Help Looking to get back into Pokemon Card Collecting/Competitive play

Cobrafilms

Aspiring Trainer
I've played competitive Pokemon for a very long time, but just recently took a break (I played last year). What should I buy to get back into the game (not just competitive play, but also general collecting). I know pretty much nothing about the last three sets. I also don't really have a price range (just looking to buy packs from online/Walmart). If you had to give me a ratio/combination of the three new sets combined to buy, what would it be?

Thanks!

I've played competitive Pokemon for a very long time, but just recently took a break (I played last year). What should I buy to get back into the game (not just competitive play, but also general collecting). I know pretty much nothing about the last three sets. I also don't really have a price range (just looking to buy packs from online/Walmart). If you had to give me a ratio/combination of the three new sets combined to buy, what would it be?

Thanks!

Hey @Cobrafilms!

Welcome back to the Pokémon TCG! Things have changed a good amount since you last played (which I'm assuming was the Turbo Dark, Deciduplume, etc. era), so let me give you a run down of the current format.

The 2017-2018 Season Guide:

1. Speed:
The pace of game is somewhat similar to the way it was when you were playing; aggressive setup and explosive damage are the main themes in some of the most popular decks at the moment (it is a little slower due to the lack of Shaymin EX though). A few other strategies are about slowing your opponent down to your own speed like Garbodor (BKP and GRI) variants. It honestly depends on which deck or playstyle you prefer.

2. Decks: Some of the most popular decks right now include Buzzwole GX variants, Zoroark GX variants, and Malamar variants (and this creates something of a triangle since Zoroark GX is weak to Buzzwole GX, Buzzwole GX is weak to Malamar, and Malamar is (mostly) weak to Zoroark GX). Everything else revolves around these three, so decks like VikaBulu are built to beat as many out of these three as possible, but fall short to other decks outside of the triangle. I can go into detail on how these decks work and what criteria you need when building a deck of your own to handle this format later on if you like.

3. Staples: There are quite a few things you will need to get ahold of, but here is a list of cards you will need to acquire in order to be highly competitive (if your just playing casually, some of these things aren't needed, but which ones for you to get will be up to you. Also, I'm not sure when you stopped playing last year, so I will list everything needed from SUM base and on):

These cards are general staples, there are specific cards needed for specific decks besides the ones mentioned below. If you have a particular deck in mind or your looking for suggestions, feel free to let me know and I'd be happy to help out!)

2-3 Tapu Lele GX (GRI)3-4 Cynthia (ULP)3-4 Guzma (BUS)2-4 Choice Band (BUS)1-2 Rescue Stretcher (GRI)

4. "Best Sets": You mentioned that your looking for around three sets to invest in, and while I would recommend just buying singles, there are a few you would do well to buy. Here is another list of "best sets" to buy from with the best starting at the top and going through the entire SUM sets:

(I'm rating these sets as best cards overall and the ones with more of them, so while Crimson Invasion has one of the most popular cards in it (Buzzwole GX), that is practically the only highly competitive card you will pull from it. Guardians Rising is the one exception to this rule as it includes Tapu Lele GX, which is just as if not more popular then Shaymin EX was in its prime)

1. Guardians Risings
2. Forbidden Light
3. Burning Shadows
4. Ultra Prism
5. Crimson Invasion
6. Sun & Moon Base

(The Shinning Legends set is similar to how Generations was where as you can only acquire packs from that set in boxes. The best card out of the Shinning Legends is Zoroark GX and you would probably be better off just getting four of those instead of opening a bunch of packs).

Conclusion---------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyways, I'm pretty sure I covered most of if not all of the important topics regarding the basics of this format. If you need help with anything else (like decklists, explanations on more advanced format techniques/strategy, etc.), feel free to let me know!

Hope this helps!
~FrostBiter12

Hey @Cobrafilms!

Welcome back to the Pokémon TCG! Things have changed a good amount since you last played (which I'm assuming was the Turbo Dark, Deciduplume, etc. era), so let me give you a run down of the current format.

The 2017-2018 Season Guide:

1. Speed:
The pace of game is somewhat similar to the way it was when you were playing; aggressive setup and explosive damage are the main themes in some of the most popular decks at the moment (it is a little slower due to the lack of Shaymin EX though). A few other strategies are about slowing your opponent down to your own speed like Garbodor (BKP and GRI) variants. It honestly depends on which deck or playstyle you prefer.

