Art Gallery Light's Designs - Cards, Drawings, and Fakemon

Awww that Kirlia is really nice!

Anyways, for wording, "one" should be "1" on Ralts and "Cards" should be "cards" in regards to the Kirlia and Gardevoir.

I love that Ralts; the references (and even the attack names) are just so perfect. :p

I'm also pretty sure that "the Defending Pokémon" in Charming Talk should instead be "your opponent's Active Pokémon."

As for Encourage, iirc your turn doesn't end when you attack; it's like a fourth step after you attack; so I'm not sure Encourage would actually do anything. I guess the easiest way to make sense of it is like your turn goes in phases––the "Draw Phase," where you draw cards; the "Play Phase," where you play T/S/S, attach Energy, wtv; the "Attack Phase," where you select your attack; and the "End Phase," where you don't really do anything but declare your turn to be over. As such, your turn strictly speaking doesn't end when you attack, it ends after that. So Ralts basically lets you go on to the End Phase, which you would've gotten to do already.

I think what you intended for the attack was to be able to attack again on that turn, so you could just use Raichu LV.X as a reference and say something like this:

"Switch this Pokémon with 1 of your Benched Pokémon. Move all cards attached to this Pokémon to the new Active Pokémon. You may use another attack of this Pokémon afterward."

That wording doesn't let you go back and use more T/S/S or anything, though, so not sure how to fit that in. :/ Hope the rest makes sense, though. :)

I love that Ralts; the references (and even the attack names) are just so perfect. :p

I'm also pretty sure that "the Defending Pokémon" in Charming Talk should instead be "your opponent's Active Pokémon."

As for Encourage, iirc your turn doesn't end when you attack; it's like a fourth step after you attack; so I'm not sure Encourage would actually do anything. I guess the easiest way to make sense of it is like your turn goes in phases––the "Draw Phase," where you draw cards; the "Play Phase," where you play T/S/S, attach Energy, wtv; the "Attack Phase," where you select your attack; and the "End Phase," where you don't really do anything but declare your turn to be over. As such, your turn strictly speaking doesn't end when you attack, it ends after that. So Ralts basically lets you go on to the End Phase, which you would've gotten to do already.

I think what you intended for the attack was to be able to attack again on that turn, so you could just use Raichu LV.X as a reference and say something like this:

"Switch this Pokémon with 1 of your Benched Pokémon. Move all cards attached to this Pokémon to the new Active Pokémon. You may use another attack of this Pokémon afterward."

That wording doesn't let you go back and use more T/S/S or anything, though, so not sure how to fit that in. :/ Hope the rest makes sense, though. :)

Thanks!

I can never tell when it should be "your opponent's active pokemon" over "the defending pokemon"; I understand it had to do with the eras, but it means the same? or is it about who is attacking whom?

I didn't understand much of what you meant with the phases, I must admit; it seems needlessly convoluted; after all, it's simple, you draw, play cards, etcetera and finish with the attack, after which your opponent's turn starts (or, you do whatever needs to be done between turns).
But I do think that the wording "you may use another attack" is much clearer than "your turn doesn't end", especially if the opponent was alert to such technicalities; I'll change it.

I can never tell when it should be "your opponent's active pokemon" over "the defending pokemon"; I understand it had to do with the eras, but it means the same? or is it about who is attacking whom?

My understanding of it is that "Defending Pokémon" refers to the Pokémon receiving all effects of an attack. "Your opponent's Active Pokémon" refers to, well, your opponent's Active Pokémon. A Defending Pokémon, for example, can be on the Bench, but since you can't apply Special Conditions to a Benched Pokémon, they just use "your opponent's Active Pokémon" instead.

Even TPCi can't seem to keep this straight, though––Fighting Stadium (FUF) says "The attacks of each [F] Pokémon in play (both yours and your opponent’s) do 20 more damage to the Defending Pokémon-EX (before applying Weakness and Resistance). By this wording, however, Landorus-EX's Hammerhead would do 50 damage to the Active and and 50 to a Benched, which is frankly ridiculous, for one Energy. Fighting Stadium was soon after errata'd to say "your opponent's Active Pokémon-EX" instead, which was how most people found out about the change in definition of Defending Pokémon.

Delphox doesn't normally look good? ;_;
GNv3YYL.png

Delphox doesn't normally look good? ;_;
GNv3YYL.png

Short answer is no.

Long answer is: the teeth are off-putting (a blemish also shared by my beloved Braixen, I should add), the colors are located in places that don't contribute to an understanding of the body in the human terms it seems to attempt (same issue the "dress" on Mega Gardevoir has, which is solved in her shiny color scheme); to put gardevoir as an example, you can clearly distinguish a white, long skirt with green inner lining, a green cardigan, a pink decoration of some sort in her back and chest, and white skin (legs, neck and face) and green hair; despite the colors being the same in the "organic" parts and the "clothing" parts, you can establish that difference because of form.
Delphox, meanwhile, has bright orange-red on her "hair" alone, and yellow both in her face skin, tail and "vest" (leading up to her neck), and white on her lower jaw and that beard-thing they put on her chest (an actual beard would have been too gender-oriented, especially coming from the feminine exquisiteness of Braixen; it would seem as if two different designers worked on each of them); the shape itself of Delphox's sleeves and skirt are fine, as is the dark red they have; the issue is the chest; it doesn't work like Gardevoir's does, establishing a clear separation between what is "clothing" and what is the pokemon that is supposed to wear it. The only place this happens is on her hair (since the markings on the dress are clearly distinct from it) and her robes (since the color is restricted to clothing).

