

Squadron Hawk isn't supposed to be a Baneslayer/Titan replacement. More than anything, it's like replacing Wall of Omens (ROE) in white/blue control. Brian Kibler used Squadron Hawk (M11) (deck name "Caw-Go") in his white blue control deck as part of his deck's strategy; this isn't your grandmother's white/blue control deck. In addition to providing one-card-for-three-type card advantage (which is insane), Squadron Hawks also stall quite excellently, giving you time to set up your Jace, The Mind Sculptor (WW) and Gideo Jura (ROE). In tight situations, Squadron Hawk is even worth 1 damage in the air! Squadron Hawk is a really insanely good card when you think about. Hand Advantage, mill advantage, plain, flat-out card advantage, a 1/1 flier all for just two mana. It's no wonder he chose it over Wall of Omens.

As for the fact that he plays no offensive five/six-drop as a finisher (aside from his Planeswalkers), it's probably because White/Blue really doesn't need them. White/Blue really started out as a set up deck, stalling out the game until you had enough threats to outwit your opponent. Once you got enough mana, you won the game by swinging for lethal with Gideon and Celestial Collonade. The deck is really about attrition more than anything. Stall creatures, counter spells, Boardsweep, etc. It's all about controlling your opponent; hence the terminology of "Control deck". I've seen variations of the deck that played zero creatures! The deck is in no immediate need of a huge finisher. In rare cases, sometimes it is even possible to go for a direct win by powering Jace up to ultimate.

I myself don't play too seriously (though you might think so judging by the above super-rant). I do, however, play competitive games with my buddies, we proxy the expensive cards so we can play seriously. I play competitive magic, but I play it casually and just for fun. Current deck is Blue/Black control, Guillaume style.

Edit:
Btw, Baneslayer, though dwindling in popularity, is one of the best printed cards in the current standard format, if not all time. The only reason it isn't being used as much because a lot of decks, Blue/Black control in particular, pack insane amounts of removal.

Yeah, I saw how it was trying to work, it pulled out more walkers than standard, I remember Gideon's usually only a 1-of in most UW compared to his 3. Of course, the Colonnades aren't just for show either.

Baneslayer isn't the finisher in most not just because it's removable easily by UB, it's been dropping for ages now. It's because compared to Grave Titan or Broodmate (in days before), it's not providing any material even after removal. Frost Titan works well even if it's removed, it'll keep them off a turn of mana, roughly 5-6, in which your walkers keep pumping out advantage.

What's happened to RDW these days? Did the loss of the heavy sparkers (Hell's, Ball Lightning) make it harder to punch through whatever walls decks put up? I know it's just stuff like the Sea Gate, Battlement and Omens up, but I'd thought them with a better matchup then the terrible ones they've had so far. I suppose I get URG, Quest and Vamps beating it easily; URG is a cleaner midpoint to Valakut's saturated ramp pack, Quest has bigger explosive draws and throws down a 7/7 or so on the third turn, while Vamps has recurring attackers, life drain and things that can affordably trade. I suppose Boros's exploding lands is more effecient than the burn.

Back