Lugia a water type?

scuba steveE

Absolute
Ok this has probably been brought up before, but I guess I sort of missed this, but this has been bugging me for a while. As we all know, Lugia is Psychic/Flying, so that means in the tcg it has been either psychic or colorless. But then came HGSS and Lugia is now being made as a Water type card. The Legend, the promo, the shiny, and the regular holo from CoL are all water types. Why is this?

(Also, just a side note: When I first played Silver, I actually thought Lugia was Water/Flying. It knowing Hydro Pump sort of threw me off. :p)

Maybe they're playing up the angle of Lugia being underwater and controlling the world's currents in the second Pokemon movie, since the Legend card shows it diving underwater. (Don't really remember the intricate details of the movie)

"Disturb not the harmony of Fire, Ice and Lightning. let these titans reak destuction, upon the world in which they clash. though the beast from the deep will araise to quell the fighting, alone it's song will fail, thus the Earth will turn to ash."

or something like that. Wallace III wanted to control Lugia, but in order to do so he had to desrupt the harmony of the legendary birds, and in doing so awakened it. but it's power alone with the 3 power jewels that Ash found on the several islands helped Lugia to overcome the trio, and set everything right.

Jahikoi said:
The point is that, despite not being water type, Lugia has control over the seas.
And thus is Psychic(Psychokinesis)/Flying(Flapping wings to make storms and such) to do so.

wut lugia isn't water type?! but the piece of paper says it is I don't get it.... my other lugia card is water type too im so confused. ahhhh shucks maybe it might maybe possibly be that THIS ISN'T THE VIDEO GAME!

GHJamesGH said:
what lugia isn't water type?! but the piece of paper says it is I don't get it.... my other lugia card is water type too im so confused. ahhhh shucks maybe it might maybe possibly be that THIS ISN'T THE VIDEO GAME!
Look at 99% of all other cards. Those share their card type (or the type represented by it, like Grass and Bug types being represented by simply Grass) with the games. So we're simply trying to figure out why Lugia was a Water type a couple times in the TCG. There's no need to get butthurt/go all "I AM SO SMART U SO STOOPID" over that.

My personal explanation is that some Pokemon would have 3 types instead of 2, but the game developers would have a lot of issues on the mechanics and balance hence they kept it at a maximum of 2 types.

In this case, if Lugia would have a third type in addition to Psychic and Flying, it would be Water. Charizard would also be a Dragon type as well, as would Gyarados.

GHJamesGH said:
what lugia isn't water type?! but the piece of paper says it is I don't get it.... my other lugia card is water type too im so confused. ahhhh shucks maybe it might maybe possibly be that THIS ISN'T THE VIDEO GAME!

This one, this one, this one, this one, this one, this one, this one, this one, this one, this one, this one, and this one. Thats twelve. Compare that to the four water type ones (three if you count that the shiny and non-shiny ones in CoL are the exact same). Thats a 3-4/1 ratio of Psychics and Colorlesses compared to Water.

^you cant count the crystal one...cause it CAN be a water type if it has a water energy on it...

catutie said:
^you cant count the crystal one...cause it CAN be a water type if it has a water energy on it...
That's like saying Charizard is a permanent lighting type if it's crystal. Obviously that doesn't count.

I'm not sure that I'd count the Crystal Pokemon officially typed anymore than Delta Species or Aqua/Magma/Dark Pokemon.

@GHJamesGH No one is saying this is the video game. That's why we have 17 different types of Pokemon (game wise) compressed into 9 types (card wise). However, aside from a Fighting Torkoal that appeared in Pop 1 (remember Torkoal is pure Fire) every other regular Pokemon can pretty much be considered consistently typed except for Lugia post HGSS.

As to why that is, I don't have any better explanation than anyone else. If Lugia is triple typed then why don't we have others like it? Like a Colorless (non Crystal) Charizard or a Colorless Gyarados (to represent Flying and/or Dragon). I suppose it could be a Pokemon 2000 reference but I didn't really notice any other easter eggs in Pokemon CCG.

^ya that is another good point...pokemon card form can be anything why is charizard electric and metal in delta species...well because it can who cares :p

I think it's cuz Lugia can swim, and pretty much lives in the water and rules it. If it lived outside the water, it would destroy everything so yea.

I think it's because ho-oh is fire so ultimately Lugia should be the opposite and should be water, at least in the card game. And plus if my memory serves me well in the game you find lugia in an island water place with whirlpools.

Maybe it's because Ho-Oh is Fire, Celebi is Grass and so Lugia must be water?

Remember the basic energies in HGSS, they got Ho-Oh for Fire and Celebi for Grass, then it would be weird not to have Lugia on the energy card. It could be for Psychic, but then Espeon and Umbreon are not together. So yeah, that's why they put him on the Water card.

It's not like Lugia has never had a Psychic (or Colorless) card, so what's the big deal? As mentioned before, Lugia is a controller of the seas (though not as powerful as Kyogre), so him having a Water-type card is perfectly okay.

This, on the other hand, is not okay.

^ That's not Torkoal's only fighting type card.

The 7th movie deck in Japan saw one as well. If you do any digging (bad pun, haha) into the Pokemon's history and design it's because it literally burns coal, ergo has ties to rock type through some key move sets and even the 'dex entries allude to them digging in mines etc.

Rock = Fighting in TCG and bam there are your two non-fire Torkoals.

HS:
You find abandoned coal mines full of them. They dig tirelessly in search of coal.

R:
Torkoal digs through mountains in search of coal. If it finds some, it fills hollow spaces on its shell with the coal and burns it. If it is attacked, this Pokémon spouts thick black smoke to beat a retreat.

S:
Torkoal generates energy by burning coal. It grows weaker as the fire dies down. When it is preparing for battle, this Pokémon burns more coal.

So if Lugia is able to have water type cards based on it's mythology, then Torkoal is more than covered for his handful of fighting type cards ;)

Back