• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard M-Houndoom EX

zerdoman

Aspiring Trainer
Hi guys, I'm posting my new deck with my beloved Houndooms which turns out to work really good! I managed to get a Shaymin-EX (at last), and has massive draw power and several strategies to use all the power of the Hounds. Here's the list:

Pokemon (10):
  • 4 Houndoom EX
  • 3 M-Houndoom EX
  • 1-1 Octillery Breakthrough
  • 1 Shaymin EX
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums (40):
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 2 Battle Compressor
  • 2 Switch
  • 4 Traniers' Mail
  • 1 Escape Rope
  • 1 Super Rod
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 3 Houndoom Spirit Link
  • 2 Shrine of Memories
  • 1 Silent Lab
  • 3 Blacksmith
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 2 Giovanni's Scheme
  • 2 AZ
  • 2 Judge
  • 3 Professor Sycamore
  • 2 Shauna
Energy (10):
  • 4 Burning Energy
  • 6 Fire Energy
Strategy:

Okay so main attackers are obviously the Mega Houndooms. I use Giovanni to get the extra 20 damage I need to OHKO basic EXs, while it can also be used to draw. Switch and Escape rope are there in case I start with a Shaymin or Octillery and don't wanna waste an A. Z. to use another supporter. Judge works good here as it shuffles your hand so you don't have to discard, leaves your opponent with only 4 cards, and still leaves space to draw with Octillery and Shaymin. And the bomb. Shrine of memories. Enables me to use the attacks of basic Houndoom EX having the mega out, which could be useful to power up the Hounds coming up and even leave your opponent with no cards if the case is given.

Rate and comment please. I'm sure there are some things I am leaving out. Happy game!

Last edited:
You might want to consider running some Crobats. Even the Golbat places 2 extra damage counters, which lets you hit for the magic 180. Giovanni's Scheme isn't a bad option either, but I feel like with your trainer line you'd be able to consistently get the bats out to do that extra damage, as opposed to relying on having Giovanni's in hand.
I like Scorched Earth as a stadium more than Shrine of Ancient Memories. You should probably be using Mega Houndoom's atk to OHKO opposing EXs as much as possible. The extra draw power is cool, and it's another way you can power Blacksmith.

Hi Lamm, thanks for your comments,

I actually tried the crobats strategy (you can see the deck list here: http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/threads/m-houndoom-ex-crobat.126646/ ) and the reason why I built this one was because the other one simply dind't work, zubats were annoying, and I kept losing all games (you can also comment any suggestion on the other thread). So that is why I thought of adding 3 Giovanni's.

I don't think I need Scorched Earth as this deck has enough draw power and is pretty consistent (I won 10/10 games atm), and as I said I can play both KOing and destroying my opponent's deck

I wouldn't run both octillery and shaymin because that is getting rid of two bench slots, and if your opponent uses parallel city that leaves 1 extra bench slot for your houndooms.

I wouldn't run both octillery and shaymin because that is getting rid of two bench slots, and if your opponent uses parallel city that leaves 1 extra bench slot for your houndooms.
Hmmmm good point. However people who have used parallel city agains me prefer the -20 attack option as I use fire as main attack. And I normally use no more than 3 slots while playing this deck, so I don't see that a huge problem, considering I can also play my stadiums.

The biggest problem I see in my deck is facing toads, due to type disadvantage and item lock.

The only thing I can think of is crawdaunt to discard the DCE but that could be clunky or you could play parallel city so then the toad will only be doing 10 with the 20- damage if you don't need the extra bench space

I would definitely find room for another Lysandre because Regice completely walls Houndoom EX. Level Ball seems a waste of space because you can get only the Octillery line. With the amount of search and draw you have outside of that, you shouldn't have major issues getting it. The other open spot can go to a Silent Lab because it lets you get around Safeguard and able to take prizes.

-2 Level Ball
+1 Lysandre
+1 Silent Lab

This deck won't have a problem with safegaurd. safegaurd is in expanded. so that leaves beutifly that isnt a basic and then regice has an attack so no safe guard for this deck

It still helps against Giratina EX which could definitely be a problem. That single card can stop this deck to where you can only use regular Houndoom EX to damage it. My last League Challenge I judged there was quite a few Giratina + Tyrantrum decks. It also blocks your opponent from using Shaymin / Hoopa when you are in control.

