Discussion Lunala GX: Let's Discuss

Demosthenes1

Aspiring Trainer
Hello everyone, I have decided to make this thread because atm I am looking to make a competitively viable Lunala GX deck in Standard. I have already created a few successful expanded variants (notably Baby lunala/Lunala GX/NEX gardevoir), but I would like to transfer this success over to standard. I have toyed with a few ideas, but each of them have some issues:

Lunala GX plus baby lunala: costs too much energy to do too little damage (hence gardevoir in expanded)

Lunala GX+Mimikyu GUR: unreliable and opponent-dependent

Lunala GX+ Tapu lele: Not enough lele's IRL!

Lunala GX+ Wobb: partially successful, but still lacking a decent way of doing damage (suggestions are welcome here in particular)

Most of my other ideas have been decent, but actually lack a reason to contain Lunala at all (Espeon GX comes to mind, as the option to move energy is convenient but I found that Espeon alone was much better. This is also true for solgaleo/Lunala; lunala has no real place).

A few Ideas I have not tried yet include:

Lunala GX+Dragonair: yet to test!

Lunala GX+ Espeon EX, hammers, bats?

Lunala GX+ mewtwo EX (shatter shot)

Lunala GX+ Alakazam EX (no mega?)

Any ideas that anyone else may have are greatly appreciated, and I would love to hear some suggestions for how to make Lunala GX and/or baby Lunala competitively viable; Maybe not as a tier 1 deck, but at least as a Tier 2 or even 3.

I am a big fan of Lunala-GX and have been trying to find ways to make it work. It has all the makings of a toolbox deck. You can use Rainbow Energy to pay for all sorts of different attackers, and you can even use Solgaleo-GX to accelerate energy since it's part of the same evolution line as Lunala. The problem is that it gets kinda clunky, and I'd rather save my GX attack for Lunar Fall GX (good for wiping Shaymin, Volcanion, Hoopa, Manaphy, and the occasional Rayquaza, as well as the rare donk potential) .

My current build is a straight Psychic version, using a thick Wobbuffet line, Mimikyu, and baby Lunala. Wobbuffet is really good in the deck as it allows you to lock Abilities as well as put out a one-prize attacker that can clean up after Lunala-GX swings on something. The deck kinda feels like a Psychic version of Metagross; you just shift the Energy around instead of pulling them from the discard pile. It makes you a bit more reliant on Max Elixir to get lots of Energy into play quickly, which is unfortunate since Moongeist Beam and Shatter Shot both cost a ton of Energy to use.

My current build is a straight Psychic version, using a thick Wobbuffet line, Mimikyu, and baby Lunala. Wobbuffet is really good in the deck as it allows you to lock Abilities as well as put out a one-prize attacker that can clean up after Lunala-GX swings on something. The deck kinda feels like a Psychic version of Metagross; you just shift the Energy around instead of pulling them from the discard pile. It makes you a bit more reliant on Max Elixir to get lots of Energy into play quickly, which is unfortunate since Moongeist Beam and Shatter Shot both cost a ton of Energy to use.

Would you say your build has been successful? Consistent? The one thing i worry about is not getting enough psychic energy out for moongeist beam, which can be an issue, but is solved by things such as mew (sm3+) in the future and max elixir now. Do you see dragonair having a place in the list at all?

I've been considering a Lunala-GX build for post rotation but any list I make is clunky. The decks biggest problem I've seen is speed but I feel this wouldn't be a problem post roatation. I'm a fan of moving around Energy cards while using Max Potion but I would use it as a toolbox deck as opposed to just a single type (though you can). It's best friends are anything that scale damage.

What I like it that you can run Solgaleo-GX as well since they are on the same evolution line. I would run something like a 4-3-3-1-2 of Lunala/Sogaleo. That would look like;

4 Cosmog
3 Cosmoem
3 Lunala-GX
1 Lunala
2 Solgaleo-GX
4 Rare Candy
2 Wally

I think this should be considered for just the Lunala-GX line. Wally can do something fun if you wish though I don't think it will be needed in a slow format and Solgaleo-GX would be used purely for the Ability. Normal Lunala would be used for A Ninetales, assuming you have don't have a better breaker.

