Ruling Lv. X

hrmz

Lose Yourself ...
This may seem like a dumb question, but it's really going to help with my deck construction.

Let's say it's first turn, and you go first, can you evolve your basic to it's Lv X, like make Uxie a Lv x on your first turn. Or lets say you go second, but it's your first turn, can you then?

And one more, can I level up the pokemon the turn i play it onto the bench? The example would be Uxie, and using his power, and then doing level up to use the power again on the same turn.

PokeChamp

Aspiring Trainer
hrmz said:
1.This may seem like a dumb question, but it's really going to help with my deck construction.

2.Let's say it's first turn, and you go first, can you evolve your basic to it's Lv X, like make Uxie a Lv x on your first turn. Or lets say you go second, but it's your first turn, can you then?

3.And one more, can I level up the pokemon the turn I play it onto the bench? The example would be Uxie, and using his power, and then doing level up to use the power again on the same turn.

I have put a number next to each sentence.

1. There are no dumb questions.

2. Well, the term isn't evolving. It's called leveling up. But no, you could not do that. It is a lot like evolution, save a few factors.

3. No, and for two reasons. The first reason, is that you can't evolve a card the turn it comes into play, and this doesn't change for leveling up. Like I said in 2., it is a lot like evolving. The second reason, is because you can't level up from the bench. So, either way, you can't do this.

Taylor45

More Ninetales Than U
For number 3 you could use Level Max from the Platinum set.
If you flip heads it allows you to break the rules so you can level up on the bench the turn it is put there.
But aside from that, everything that PokeChamp told you is 100%.

hrmz

Lose Yourself ...
Hold on, are you saying, you can never level up a pokemon sitting on the bench?

Kronar

Blossoming Faker
Every Lv. X says on the card, "Put this card onto the active..." Active, meaning you can only Level Up normally while it is active.

Taylor45

More Ninetales Than U
Yes of course.
Lv.X cards are the only Pokemon that need to be played as the Active Pokemon.

greeniax

Aspiring Trainer
Also, It is worth mentioning that leveling up a pokemon does not allow you to use any "once during your turn" effects again during the same turn, or any "when you put this card into play" effects.

festizzio

Desu
Just want to correct something I saw PokeChamp post, yes you can Level up a pokemon the turn you play it, but only if it's basic. You can't level up a pokemon you just evolved. I read the ruling for that on the official site.

Kronar

Blossoming Faker
festizzio said:
Just want to correct something I saw PokeChamp post, yes you can Level up a pokemon the turn you play it, but only if it's basic. You can't level up a pokemon you just evolved. I read the ruling for that on the official site.

Uh, mind finding the ruling for us? Because the rule is, and has been, that you cannot normally Level Up a Pokemon on the turn you play it. No exceptions. Level Max breaks this rule, but since the card is telling you to break the rules, you may do what it says.

Taylor45

More Ninetales Than U
Yeah... leveling up, in theory, is like evolving, but totally different.
It is similar in the sense that you must wait one full turn to level up a Pokemon after it has been put into play, regardless of it being a basic or an evolved Pokemon.
But it is different in that it is not called Evolving, and a Lv.X of a Basic Pokemon is still considered a Basic Pokemon. Also, to play a Lv.X card without the use of any Trainers, Supporters, or Special Attacks, the card you level up from must be in the Active slot.
Hopefully that cleared some stuff up.

festizzio

Desu
My mistake, it wasn't on the official site, it was actually on this site. There was a link to the new rules for diamond & pearl, and unless they changed the ruling, then it should be the same. I can't find anything on this anywhere else, however, so I'll post the link to the pdf and you can judge for yourselves.

http://www.pokebeach.com/news/0507/dprules.pdf

It says "A Pokémon LV. X can’t be played on a Pokémon that evolved that turn or on a LV. X already in
play. (For example, if you evolved your Pokémon to Torterra this turn, you could not play
Torterra LV. X on that Pokémon.)"

If it's wrong then I'll stop talking. I'm not trying to be a know-it-all, I just really want to know the right way things work.

Zyflair

Yes, sir. Of course, sir.
Advanced Member
On your link, it says "They are played similarly to an Evolution card but have special rules as well." You can't Level Up a Pokemon that had just went into play because you can't do the same with evolving.

PokeChamp

Aspiring Trainer
festizzio said:
My mistake, it wasn't on the official site, it was actually on this site. There was a link to the new rules for diamond & pearl, and unless they changed the ruling, then it should be the same. I can't find anything on this anywhere else, however, so I'll post the link to the pdf and you can judge for yourselves.

It says "A Pokémon LV. X can’t be played on a Pokémon that evolved that turn or on a LV. X already in
play. (For example, if you evolved your Pokémon to Torterra this turn, you could not play

If it's wrong then I'll stop talking. I'm not trying to be a know-it-all, I just really want to know the right way things work.

The ruling was right here. I think you didn't see it correctly. As I said in my first post, you can't do it.

festizzio

Desu
PokeChamp said:
festizzio said:

The ruling was right here. I think you didn't see it correctly. As I said in my first post, you can't do it.

But it only says on a pokemon that evolved that turn, not on one that was just played. It could be because there were no Lv. X's for any basic pokemon when those rules first came out, but I still think it's too vague.

Also, being played similarly to an evolution card really isn't any proof at all. "Similarly" could mean almost anything.

cless44

Aspiring Trainer
festizzio said:
PokeChamp said:
festizzio said:

But it only says on a pokemon that evolved that turn, not on one that was just played. It could be because there were no Lv. X's for any basic pokemon when those rules first came out, but I still think it's too vague.

Also, being played similarly to an evolution card really isn't any proof at all. "Similarly" could mean almost anything.

Here it is guys directly from the compendium:

Q. I know you can't level up a Pokemon on the same turn as it evolves, but what about leveling up a Basic Pokemon (like Darkrai) on same turn as it is played?
A. No, similar to evolving the Pokemon cannot level up on the same turn it comes into play, nor on your first turn of the game. (Mar 20, 2008 PUI Rules Team)

so no you cannot level up a Pokemon the turn you play it.