First of all, there is another thread (http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/threads/the-blazing-hellhound-m-houndoom-ex-discussion.126551/) in the Deck Strategy Forum you might find interesting and helpful.

Secondly, with only 6 Basic Pokémon, you will have quite a few mulligans per game, thus giving your opponent extra cards early game. The mulligans places you at some disadvantage; so, I'd suggest maximizing your Judge count to help mitigate the risk.

In my testing thus far, Regice provides a "near" (except when they are prized... lol) autowin condition against this deck. So, you may want to consider incorporating a non-EX attacker.

Should either Remoraid or Octillery be prized, you've lost the use of an important deck component for potentially the entire game. I'd suggest having a 2-2 line for more consistency.

Are you finding that only 2 Stadiums are sufficient? I (and many other competitive players I know) run a minimum of 3. Regardless of deck, I also include a Silent Lab - which is HUGE when I can play it t1 and my opponent can't easily replace it. :)

I think you'd rather eliminate you shauna and 1 giovanni for more birch or judge, think of the trade off this way birch for 4 ultra ball down to 1 draw up to 5 9 cards in 1 turn or 7 cards in one turn, both birch and judge at higher amounts offer's a higher point of draw power synergy off of octillery so your at least abile to draw something then nothing, otherwise shuana for 5, minus 1 for 1 or minus 1 for 2 which offer higher draw power 7-9 or 5-6? I would also consider playing acro bikes for draw power over trainers mail, hand extension could be nice but blacksmith build up is only half as good as using battle compressor, 11 is better then 7 when you want to get to a point where having cards out of your deck is more important then having cards out of your hand. Keep 2 giovanni but don't play it for draw power, there is no need 3 is to many because you'll get them at early point's where you would rather have something else to give you more draw power then giovanni.

1-1 is fine or you could try 1-2, that way you don't have to worry about wasting a card to search the octillery as often, just the remoraid. His major concern isn't winning stadium war it's dealing more dmg. Regice is easily countered by 2 escape rope and 2 lysandre in any deck as a minimum, most meta's don't seem to have as much regice due to a spike in none-EX decks.

Last edited:
First of all, there is another thread (http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/threads/the-blazing-hellhound-m-houndoom-ex-discussion.126551/) in the Deck Strategy Forum you might find interesting and helpful.

Secondly, with only 6 Basic Pokémon, you will have quite a few mulligans per game, thus giving your opponent extra cards early game. The mulligans places you at some disadvantage; so, I'd suggest maximizing your Judge count to help mitigate the risk.

In my testing thus far, Regice provides a "near" (except when they are prized... lol) autowin condition against this deck. So, you may want to consider incorporating a non-EX attacker.

Should either Remoraid or Octillery be prized, you've lost the use of an important deck component for potentially the entire game. I'd suggest having a 2-2 line for more consistency.

Are you finding that only 2 Stadiums are sufficient? I (and many other competitive players I know) run a minimum of 3. Regardless of deck, I also include a Silent Lab - which is HUGE when I can play it t1 and my opponent can't easily replace it. :)
Why run more Judge when you can run red card? It isn't a supporter and you get you opponents hand size down. You could also play battle reporter so you can get more cards if your opponent got a few mulligans.

#ShamelessPlug <3

@awesomeMSG : The reason for the second Judge in this particular deck is because of the fact that you play more than 1 Battle Compressor. If a Judge is prized, you still have the option to pitch the other for VS Seeker plays, which is perfectly fine in a deck that is already pitching Energy anyway (and speaking that you do not ALWAYS need to pitch 3 Energy off of a single Compressor, the options are open). That said, I like Red Card as well because it disrupts your opponent. Still, that is the reason to run an extra Judge if one desires. :)

The reason for the second Judge in this particular deck is because of the fact that you play more than 1 Battle Compressor. If a Judge is prized, you still have the option to pitch the other for VS Seeker plays, which is perfectly fine in a deck that is already pitching Energy anyway (and speaking that you do not ALWAYS need to pitch 3 Energy off of a single Compressor, the options are open). That said, I like Red Card as well because it disrupts your opponent. Still, that is the reason to run an extra Judge if one desires. :)
But the point is I don't think you need judge for there are so many other options than to bring both hand sizes down when you can bring yours up for a supporter or bring your opponents down with an item. I think judge goes better in other decks that you need the same size hand for. EXAMPLE: Glalie-EX and Noivern-BREAK