I've been considering a Lunala-GX build for post rotation but any list I make is clunky. The decks biggest problem I've seen is speed but I feel this wouldn't be a problem post roatation. I'm a fan of moving around Energy cards while using Max Potion but I would use it as a toolbox deck as opposed to just a single type (though you can). It's best friends are anything that scale damage.

What I like it that you can run Solgaleo-GX as well since they are on the same evolution line. I would run something like a 4-3-3-1-2 of Lunala/Sogaleo. That would look like;

4 Cosmog
3 Cosmoem
3 Lunala-GX
1 Lunala
2 Solgaleo-GX
4 Rare Candy
2 Wally

I think this should be considered for just the Lunala-GX line. Wally can do something fun if you wish though I don't think it will be needed in a slow format and Solgaleo-GX would be used purely for the Ability. Normal Lunala would be used for A Ninetales, assuming you have don't have a better breaker.
are you saying against or with alolan ninetails? Also i agree with solgaleo for the ability, but at that point it might be worth considering metal or rainbow energy, for the GX or not.

are you saying against or with alolan ninetails? Also i agree with solgaleo for the ability, but at that point it might be worth considering metal or rainbow energy, for the GX or not.

I would have Rainbow Energy n the deck as well to have access to the GX attack and I would run the non-GX Lunala just to hit the new Alolan Ninetales if you don't have another attacker to do that but I didn't realize Lunala was such a good card on its own.

Here's my current list. Full disclosure, I haven't tested this recently cause I've been having fun with like a zillion other decks.

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 17

* 1 Drampa-GX GRI 115
* 3 Cosmog SUM 64
* 2 Cosmoem SUM 65
* 1 Lunala GRI 61
* 2 Lunala-GX PR-SM SM17
* 1 Mimikyu GRI 58
* 1 Oricorio GRI 56
* 1 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60
* 1 Trubbish BKP 56
* 1 Garbodor GRI 51
* 3 Wobbuffet PHF 36

##Trainer Cards - 33

* 3 Professor Sycamore STS 114
* 2 N PR-BLW BW100
* 4 VS Seeker PHF 109
* 2 Rare Candy SUM 129
* 1 Super Rod NVI 95
* 1 Skyla BCR 134
* 2 Field Blower GRI 125
* 3 Max Elixir BKP 102
* 3 Altar of the Moone GRI 117
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 3 Choice Band GRI 121
* 2 Lysandre FLF 104
* 3 Max Potion BKP 103

##Energy - 10

* 10 Psychic Energy 5

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Drampa-GX is bonkers in this deck. Thanks to Psychic Transfer, you can drop it and attack with it in the same turn. At the time I built this deck I only had one Lele so I'd definitely make room for a second, especially since Energy Drive combos well with Psychic Transfer. I've closed out quite a few games by going out with a big-ass Lele and swinging for huge damage.

Wobbuffet sits up front and stalls while you power up your dudes. Garbodor is probably expendable; I just wanted to throw it in there because it's a cheap attacker that can do ridiculous amounts of damage.

The problem I have with running Lunala as a toolbox is there aren't very many good Pokemon to use, and your Pokemon line ends up getting really clunky.

I'm gonna try and mess with this list some more and I'll post again once I find something I like.

I would have Rainbow Energy n the deck as well to have access to the GX attack and I would run the non-GX Lunala just to hit the new Alolan Ninetales if you don't have another attacker to do that but I didn't realize Lunala was such a good card on its own.
so i assume you see this new alolan ninetails to be a widely played card then? Also, yes i believe baby lunala can hold its own, except that its attack begins to get very expensive once you get in the 160/4 energy range, even with choice band.
Here's my current list. Full disclosure, I haven't tested this recently cause I've been having fun with like a zillion other decks.

