• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Luxray/ Seviper (SM 05)

DKQuagmire

Who else but Quagsire?
With the new Luxio card that came out, I have written up a quick deck list/ idea of how the deck should look like. this is my take on the list, and there are other versions of the deck that you can play, if you have a different play style.

4 Shinx (SM 5)
4 Luxio (SM 5)
3 Luxray (SM 5)
2 Luxray Break
2 Tapu Lele GX
3 Seviper (Burning Shadows)
2 Shining Celebi (SM Promo)

4 Professor Sycamore
1 N
3 Cynthia
3 Volkner
1 Bridgette

4 Ultra Ball
4 Poison Barb
4 Max Potion
2 Sea of Nothingness
2 Float Stone
1 Field Blower
1 Super Rod
2 Timer Ball

8 Lightning Energy

Here are the translations of the new cards that are coming out and the deck strategy is at the bottom.
Shinx-SM5-144x200.jpg.pagespeed.ce.KJhnJUk62t.jpg

Shinx – Lightning – HP50
Basic Pokemon

Ability: Runaway Evolution
This Pokemon can evolve the turn it was played if it’s the first turn of the player going second.

[L] Sparking: 10 damage.

Weakness: Fighting (x2)
Resistance: Metal (-20)
Retreat: 1

Luxio
– Lightning – HP80
Stage 1 – Evolves from Shinx

[C] Electromagnetic Barrier: 30 damage. Your opponent can’t play any Item cards from their hand during their next turn.

Retreat: 1

Luxray
– Lightning – HP150
Stage 2 – Evolves from Luxio

Ability: Intimidating Fang
As long as this Pokemon is your Active Pokemon, any damage done to this Pokemon by an opponent’s attack is reduced by 30 (before applying Weakness and Resistance).

[L][L][C] Voltage Arrow: Discard all [L] Energy attached to this Pokemon. This attack does 150 damage to 1 of your opponent’s Pokemon. (Don’t apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokemon.)

Retreat: 0

Volkner
– Trainer
Supporter

Search your deck for an Item card and a [L] Energy, reveal them, and put them into your hand. Then, shuffle your deck.

You may play only 1 Supporter card during your turn (before your attack).

Cynthia
– Trainer
Supporter

Shuffle your hand into your deck. Then, draw 6 cards.

You may play only 1 Supporter card during your turn (before your attack).

The deck Strategy
Shinx can evolve on turn 1 into Luxio, and Luxio can lock the opponent out of playing their item cards. 80 HP isn't much, so lets evolve him into Luxray. But wait! We just lost our item locking attack. Shining Celebi lets us re-use the attacks of previous evolution Pokemon and now we have an item locking Pokemon that takes 30 less damage from attacks. neat.
But 30 damage just isn't enough. we want more damage output. Poison barb makes the opponent poisoned if they decide to attack into Luxray, and if we have several Seviper on the bench then we deal more than 10 poison damage per turn. Now its looking like a threat. The poison will be hard to remove too if Sea of nothingness is in play, as it keeps the status conditions on the Pokemon as they evolve or de-evolve.
The low energy in the deck is complemented by the new Volkner card to quickly search out the lightning energy and grab those item cards like poison barb, and Cynthia is our new shuffle draw supporter, which is better than Shauna. Wally turn 1 is an option after evolving straight into Luxio, and Evo soda is searchable with Volkner. (you can't play Evo soda turn 1 though).
To keep the Pokemon alive as long as possible, we play 4 max potions. Having an attack for only 1 energy means we don't miss out on much, as we discard 1 energy and attach from the hand again.

That's about it really. Hope you like it and post any comments on what you would do to make this deck list better. I know the list doesn't have Guzma, and i really want to add it, but thought the other cards where more important at the time of writing this list. Luxray break is also a consideration at the moment.

Changes made so far:
-1 Evo soda
-1 Lightning energy
-1 Wally
-1 N

+2 Timer Ball
+2 Luxray Break

Last edited:
I like this list!

I think I would drop a lightning energy and evosoda for 2 timer balls. Because Shinx can evolve turn 1, you want to get as many luxio out as possible during your first turn so that you can get multiple turn 2 Luxray. This runs nicely with Volkner as well, dropping a single energy won't do too much to the deck.

Timer Ball sounds like a nice inclusion to the deck. and most decks play around 8 basic energy anyway these days.

I was thinking of dropping a supporter card for the Luxray Break. Maybe 1 N or 1 Sycamore? everything else I kinda want to keep.

so for the list for now:
-1 Evo soda
-1 Lightning energy

+2 Timerball's

Nice list, the only problem I have with this list is that you seem pretty limited with bench space. You seem to be doing more damage with Choice Band (one Seviper ups the poison damage to 20 per turn which can be disrupted by Guzma). So maybe play some Choice Band, but that seems to disrupt your overall strategy. Only actual change I'd make would be:

-1 Evosoda (draw support grabs the evolution)
-1 Wally (same as Evosoda, since it is a one-of supporter)

+2 Luxray Break (increases HP)

I hope this helps, let me know what you think. Thanks!

thanks for your help guys! I have made the decision to drop an N and the Wally in favour of 2 Luxray Break cards.

I still have 4 cards in the deck that shuffle/ draw (1 N and 3 Cynthia), so that should be OK.

-1 N
-1 Wally

+2 Luxray Break

I thought the same about shinx and using poison barb as a better damage output than choice band. I like the list

this deck seem so much better in expanded
-4 poison barb
-2 sea of nothingness
-1 shining celbi
+4 hypnotoxic lasers
+3 virbank city gym

Yes in expanded where items are more heavily relied on this deck would be crucial especially since you wouldnt be locking yourself out of items. Hypnotoxic lasers would be so amazing along with virbank city gym. Maybe a third seviper would help to lay more damage down

Back