I think you'd rather eliminate you shauna and 1 giovanni for more birch or judge, think of the trade off this way birch for 4 ultra ball down to 1 draw up to 5 9 cards in 1 turn or 7 cards in one turn, both birch and judge at higher amounts offer's a higher point of draw power synergy off of octillery so your at least abile to draw something then nothing, otherwise shuana for 5, minus 1 for 1 or minus 1 for 2 which offer higher draw power 7-9 or 5-6? I would also consider playing acro bikes for draw power over trainers mail, hand extension could be nice but blacksmith build up is only half as good as using battle compressor, 11 is better then 7 when you want to get to a point where having cards out of your deck is more important then having cards out of your hand. Keep 2 giovanni but don't play it for draw power, there is no need 3 is to many because you'll get them at early point's where you would rather have something else to give you more draw power then giovanni.

1-1 is fine or you could try 1-2, that way you don't have to worry about wasting a card to search the octillery as often, just the remoraid. His major concern isn't winning stadium war it's dealing more dmg. Regice is easily countered by 2 escape rope and 2 lysandre in any deck as a minimum, most meta's don't seem to have as much regice due to a spike in none-EX decks
Why get rid of Shauna? Shauna is almost guaranteed something when if you get tails on birch you don't normally get what you want. Same with judge except now your DEFINITELY getting a not great hand. And Giovanni? You can do more damage so with mega houndoom you can do 180 damage for 2 fire energy which is good. And you can get a good draw. It's like shaymin ,but supporter and 1 less card.

But the point is I don't think you need judge for there are so many other options than to bring both hand sizes down when you can bring yours up for a supporter or bring your opponents down with an item. I think judge goes better in other decks that you need the same size hand for. EXAMPLE: Glalie-EX and Noivern-BREAK
To be perfectly honest, Judge vs Red Card is a preference pick. Sometimes the reset + opposing reset is something people like compared to an Item that is not available via VS Seeker. Some people (such as yourself) feel there is enough extra search for Red Card (I.E. Trainers' Mail) and that it being an Item vs a Supporter is better. I merely answered why someone would potentially play more Judge in a deck specifically like this. Nothing more, nothing less.

To be perfectly honest, Judge vs Red Card is a preference pick. Sometimes the reset + opposing reset is something people like compared to an Item that is not available via VS Seeker. Some people (such as yourself) feel there is enough extra search for Red Card (I.E. Trainers' Mail) and that it being an Item vs a Supporter is better. I merely answered why someone would potentially play more Judge in a deck specifically like this. Nothing more, nothing less.
What I'm thinking is that you could use Battle Reporter to get your hand up then red card them to get their hand down a bit. I've seen it on PTCGO with only one basic pokemon in their deck. Then (after a million clicks) your hand is huge with mulligans. After that they use Battle reporter to get your hand size. Then they red card you and then you have 4 cards while your opponent has a million.

What I'm thinking is that you could use Battle Reporter to get your hand up then red card them to get their hand down a bit. I've seen it on PTCGO with only one basic pokemon in their deck. Then (after a million clicks) your hand is huge with mulligans. After that they use Battle reporter to get your hand size. Then they red card you and then you have 4 cards while your opponent has a million.
That sounds like one of the most interesting and fun ideas I have read/heard in a while. That said, I do not think this is the deck for that kind of strategy. Though, I would love to try it with a single Houndoom EX or even a Glalie EX (I suppose you can simply skip Red Card in this case, however).

As far as the OP's deck is concerned, Entei with the Theta Double Trait could be a magnificent Basic Attacker. It has early Stall/Pressure in the form of Flame Screen and Heat Tackle can OHKO most non-EX Pokemon (period) and Shaymin EX.

Reading the comments I think I am going to try the following (this will be momentary, I wanna include a judge more but still don't have it):

-1 Level Ball
-1 Giovanni
+1 Silent Lab (Definitely think it will be very helpful, considering introducing 1 more)
+1 Lysandre

The mulligan strategy is really fun! I will absolutely try it in another tricky deck.

Thanks everyone for the advice :)

Back