Discussion Lost Thunder Onward Claydol/Banette GX Deck

MiniMads

The misunderstood Hero of Disasters
You've just read the title and you are questioning why I am doing this, but I can see real synergy between these two cards, so here's the list

Pokémon (13)

2 Shuppet (CLS 63/168)
2 Banette GX (CLS 66/168)
2 Baltoy (CLS 78/168)
2 Claydol (CLS 79/168)
1 Tapu Lele GX (GRI 60/145)
1 Blitzle (LTR)
1 Zebstrika (LTR)
1 Diancie Prism Star (FLI 74/131)
1 Dusk Mane Necrozma (SM-P 107)

Trainers (36)

4 Cynthia (UPR 119/156)
4 Sightseer (LTR)
3 Guzma (BUS 115/147)
4 Steven’s Resolve (CLS 145/168)
1 Acerola (BUS 112/147)
1 Ilima (SUM 121/149)
2 Choice Band (GRI 121/145)
3 Ultra Ball (SLG 68/73)
1 Mysterious Treasure (FLI 113/131)
2 Escape Board (UPR 122/156)
2 Acro Bike (CLS 123/168)
1 Switch (CLS 147/168)
2 Nest Ball (SUM 123/149)
1 Timer Ball (SUM 134/149)
2 Brooklet Hill (GRI 120/145)
3 Shrine of Punishments (CLS 143/168)

Energy (11)

4 Rainbow Energy (CLS 151/168)
3 Double Colorless Energy (SLG 69/73)
4 Basic Fighting Energy

So, here's the explanation. Preferable turn 1 is to start Shuppet or Baltoy and Ultra Ball for Lele (like most decks on turn 1) However instead of searching for Fan Club possibly or Cynthia you search for Steven's Resolve (trust me on this one). You then use Steven's for another 2 Steven's and a Sightseer (Draw until you have 5 cards in hand, before this discard as many cards from your hand as you like). Next turn you use sightseer to discard your two Steven's and then you have 3 in the discard. With Brooklet Hill and Diancie Prism and Claydol you now have Turn 2 140 damage on a 1 prize attacker (you obviously still need energy but that's not too hard) Banette is also there to take advantage of the supporters in the discard, Zebstrika is there to get them there, Diancie for extra damage with Claydol and Dusk Mane for another Non GX attacker. This is a very non-GX Stage 1 deck, so Shrine of Punishments is a given (Banette can move the damage counters it gains with it's ability). Escape board for Banette (free retreat with) and Timer Ball for getting out Banette, Claydol and Zebstrika. 4 LPM for Banette and Dusk Mane and DCE for Claydol. 4 Basic Fighting should be sufficient, given everything else we have in this deck. Ilima is there for extra draw support/hand disruption and Brooklet Hill is there for getting setup. I went on a bit with this deck but I found it to be a such a unique idea I had to explain it in depth. It probably is filled with flaws given it's my first fully original decklist, but I hope you can see where I'm coming from. Enjoy! (This is imported from the Deck Garage)

Last edited:
Big issue is turn 1 doing this and getting a energy out if not then u wont be doing any damage on turn 2 and getting a dce on turn 1 or 2 and fighting opposite. Put it this way. Turn 1 you have 7 cards in hand at most, unless they mulligan. If you get a bolty out or shuppet . You need a way to get a lele out or get a Stevens in hand and a dce or fighting. Best case would be lele in hand 1 dce . That leaves you 5 cards in hand. No draw power either since you want to use stevens. But odds are you wont hit a lele in hand. So you need to ultra ball for it so leaves 3 cards in hand. I just dont see you reliably hitting the cards you want. With 8 basics ull mulligan alot on setup least 1 time a match. 16 supporters id say u get least 3 to 4 in hand maybe 1 energy. There is to many what ifs . Turn 1 in a deck is about setting up the field. I dont see you doing this alot . It be a hit or miss. Its nice ideal for the combo just dont think ull get it alot. Looking through i dont think special energy will benefit you.

I feel like you need more Brooklet Hills than one in order to set up, I'd maybe consider testing 1 or 2 Tate and Liza for its diversity and maybe cut back on switch/escape rope.
Lastly, I know judge/Ilima isn't as good as N, but I think having the opportunity to disrupt your opponents hand size could be good, especially since you have a thin line of Zebstrika that you are relying on for draw support.

For me it takes too much to get this rolling when theres so much insane going on by turn 2. This is the kind of deck that i want to be viable but feel the game is still too fast paced for it to be consistently good. If youre doing damage by T2 you're going to need to pray to the lords below that you draw into a DCE more than anything else. Pulling it off by T3 is fine, but you're facing Malamars, powerd Solgaelos, UNecrozmas etc by this time too with less set up :(

Back