Some people don't notice these kind of incongruences, and that's fine, but I've been trained for it and I have the instincts for it, so I do; a simple redesign on delphox's chest could help greatly to give the design some clarity, and I hope that happens when she finally gets a mega. There's also that after waiting so long for a true Gardevoir-esque starter, and getting my hopes up with the adorable Fennekin and the feminine Braixen, turning that into some kind of vest-wearing robed wizard has been quite disappointing for me.

I should probably clarify that this is not an issue of "looking human" or "looking animal"; pokemon are more animal-like than us regarding their use of clothing, certainly, but they were still designed conceptually to refer to clothing; so it isn't that "her face fur and her vest can be the same because they're both her fur", it's that the vest was designed as a vest, and the color doesn't go with that; gardevoir proves how you can use color distribution to establish a clear formal separation between what is "organic" and "clothing", even if you're using the same colors; this simply doesn't happen here. Braixen does it very well, for example; despite having both her dress and face yellow and her shoulders and lower jaw white, there is a clear separation between body and head, because the shoulders are distinct enough, formally, that they cause a break in the form.

Last edited:
Well, now that I finished all these cards, there's just a little thing; remember how I said these things tend to escalate? well, that means I might have expanded the set with six more cards.

well_zpsx4hgd59r.gif

But, I don't know well when I'll be able to finish them; I start school this monday and I have another thing that came up; I'd love to do everything I have left here before them, but I'm not sure. Anyway, the updates will come less frequently as they've been coming, especially this last week, but I'm not done with this yet.

Wow, I love the design of those Mega Evolutions! I do have one problem with them, though. They're 200+ HP Pokémon that only give up 1 prize. Yeah, you can only have 1 in your deck, but it could turn games into "tank hits and deal damage with your mega evolution". Especially M Meloetta, who is only a technical stage 1. Even though the Megas themselves are fairly weak, it could be a concern.

I'm all for 6 more cards, though.

Wow, I love the design of those Mega Evolutions! I do have one problem with them, though. They're 200+ HP Pokémon that only give up 1 prize. Yeah, you can only have 1 in your deck, but it could turn games into "tank hits and deal damage with your mega evolution". Especially M Meloetta, who is only a technical stage 1. Even though the Megas themselves are fairly weak, it could be a concern.

I'm all for 6 more cards, though.

Well, the HP was taken from the official megas which, true, are inevitable EX cards. I figured that if I was going to let you have only one of them per deck (and have in mind that the odds of simply getting the card, let alone play it, are more or less "1/60 x 4/59" if you include megastones), you need a good amount of HP; there are many cards in the set that make upwards of 40 damage (and don't forget I might have overpowered a few); in at least four turns, your mega can be gone. I will lower their HP, but I think this is the kind of mechanic that needs testing to know for sure.

Last edited:
I'm still working on the last one, and not doing my homework in the process, but meanwhile, here are some more cards from the expansion:

Eevee

Eeveelution 1

Eeveelution 2

Somehow I kept myself from obsessively making all the eeveelutions, but I do feel only these two deserve to be here. I think the drawing in the first eeveelution is one of the most adorable things I've ever done. In the second I tried, but I'm no Lauren Faust.

Makeover should read:

"Discard a [Y] Energy from this Pokémon. Then, search your deck for a Pokémon Tool card and attach it to 1 of your Pokémon. Shuffle your deck afterwards."

Love the eeeveelutions, though!

And it is over: with Espurr and Meowstic, the collection is complete.

fainting%20exhausted_zps0i6yhmgh.gif

Finally.

Thank you, everyone, for your advice and kind words; I'm really happy you liked the cards; I'd been wanting to make a collection I could call truly mine for the longest time, but I had the time and motivation only a few months ago. It might be a little overpowered, but at least it's fashionably overpowered, which is all I wanted to do.

Oh, one last thing; do you think it would be better if I put all the images in the OP as attachment thumbnails instead of spoilers? it makes navigating them so much easier.
EDIT: Never mind, it only lets me attach ten files per post. Oh, well, it looks like you're stuck with the spoilered images.

Last edited:
I'm incredibly busy with school now, but I just finished my presentation and since I had this marvellous idea right after, I simply couldn't not do it. So here's another promo card.
I tried to do something new with this one; full arts aren't really my thing, but I love this picture, and it fits a full art so much better than the regular frame.

I think I'll continue adding anything I can think of as promos, if it fits Luminous Dreams, and whenever I get the time to do them.

Last edited:
Back