• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

MacLand (Machamp / Landorus EX)

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
Following is a deck I've built and play-tested for a few weeks. when the English scans of the Furious Fists (FuF) were finally released, my Poke pals and I proxied a variety of decks and commenced testing. All of the early play-testing culminated with this particular deck version which I considered to be my "final" version (i.e., post-BB testing) of MacLand:

Pokemon (16):

• 1 Hawlucha
    2 Landorus
    3 Landorus EX
    2 Lucario EX
    3 Machamp
    1 Machoke
    3 Machop
    1 Mewtwo EX
Trainers (33):

• 3 Bicycle
    2 Colress
    1 Dowsing Machine
    1 Energy Retrieval
    2 Energy Switch
    4 Korrina
    2 Lysandre
    2 Max Potion (or 1/1 Cassius / Max Potion)
    2 Muscle Band
    3 N
    1 Pal Pad
    3 Professor Juniper
    1 Professor's Letter
    3 Rare Candy
    1 Switch
    2 Ultra Ball
Energy (11):

• 7 Fighting
    4 Strong
Strategy:
With the release of the FuF set, F decks got a tremendous "boost" with the Fighting Stadium, Korrina, Landorus, Lucario EX, Machamp and Strong energy. The apparent synergy and appeal of combining these FuF cards with Landorus EX was overwhelming. The strategy of the deck is to leverage the awesome combined damage output of these cards and just simply "out slug" my opponent to victory.

Background - Noted Pokemon:
Machamp's role is primarily to be a bench warmer utilizing its Ability to boost the output damage of my attacking F Poke. But, I finally opted for a 3-1-3 Machamp line. Initially, a 4-2-4 line was used in order to maximize the opportunity of benching Machamps for its damage output boosting Ability (Fighting Fury) which can stack. However, I also found from early play-testing experience, that running 4 Machamps became more of a liability than an asset. Machamp's Ability is fantastic, despite its being a Stage 2 Poke (which has certain deck needs), but Machamp also has one other characteristic that opponents can use to their advantage: Machamp Crush attack requires FFF energy cost to inflict 80 damage (with the potential of significantly reducing the opponent's next attack) which is not great for 3 primary energy. And since there is no "Rain Dance'ing" capability for F Poke, it is just too time consuming to power-up this Poke manually, IMO. This Poke also deals with encountered Pyroars very nicley too.

FuF Landorus has a good amount of HP for a Basic and is a solid starter for the deck since its attack inflicts damage AND provides some energy-attachment-acceleration capability.

Landorus EX is my preferred starter. This Poke still remains to be one of the most, if not the most, efficient attackers in the game, IMO. Just consider starting second with this Poke with a Muscle Band and Strong energy in hand... Lando's Hammerhead attack can result in a 70-30 damage output - amazing for just S energy cost. Starting with this Poke can also buy some time to setup the bench and attach energy to other Poke while my opponent is dealing with all of the Hammerhead damage. Plus, its second attack, Land's Judgement, can either inflict 80 or 150 damage. This Poke is, IMO, awesomeness Poke'fied.

Lucario EX not only has 2 good attacks (3 total, but its 3rd attack is just not that good, IMO), but its 2nd attack inflicts decent amount of damage and allows you to potentially draw cards too. Plus, this Poke has a different Weakness than Landorus EX; so, my attackers can vary based upon the opposition to reduce my opponent's 2x Weakness damage output opportunities.

Background - Noted Trainers:
For me, incorporating (more often, it's more developing and evolving) the "right" mix of Trainers requires patience since this group of cards are tweaked most often from my play-testing. My "core" cards consists of:

• 3 Bicycle - Item-based card draw support to complement Korrina
    2 Colress - will tend to have full bench
    2 Energy Switch - helps with some EAA, especially for Mewtwo EX and Machamp (when needed)
    4 Korrina - for Poke and Item search
Korrina can get a F Poke AND an Item. Early on, I discerned quickly that there was very little/no need for Skylas which I typically run in Stage 2 decks. On the other hand, being a Supporter (i.e., Korrina), as well as running 4 (to maximize my chances of drawing into 1), Supporter "clashes" occurred too many times during my early play-testing. These clashes simply represent those incidents when I needed to draw cards AND utilize Korrina to search and get needed Poke during the same turn. To resolve this issue, Bicycles (provides Item-based card draw) were incorporated. Another benefit I found with Korrina is that "heavy" draw and Poke search cards (e.g., 3 Bianca/Colress, 4 PJ, 4 Ultra Balls, etc.) are not required to support efficient deck operations.

