• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Lightning Strikes!

seth falls

Aspiring Trainer
Here's the list I'm working with:

Pokémon-12
4 Zapdos (Ev 42)
2 Magnemite (BkT 51)
1 Magneton (BkT 53)
2 Magnezone (BkT 54)
2 Shaymin Ex (RS 106)
1 Raikou (BkT 55)

Trainers-38
2 Faded Town
4 Professor Sycamore
3 N
2 Fisherman
1 Lysandre
1 Teammates
4 Ultra Ball
4 Trainer's Mail
4 Vs Seeker
4 Fighting Fury Belt
2 Super Rod
2 Professor's Letter
2 Rare Candy
1 Float Stone
1 Switch
(Empty space/Not sure what I have here)

Energy-10
10 Lightning energy

Strategy:

So basically, the strategy is pretty simple. I set up Magnezone on the bench on T2 or T3. Then, I use his ability to accelerate energies onto Zapdos.
upload_2017-1-11_15-20-13.jpeg

With a FFB attatched, Zapdos will OHKO most basic EX Pokémon. For Megas, I have the Faded town, which causes them to be Ko'd coming back into my turn, assuming they have 210hp. Then, on the next turn, I use
Fisherman to retrieve all the energy back and repeat the process.

The problems:

I basically take an autoloss to Garb. Since I have to recover my energy each turn using Fisherman, It's really hard to Lysandre the Garb up and KO it if he sets it up the turn after I attack. In fact, I'll give an example battle that I had the other day on PTCGO:

I was playing the list above (not sure what that empty spot is) and my opponent was playing M Mewtwo, so immediately I knew I was facing Garb. I win the coin flip and set up pretty well. I start Zapdos with a Magnemite on the bench, and by the end of the turn, I have Magnezone in my hand and rare candy.
During my oppenent's turn, he starts Trubbish, so I'm hoping I can KO it before he sets up. However, he goes off, (as to be expected from M Mewtwo), and he's playing the one from the new set with the "Energy Absorption" attack. He attatches a float stone from his hand to the active Trubish. He sets up his Hoopa, getting 2 Mewtwo, and 1 Shaymin Ex.... so on and so forth.... he ends his turn by attaching a DCE and a spirit link from hand and then using energy absorption. (Mewtwo has 3 energy now)

I'm not really worried at the start of T2. I evolve into Magnezone and I'm able to completely charge up my active Zapdos, and get another one on the bench. I didn't have Lysandre yet, because I only play one copy, plus I had already played my supporter for the turn. I hit the FFB and attach it to my active Zapdos and take the knockout on the active Mewtwo. :) I take my two prizes and draw into a Fisherman.

Ok, so here's where I get nervous, because I know that if he gets the Garb out, I won't be able to keep up the attacks. I assume he has it in his hand, because he sends out his second Mewtwo. He must not be worried about getting OHKO'd right? Well, he draws, puts another Mewtwo down on the bench, attaches DCE to said Mewtwo, plays professor sycamore, plays spirit link, and then... (drum roll with fingers crossed) passes. I was amazed! He didn't hit the Garb, and I can take two easy prizes again on my turn. XD

T3 comes, and I do my thing and take the knockout. Before I declare my attack, I even managed to get down a Faded town, attach a second energy to my benched Zapdos, and attach an FFB. So even if M Mewtwo comes up, as long as he doesn't get the Garb, I can win. I'm lower on prizes (my remaining 2 to their remaining 6) But alas, when my opponent starts their turn, they send out Mewtwo EX w/spirit link attached. They draw and then they send the little smiley face emote (yeah, you know the one lol) then they evolve into Garb, evolve into M Mewtwo, and I cry a little on the inside. They knock out my remaining Pokémon and win the game. (I tried to stall and give them my Shaymin EX, but they got Lysandre every turn and kept OHKOing my Zapdos) I was sad.

So anyway, what should I do? Should I focus on having more Raikou in the deck, that way I'm not constantly losing all my energy and can use other supporters besides Fisherman? Or, should I focus on having more ways to draw out the Garb like by putting in some Pokémon catchers or something like that? Let me know your opinion. Other than the Garb matchup, the deck runs pretty well. I normally get Magnezone up by T3.

Just thinking about decks, if you played 1 ratata, you could get around fighting fury belted ex pokemon.

Back