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 17

* 1 Drampa-GX GRI 115
* 3 Cosmog SUM 64
* 2 Cosmoem SUM 65
* 1 Lunala GRI 61
* 2 Lunala-GX PR-SM SM17
* 1 Mimikyu GRI 58
* 1 Oricorio GRI 56
* 1 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60
* 1 Trubbish BKP 56
* 1 Garbodor GRI 51
* 3 Wobbuffet PHF 36

##Trainer Cards - 33

* 3 Professor Sycamore STS 114
* 2 N PR-BLW BW100
* 4 VS Seeker PHF 109
* 2 Rare Candy SUM 129
* 1 Super Rod NVI 95
* 1 Skyla BCR 134
* 2 Field Blower GRI 125
* 3 Max Elixir BKP 102
* 3 Altar of the Moone GRI 117
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 3 Choice Band GRI 121
* 2 Lysandre FLF 104
* 3 Max Potion BKP 103

##Energy - 10

* 10 Psychic Energy 5

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Drampa-GX is bonkers in this deck. Thanks to Psychic Transfer, you can drop it and attack with it in the same turn. At the time I built this deck I only had one Lele so I'd definitely make room for a second, especially since Energy Drive combos well with Psychic Transfer. I've closed out quite a few games by going out with a big-ass Lele and swinging for huge damage.

Wobbuffet sits up front and stalls while you power up your dudes. Garbodor is probably expendable; I just wanted to throw it in there because it's a cheap attacker that can do ridiculous amounts of damage.

The problem I have with running Lunala as a toolbox is there aren't very many good Pokemon to use, and your Pokemon line ends up getting really clunky.

I'm gonna try and mess with this list some more and I'll post again once I find something I like.

The list could use some work, and im not quite sure garbodor fits in well, but perhaps espeon GX? i had toyed around with espeon before, but if you were to utilize rainbow energy, even umbreon isnt off the table. The curent list you posted could also use a fourth wobb to help guarantee a lead with it.

A current list ive come up with goes as follows; my only issues lie in how many of lunala GX, baby lunala, and solgaleo GX i should use.
Pokemon(18)
4 cosmog
3 cosmoem
2 lunala GX
2 lunala
1 solgaleo GX
4 wobbuffet
1 mimikyu
2 tapu lele GX
Items (15)
4 ultra ball
2 level ball
4 rare candy
1 escape rope
1 super rod
3 max elixir
Supporters (11)
4 sycamore
2 N
1 kukui
2 guzma
2 wally
Stadiums (3)
3 Altar of the moon
Energy (12)
7 psychic
4 rainbow

Still, any out-of-the-box ideas to work with Lunala are completely welcome.

Hey i have a lunala gx baby deck that relies on max elixir and lunalas second attack actually, the capacity to not lose any energy on a kill is amazing, im having some success but haven't found the perfect list yet, I've tried with espeon and mewtwo and both have its flaws, drampa sounds great! Im actually very mad i haven't thought of it :) i run a 4-1-2gx-3baby line, its weird i know but it works like wonder i often win just by it

Hey i have a lunala gx baby deck that relies on max elixir and lunalas second attack actually, the capacity to not lose any energy on a kill is amazing, im having some success but haven't found the perfect list yet, I've tried with espeon and mewtwo and both have its flaws, drampa sounds great! Im actually very mad i haven't thought of it :) i run a 4-1-2gx-3baby line, its weird i know but it works like wonder i often win just by it

Would you be able to share a decklist?

I love lunala! Mewtwo Ex worked well, allowing for quick chip damage while you build up your lunala lines. Brigette is a must! I think I might test a build with some baby drampa to accelerate energy. I also ran a single Tauros, although drampa gx would work well too. I think mewtwo gx will work, although not having damage swap will be a bummer. I usually tried to reserve lunala' gx for shaymin or big basic ex. Volc players hated it!

Back