BW/BW2 Light-Type, Why or Why Not?

If they add a new type we wouldn't be able to trade to past generations, and we already know there is a special event if you trade one of the shiny dogs to black or white from HG or SS

Flygon Rider 1600 said:
If they add a new type we wouldn't be able to trade to past generations, and we already know there is a special event if you trade one of the shiny dogs to black or white from HG or SS
you wont be able to trade TO 4th gn games but u can make 4th gen COME to 5th gen

scuba stevee said:
*does comical spit take* Yeah people who think that are just in denial.

I actually want a light type or really any new type to be introduce in pokemon, so I can see everyone squirm. >)

Please don't take things out of context, you ignored the second part of that statement. Assuming Dragon and Steel are the dominant forces in the metagame, how could a new Light-Type provide thematically appropriate balance to it?

I'm surprised that overwhelmingly the response has been "no," I actually liked the idea of a Light-Type.

My opinion is that it could be useful. I'm not certain any current Pokémon need to be converted to Light, but then there were only four fully-evolved Steel-Types in G/S and only one of them existed in R/B/Y. As for the thematic arguments, this is my take:

The Fighting-Type in no way implies honor, it's simply a high-risk, high reward style of fighting hoping to overwhelm your opponent with power before they can exploit the weaknesses in the style. Close Combat. Submission. Dynamic Punch. Focus Punch. Submission. And so on. In fact, many Fighting-Types learn Dark-Type moves as well. Fighting = honor is a stretch at best.

There is no reason a "Light" type couldn't be a "Good" type in Japan. Light has the same connections to Good that Dark does to Evil, it doesn't have to represent natural light any more than Dark represents natural darkness.

How would it fit into the type chart? I'm not certain. I had been toying with the idea of SE against Dark, Steel; NVE against Grass; weak to Dark, Poison; resistant to Fire, Electricity, Dragon. Dragon is kind of a random inclusion there for balancing reasons, but so was Steel's resistance to Psychic - in game you already have Kadabra and Alakazam who can easily manipulate metal and the power-up item for Psychic attacks is a Twisted Spoon.

Just my thoughts.

If Zekrom is in fact Electric-Type, however, I will admit that a Light-Type seems extremely unlikely.

I think that it isn't nessesary for a light type. If it did, what types would it be weak against? Fighting type pokemon are more like "light" types.

The last two posts are hilarious contrasts.

That having said, I agree with most everything said by Sevus. A lot of people not seem to want to have light type because they don't want to learn new type chart or complain "it makes things too complicated". That is lazyness.

(Also, I am not insulting those people who do not want light for other legitimate reason)

I am going to add onto sevus and say that the dragon and steel types especially dragon are way too powerful so maybe they could add 2 NEW TYPES such as light and cosmic/space too make th type chart balanced

K, I want light types but here's why it would not happen:

*Adding a new type requires creativity and work... AND WE ALL KNOW THAT CAN'T HAPPEN ANYMORE
*We would want a light-type and those geniuses decided that we don't know what we want
*Light-type could offset the natural balance of pokemon
*We know that the white legendary who's name I just forgot (was that Zekrom) is probably an electric type. If he's not a light type, nothing will be
*We can't have moral battles between Light and Dark type. That would be way too thought provoking and interesting

And also, the whole Fighting VS Dark thing, come on guys. Fighters are supposed to be honorable and respectful. In most cases, fighting pokemon represent some form of a sport (karate, boxing, etc). Fighters in real life can use sneaky moves (dark type moves). I.e. sucker punch is a popular move that fighting type pokemon can learn. I mean really... if chuck norris wanted to, he could do a sucker punch too. He chooses not to. IMO fighting types do = honorable. They can turn dark though ;P

This is mostly wishful thinking but, remember we do not for sure know that the legends will be dragon type. We know they will be dragon pokemon but not dragon types. There is no disputing that gyarados is a dragon but his type is water and flying. It is possible that these are the same way. Zekrom could still possibly be dark and electric.

Flygon Rider 1600 said:

You could trade between 2nd and 1st gen games and there were new types in those. Why wouldn't you be able to trade between 4th and 5th gen games? It'll be just like the 2nd gen games where you can't trade any new Pokemon because time machines don't like them. :]

hatedisc said:
This is mostly wishful thinking but, remember we do not for sure know that the legends will be dragon type. We know they will be dragon pokemon but not dragon types. There is no disputing that gyarados is a dragon but his type is water and flying. It is possible that these are the same way. Zekrom could still possibly be dark and electric.
No it's already confirmed they'll be both (part) Dragon type.

For only one reason am I against this. That reason is "Espeon."

