Discussion Looking for ideas re: Blaziken GX

Melktor

Aspiring Trainer
My son's favorite pokemon is Blaziken and we've been trying to run a Blaziken GX deck to no real success. He's basically running a Ho Ho GX with a 4-2-4 Torchic to Blaziken line, baby Blaze (DM version), Kiawes, and then standard trainers, item cards, Lele GX, etc.

His most common match ups at the moment are Zoro GX / Macargo, Buzz GX / Lycanroc GX, and Bulu GX / Koko GX. Each one sets up so fast that he gets knocked out before he can attack most of the time. Buzz playing a Lisia will pull a Diance and Beast Energy turn 1 and if going second, an active Torchic that he just Kiawe'd is already dead (not to mention all that energy now in discard). Zorcargo tends to Guzma snipe his deck (like everyone else I guess). Even Bulu - whom I think he should have an advantage on - seems to be more consistent.

Any ideas to improve the deck, particularly vs the fast starters while still focusing on Blaziken?

What i would run is

2-3 Oricorio(Passionate Dance)
3 Blaziken Gx's lines
2 Alolan Marowak(Limbo Limbo) Lines.
2 Oranguru - or 1 Tapu lele Gx if you prefer
1 Victini Prism star

It's a little Excessive however It gives you coverage and a full bench by turn 3 and possible have some evolution lines started. With Alolan Marowak your opponent is going to focus on trying to get rid of that instead of your Torchic's, if he ends up killing your Marowaks then you can Kiawe, and I would only Kiawe when your Blaziken gx is on the bench, Don't Even try to Kiawe with him in active, that way not only will you get more damage for your energies however you can setup for your second attack.

Oricorio Can also Stall your opponent by discarding their energy giving you more time for setup.

Alolan Marowak gives your blaziken 2 energies from your deck.

and Victini gets your energies back while maximizing your damage(End game)

Oranguru can draw you 3 cards(and run Plumeria for More stalling), or if you just want what you want I.E Kiawe in an emergency Tapu Lele GX(you can also add in a super scoop up for some field control/double ability with Tapu lele Gx if you wish) Completely depends on what you want to do.

I would go a little heavier with energy considering lots of them will be in your discard pile and will need to be there in order to get Victini's attack to the highest, also maybe a DCE or 2 Play with it and see what you like

Run your basic Trainers/Item cards - Guzma, Lillie, Cynthia/Rare candy, Enhanced Hammer, (What ever pokeball you use depending on Tapu lele/oranguru - Ultra ball/nest ball) I would run Lysandre's lab /Sky lab that way tool cards or bench damage will not occur.

That's what I would start with, and make changes as I played more with it. It's an Idea.

Edit: I just tried it out and forgot a few things - Cubone is Fighting so running Oranguru with nest balls is a good idea, you can Risk it with Tapu lele but it's not ideal. Oricorio's kindle attack also Discards Special Energy for just 1 fire, so you won't really need as many enhanced hammers, two would be good and I would have 3 Oricorio's as a minimum.

Blaziken's HP is really high although his first attack is only 60 damage, with you running Hammers and Plumeria, stalling him out while you power up it's easier to get him to his main attack. At the same time You can also forget about what I said about only using Kiawe on the bench as your opponent will need another turn in order to get setup for his bigger attacks. Blaziken is tanky and that gives him the advantage. If you wish to you can add a max potion, however it would be a one time thing(Only if your about to die and need 1 prize or enough damage to use Victini to 1 shot a GX)

Last edited:
Normal Blaziken Deck that I'm testing now is

2 Darmanitan Lines (Experimental, Fast Energy Placement)
3 Blaziken lines
2 Oricorio
2 Tapu Lele Gx's

Simple deck that's easy for quick setup, your working Fiery Flint to get energies one of them on your Darmanitan Lines and Place them on your benched Blaziken, while using Oricorio as your Staller.

After that blaziken can take over while being support for other blaziken's on your bench, with Tapu lele Gx this comes in well with Super scoop up to free up space on your bench, as Darmanitan's attack is coin flips and unreliable. It's way faster setup then the GX version and can use Shrine of punishment to it's advantage(if you decide to use Acerola)

Trainer highlights : Super Scoop up, Choice band, Pokemon Catcher, Acerola/Shrine of punishment combo.

your running lower energy as you won't need as much for a proper setup, compared to the Gx equivalent

You can also Add Promo Tapu Lele to move damage counters on your opponents Benched to others for quick kills, you need counter energy to run it though.

Anyways I hope this helps. Good luck

Thanks - we hadn't thought about stall ideas liek Oricorio since we both tend to hate playing against stalling decks. :D We're going to play test these ideas - thanks a for the input!

Back