2. Decks: Some of the most popular decks right now include Buzzwole GX variants, Zoroark GX variants, and Malamar variants (and this creates something of a triangle since Zoroark GX is weak to Buzzwole GX, Buzzwole GX is weak to Malamar, and Malamar is (mostly) weak to Zoroark GX). Everything else revolves around these three, so decks like VikaBulu are built to beat as many out of these three as possible, but fall short to other decks outside of the triangle. I can go into detail on how these decks work and what criteria you need when building a deck of your own to handle this format later on if you like.

3. Staples: There are quite a few things you will need to get ahold of, but here is a list of cards you will need to acquire in order to be highly competitive (if your just playing casually, some of these things aren't needed, but which ones for you to get will be up to you. Also, I'm not sure when you stopped playing last year, so I will list everything needed from SUM base and on):

These cards are general staples, there are specific cards needed for specific decks besides the ones mentioned below. If you have a particular deck in mind or your looking for suggestions, feel free to let me know and I'd be happy to help out!)

2-3 Tapu Lele GX (GRI)3-4 Cynthia (ULP)3-4 Guzma (BUS)2-4 Choice Band (BUS)1-2 Rescue Stretcher (GRI)

4. "Best Sets": You mentioned that your looking for around three sets to invest in, and while I would recommend just buying singles, there are a few you would do well to buy. Here is another list of "best sets" to buy from with the best starting at the top and going through the entire SUM sets:

(I'm rating these sets as best cards overall and the ones with more of them, so while Crimson Invasion has one of the most popular cards in it (Buzzwole GX), that is practically the only highly competitive card you will pull from it. Guardians Rising is the one exception to this rule as it includes Tapu Lele GX, which is just as if not more popular then Shaymin EX was in its prime)

1. Guardians Risings
2. Forbidden Light
3. Burning Shadows
4. Ultra Prism
5. Crimson Invasion
6. Sun & Moon Base

(The Shinning Legends set is similar to how Generations was where as you can only acquire packs from that set in boxes. The best card out of the Shinning Legends is Zoroark GX and you would probably be better off just getting four of those instead of opening a bunch of packs).

Conclusion---------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyways, I'm pretty sure I covered most of if not all of the important topics regarding the basics of this format. If you need help with anything else (like decklists, explanations on more advanced format techniques/strategy, etc.), feel free to let me know!

Hope this helps!
~FrostBiter12
Thank you so much! I stopped playing around the release of BUS, so I have enough cards from sets before it (I have 4 copies of Lele already, along with some staple trainers like Guzma from the other sets around GRI). I did some research regarding the meta and the decks you mentioned and I have a grasp of it now. Keeping in mind that I collect as well as play, and with the help of your advice, I think I'll buy a playset of Cynthias, then get some packs from Forbidden Light, Ultra Prism, and Crimson Invasion at a ratio of 2:1:1 respectively.

I do have one more question. Could you point me in a direction of a deck (with a standard list) that I could use to get my feet wet in this format with and being competitive?
Thanks for all your help!

Thank you so much! I stopped playing around the release of BUS, so I have enough cards from sets before it (I have 4 copies of Lele already, along with some staple trainers like Guzma from the other sets around GRI). I did some research regarding the meta and the decks you mentioned and I have a grasp of it now. Keeping in mind that I collect as well as play, and with the help of your advice, I think I'll buy a playset of Cynthias, then get some packs from Forbidden Light, Ultra Prism, and Crimson Invasion at a ratio of 2:1:1 respectively.

I do have one more question. Could you point me in a direction of a deck (with a standard list) that I could use to get my feet wet in this format with and being competitive?
Thanks for all your help!

Anytime, always happy to help out! Looks like you have most of what you need already and I think the ratio your going for pack-wise should set you up pretty well! As for a deck suggestion, there are a few you can work with. The most easy to play and be successful with would be Buzzwole GX/Lycanroc GX (and for this reason it isn't my favorite deck, but it is great for beginners and returning players). It is a really powerful and aggressive deck that is hard for your opponent to combat if you get set up.