Espeon not only represents the sun, but it's listed in the Pokedex as the "Sun Pokemon." If the light type existed, thise would clearly be a Light-type. However, due to its name containing "ESP" (extrasensory perception), a "psychic" ability, the only way they could get away with making Espeon a Light type would be by making it a dual-type Pokemon (Psychic/Light). However, all of Eevee's evolutions are a single type, so this would throw things waaay off. If they added the Light type and simply left Espeon alone, it wouldn't make much sence either.

If it wasn't for that factor, I would be completely fine with the Light type. Several past-generation Pokemon would have to be retyped (like Sunflora, Chansey line, etc.), but it wouldn't be the first time (Magnemite & Magneton had a secondary type added in Generation 2). However, I suppose it is a little late in the ball game to add more types.

I really don't get where you guys got the ridiculous idea that Fighting is the opposite of Dark. That makes no sense to me. Normal is pretty much the same as "Light" type, and covers anything that could be "Light" type. From what everyone is saying, Dark pokemon use "sneaky and underhanded" tactics, but that doesn't make them bad pokemon. And fighting types aren't always nice pokemon. Pokemon don't really have benevolent or malevolent natures. "Good" pokemon are usually just pokemon that are protective of humans so humans see them as benevolent, ie. Gardevoir and Togekiss. "Bad" pokemon like Darkrai and Gyarados are either misunderstood or corrupted by bad people.

Light type should not exist becuase:
1. I think it is too late in the game series to introduce a new type after 500 other pokemon have already been denied the Light type
2. as far as we know, Zekrom is not Dark type! Zekrom will probably be Electric!!!
3. there is no need for types to balance out. Let's face it - some types are just better than others!!!
4. Light type is overrated and it's been done by so many other game series, ie. Yu-Gi-Oh
5. Arceus is not Light type
6. There is no such thing as good and bad pokemon, so there is would be no meaning behind Light type

swimfastray said:
I really don't get where you guys got the ridiculous idea that Fighting is the opposite of Dark. That makes no sense to me. Normal is pretty much the same as "Light" type, and covers anything that could be "Light" type. From what everyone is saying, Dark pokemon use "sneaky and underhanded" tactics, but that doesn't make them bad pokemon. And fighting types aren't always nice pokemon. Pokemon don't really have benevolent or malevolent natures. "Good" pokemon are usually just pokemon that are protective of humans so humans see them as benevolent, ie. Gardevoir and Togekiss. "Bad" pokemon like Darkrai and Gyarados are either misunderstood or corrupted by bad people.

1. I think it is too late in the game series to introduce a new type after 500 other pokemon have already been denied the Light type
2. as far as we know, Zekrom is not Dark type! Zekrom will probably be Electric!!!
3. there is no need for types to balance out. Let's face it - some types are just better than others!!!
4. Light type is overrated and it's been done by so many other game series, ie. Yu-Gi-Oh
6. There is no such thing as good and bad pokemon, so there is would be no meaning behind Light type
a perfect example of someone who looks at the bad side of speculation

Pokequaza said:
Dark and Steel weren't only included to stop the Psychics from being overpowered, but actually, they did add something to the game. What type would Murkow have been without Dark? What type would Registeel have been without Steel?

A light type wouldn't add much either. We have seen that the Light type can be covered by several other types including Psychic, Normal and maybe even Electric, Fire or Grass. There are loads of possibilities to cover a possible Light type with other types. Not even to mention that introducing a new type this late in the game would be very complicated and unlikely. Imagine how the Light typed Pokemon would be far less in number than any other type. (As you can see Steel and Dark still aren't very big in number of Pokemon, and they were introduced in the 2nd gen, introducing a new type in the 5th gen would create even bigger gaps)

Also, I do not see the link between Gardevoir and the Light type.

Pokemon will last for a very long time.
People will become bored of the old types.
The choices are to let some Pokemon have three types, or add a new type every so often.

swimfastray said:

1. The current types will get boring after a while. Pokemon will last a long time, so new types need to be introduced.
4. Only one. That's so many.
5. And that is revelant, how? Arceus, being a god Pokemon is all types. If a Light type is introduced, a Light plate would be introduced. Meaning than Arceus can be a Light type.
6. Light wouldn't mean that it's a good Pokemon. It would mean that the attacks of it would probably lock steal-like moves/grow strength in sunLight.

No, you get bored after a while. Apparently the majority of us aren't bored yet of the existing types.

Also, he used Yu-Gi-Oh as an example. There are alot more games/cardgames which use the Light type. Read better next time.

Pokequaza said:
No, you get bored after a while. Apparently the majority of us aren't bored yet of the existing types.

Also, he used Yu-Gi-Oh as an example. There are alot more games/cardgames which use the Light type. Read better next time.

I meant that people in the future would get bored.
I'm not completely bored by the current types, but I would like the addition of a new one.

He could have at least given two examples.
Yu-Gi-Oh! is the only card game I know that uses the Light Type.

Back