Strategy - playing this deck:
In general, some of my general tactics for playing this deck include:
  • Get Landorus EX into the active position as quickly as possible and just Hammerhead opponent's key Poke till he/she "deals" with my Lando.
  • KO opponents' Mr. Mimes and Litleos as quickly as possible.
  • Keep Machamp in bench warming mode as much as possible.
  • Attach a minimum amount of energy across different benched Poke to minimize opponent's X Ball-like attack damage. Leverage Energy Switch when necessary.
  • Use Lucario EX and Machamp as a secondary (or primary if playing against Seismitoad) attacker.
Strategy - playing against this deck:
Should you encounter this deck, 1 general tactic to defeat this deck include:
  • Catcher/Lysandre energy-less Machamp(s) (takes "long" time to power-up/retreat - forcing opponent to burn through resources).
Summary:
After about 3 weeks of play-testing, I believe this deck:
  • Can definitely compete in a Bo3, 50 minute match.
  • Competes well against "top" decks (e.g., Big Basics w Garbodor (BBG), Kangaskhan, Empire, Greninja-Miltank, Pyroar, etc.)
  • May need to revert back to 4-2-4 Machamp line in order to ensure getting 2 Machamps onto bench consistently since I encountered quite a few Item-lock deck variants.
  • May consistently have difficulty against Seismitoad EX and VirGen decks.
As one might suspect, the BBG F deck version is faster; so, I plan to morph this deck into that version (essentially replacing the entire Machamp line) and start play-testing that particular deck.

I welcome questions and your comments. Thanks for your review.

What is BBGF? The only change that I would say would to be to drop the hawlucha for Kyurem EX with outrage to counter well against Landorus EX when you are playing one. Other than that I like the deck. I like that you explained your choices and why you chose those cards.

Ironman131 said:
What is BBGF?
Sorry - BBGF is what we call the deck Big Basics with Garbodor, Fighting Poke variant.

Ironman131 said:
I like that you explained your choices and why you chose those cards.
Thanks. I thought it would be helpful to share some of my reasons which can be puzzling at times when others view a list. Decks are affected by a variety of factors (e.g., playing style, metagame, etc.) that others reviewing the deck list may not clearly understand/appreciate without some extra comments.

Hi TuxedoBlack,

Nice deck in general but I would still prefer to have four Sycamore and four N instead of Bicycles since the deck is real self sufficient and biyclyes do not draw that much in this deck. You also mentioned energy switch in the strategy section as a means to fuel Mewtwo but there seem to be none in the deck list.

Thanks Dark Espeon.

Dark Espeon said:
...I would still prefer to have four Sycamore and four N instead of Bicycles since the deck is real self sufficient and biyclyes do not draw that much in this deck.
First of all, I very seldom run 4 PJs in any of my decks. From my experience, there were more times than not when I ended up discarding other valuable resources in order to draw a fresh hand. Secondly, although 4 maximizes your chances of drawing into one, there's a real good chance that one would not ever actually play 4 in a game in order to draw 28 cards... One of those PJs would probably not get played or it would be perhaps discarded. So, I've chosen to dedicate that 4th spot to something else. Lastly, Bicycles work just fine (for me) in conjunction with Korrina. When I need to get that F Pokemon and draw some cards, Bicycle gives me that option; whereas having to choose between a PJ over a Korrina may not.

Dark Espeon said:
You also mentioned energy switch in the strategy section as a means to fuel Mewtwo but there seem to be none in the deck list.
Thanks, again; deck list has been corrected.

What are your thoughts on putting in a Fighting Stadium?

I play tested this deck a little bit w/

-1 Landorus

+1 Fighting Stadium

I've seen more and more decks run Virbank and since this deck only runs 1 switch getting out of the poison is sometimes not an option plus you get that extra 20 damange for Fighting.

If Fighting Stadium did not just target EX Poke, I would strongly consider it; but, since it does, I would choose Virbank City Gym over that Stadium. But, after lots of play-testing, I also concluded that Korrina is a much better fit for this deck vs. Skyla eventhough Korrina can not get a Stadium. So, I also decided not to include any Stadium, further decreasing any need for Skyla.

Don't forget about fighting against Pyroar FLF! You'll probably use Machop, Machoke, or Machamp as attackers against him, aye?

EDIT: Ah! I just saw that you mentioned something like that. Good on you.

Back