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 14

* 1 Buzzwole FLI 77
* 3 Buzzwole-GX CIN 57
* 1 Diancie {*} FLI 74
* 2 Rockruff FLI 75
* 2 Lycanroc-GX GRI 74
* 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60
* 2 Remoraid BKT 32
* 1 Octillery BKT 33

##Trainer Cards - 32

* 4 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 3 Guzma BUS 115
* 2 N FCO 105
* 2 Cynthia UPR 119
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 4 Max Elixir BKP 102
* 3 Beast Ring FLI 102
* 1 Super Rod BKT 149
* 3 Choice Band GRI 121
* 3 Float Stone BKT 137
* 3 Brooklet Hill GRI 120

##Energy - 14

* 3 Strong Energy FCO 115
* 10 Fighting Energy 6
* 1 Beast Energy {*} FLI 117

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Other options include VikaBulu and Necrozma GX/Malamar (which are both fairy easy to understand), so I will include a list for both of these below as well. The hardest decks to comprehend (in my opinion), are Zoroark GX variants, the most simple of which would probably be Zoroark GX/Lucario GX. There will be a list for that as well.

##Pokémon - 14

* 1 Oranguru SUM 113
* 4 Grubbin SUM 13
* 3 Tapu Bulu-GX PR-SM SM32
* 3 Vikavolt SUM 52
* 1 Mew FCO 29
* 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60

##Trainer Cards - 35

* 2 Energy Recycler GRI 123
* 1 Float Stone BKT 137
* 1 Lillie UPR 125
* 2 N FCO 105
* 4 Choice Band GRI 121
* 4 Rare Candy SUM 129
* 2 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 1 Super Rod BKT 149
* 1 Heavy Ball BKT 140
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 2 Nest Ball SUM 123
* 1 Brigette BKT 134
* 2 Cynthia UPR 119
* 3 Field Blower GRI 125
* 3 Guzma BUS 115
* 2 Skyla BKT 148

##Energy - 11

* 4 Lightning Energy 4
* 7 Grass Energy 1

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

##Pokémon - 17

* 1 Marshadow-GX PR-SM SM59
* 2 Dawn Wings Necrozma-GX UPR 63
* 1 Espeon-EX BKP 52
* 4 Inkay FLI 50
* 1 Lunala {*} UPR 62
* 2 Necrozma-GX BUS 63
* 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 137
* 4 Malamar FLI 51

##Trainer Cards - 33

* 4 Mysterious Treasure FLI 113
* 1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 1 Lillie UPR 125
* 3 N FCO 105
* 2 Choice Band GRI 121
* 2 Float Stone BKT 137
* 4 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 3 Max Elixir BKP 102
* 3 Guzma BUS 115
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 2 Cynthia UPR 119
* 1 Brigette BKT 134
* 1 Parallel City BKT 145
* 2 Field Blower GRI 125

##Energy - 10

* 10 Psychic Energy XYEnergy 8

Total Cards - 60

##Pokémon - 19

* 2 Zorua PR-SM SM83
* 2 Zorua SLG 52
* 4 Zoroark-GX SLG 53
* 1 Diancie {*} FLI 74
* 4 Riolu UPR 66
* 2 Lucario-GX PR-SM SM100
* 1 Mew-EX LTR 139
* 1 Mewtwo EVO 51
* 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 137

##Trainer Cards - 32

* 1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 2 Acerola BUS 112
* 3 N FCO 105
* 2 Choice Band GRI 121
* 1 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 3 Guzma BUS 115
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 4 Puzzle of Time BKP 109
* 3 Brigette BKT 134
* 2 Evosoda XY 116
* 3 Cynthia UPR 119
* 1 Float Stone BKT 137
* 2 Field Blower GRI 125
* 1 Mallow GRI 127

##Energy - 9

* 4 Strong Energy FFI 104
* 1 Fighting Energy 6
* 4 Double Colorless Energy SUM 136

Total Cards - 60

Anyways, if you need some explanation on how these decks work or if you have any more questions, feel free to let me know!

Hope this helps!
~FrostBiter12

Considering rotation is happening in the next couple of months and BuzzRoc might be the competitive deck hit hardest by rotation, I personally feel Malamar variants should be positioned better than BuzzRoc post rotation. Also, with octillery Zoroark becomes a lot better, but there is a Swampert coming out in the next set that works similarly, except it gives 3 cards, is a stage 2 non-gx, and is getting a theme deck.

Back