• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Lapras-GX Ideas

Deingel

Aspiring Trainer
I saw Andrew Mahone play Lapras on Youtube and I was interested since I had Lapras-es just wasting away.

11 Pokemon
  • 3 Lapras-GX SM 35
  • 2 Manaphy-EX BKP 32
  • 1 Oranguru SM 113
  • 1 Wishiwashi SM 44
  • 1 Espeon-EX BKT 52
  • 1 Tapu Fini-GX BUS 39
  • 2 Tapu Lele-GX GUR 60
12 Supporters
  • 4 Prof. Sycamore XY 122
  • 3 N FAC 102
  • 3 Guzma BUS 115
  • 2 Lillie SM 122
22 Items
  • 4 Ultra Ball SM 135
  • 4 Aqua Patch GUR 119
  • 4 Max Elixir BKP 102
  • 4 Choice Band GUR 121
  • 3 Field Blower GUR 125
  • 2 Nest Ball SM 123
  • 1 Rescue Stretcher GUR 135
4 Stadiums
  • 4 Po Town BUS 121
11 Energy
  • 11 Water Energy

Lapras GX is the main attacker. I'm running only 3 because your opponent only needs to KO 3 of them anyways to win the game. I might drop something to add in another Lapras, but 3 has been working just fine.
Biggest issue with Lapras is that (s)he maxes out on 190 Damage, so Po Town is there to help the numbers vs Stage 1s and Stage 2s.

Manaphy-EX is to make sure you are able to switch around Lapras-GX so you can continuously attack.

I'm running a 1-of Wishiwashi, because despite everything they say about Lapras being able to easily amass Energy on the board, there are some scenarios where you are only able to get 1 Lapras ready to attack with. Wishiwashi is there to help you stream attackers while setting up a second Lapras if need be.

Tapu Fini GX is for her GX attack on Kiawe'd Pokemon or super buffed up Gardevoirs, and snipe attack if need be; Espeon-GX is to help stall out Stage 2s that your opponent Rare Candy'd or to ensure KO's on Pokemon Lapras was unable to.

Oranguru is Oranguru, he draws cards; it also helps that he is a non-GX attacker that can KO a Baby Alolan Ninetails.

3 Field Blower so Garbodor doesn't screw you over with Ability Lock (though he still probably will).

So yeah, any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

I played Lapras a few time before burning shadows quite successfully. I really want it to work again but I feel it's got a lot against it eg Golisopod for weakness, guzma to switch out of paralysis.

Maybe go down the lines of a disruption deck with crushing hammers and the new plumeria supporter!
Espeon ex is a good idea. 4 po town maybe too many. Make space for more other trainers.

Other than that ive seen Lapras played as a tech in alolan ninetails gx deck.

Yeah Lapras took a big hit with Golisopod rising in popularity - the Bulu match-up is somewhat managable because you can OHKO it back - not so much with Golisopod. (Altough until Forest was around Vespiquen was about an equally bad match-up for the deck.) Plus ability lock also really hurts the deck - no convenient free retreat anymore to reset Blizzard Burn. I still play it from time to time with Brooklet Hill, Patches, Elixirs, Energy Switches and Octillery but this Po Town/Espeon EX build seems like an interesting idea - I'm just not sure that without Brooklet Hill I'd be able to stream my attackers and techs quickly enough. Still, I might try to build something myself based on this list as I like the idea.

I played Lapras a few time before burning shadows quite successfully. I really want it to work again but I feel it's got a lot against it eg Golisopod for weakness, guzma to switch out of paralysis.

Maybe go down the lines of a disruption deck with crushing hammers and the new plumeria supporter!
Espeon ex is a good idea. 4 po town maybe too many. Make space for more other trainers.

Other than that ive seen Lapras played as a tech in alolan ninetails gx deck.
Yeah Lapras took a big hit with Golisopod rising in popularity - the Bulu match-up is somewhat managable because you can OHKO it back - not so much with Golisopod. (Altough until Forest was around Vespiquen was about an equally bad match-up for the deck.) Plus ability lock also really hurts the deck - no convenient free retreat anymore to reset Blizzard Burn. I still play it from time to time with Brooklet Hill, Patches, Elixirs, Energy Switches and Octillery but this Po Town/Espeon EX build seems like an interesting idea - I'm just not sure that without Brooklet Hill I'd be able to stream my attackers and techs quickly enough. Still, I might try to build something myself based on this list as I like the idea.

I have no problems having a 1 deck Auto loss considering most of the top decks in the meta have them (Garde vs Metagross, Metagross vs Volcanion). I'll just hope that I dodge Golisopod and/or that people are hesitant on bringing Golisopod because of the recent success of Volcanion Variants.

I am thinking of maybe trying out -1 Lillie and -1 Po Town for 2 Enhanced Hammers, just to try and help with the Garde match up

I want to also make space for an Energy Switch or 2, but it seems like a waste.

I run a Lapras waterbox with some success at league cups first place finish once and a couple top 4. As for my Pokemon lineup I have it a little different at the moment.
3-lapras GX
1-Wishi-washi
1-Manaphy EX(dropped this to one and never had very few problems)
1- Tupu Fini GX
2-2 Octillery (been debating ons witching to ORanguru. Octillery is too clutch.)
1-Shining Volcanion(experiment at the moment.)
1- Tapu LeleGX(one is suffice with all the draw power in theis deck IMO)
as for the supporters/items I have just about the same thing.
I did drop my Sycamore count to 3 and my N count got increased to 4 but it's a preference thing for me. Also I run two Brooklet Hill and two Po Town. I prefer Kukui over Lillie but again it's just a preference. I believe a 12 count of energy is the way to go. Not sure about Nest ball never tried them with ultra ball but I feel like you get a lot of cards with deck and finding what you need shouldn't be a problem.

I have no problems having a 1 deck Auto loss considering most of the top decks in the meta have them (Garde vs Metagross, Metagross vs Volcanion). I'll just hope that I dodge Golisopod and/or that people are hesitant on bringing Golisopod because of the recent success of Volcanion Variants.

I am thinking of maybe trying out -1 Lillie and -1 Po Town for 2 Enhanced Hammers, just to try and help with the Garde match up

I want to also make space for an Energy Switch or 2, but it seems like a waste.
Actually energy switch is very useful

Here's the one I've been using:

Pokémon - 12

1 Oricorio (obvious NM/Vespiquen counter tech)
1 Tapu Lele-GX
1 Keldeo-EX
3 Lapras-GX
2 Manaphy-EX
2 Remoraid
2 Octillery

Trainer Cards - 37

1 Computer Search
4 Aqua Patch
2 Brooklet Hill
3 N
2 Battle Compressor
2 Field Blower
2 Guzma
3 Professor Juniper
3 Max Elixir (4 would probably be better but I'm not sure what to take out for it so take your pick)
1 Hex Maniac
3 Choice Band
1 Pokémon Ranger (in case Keldeo or Manaphy goes down, and also to counter Jolteon EX)
4 Ultra Ball
2 Dive Ball
4 VS Seeker

Energy - 11

11 Water Energy

On another note I think Lapras might be able to make a comeback in Standard with Silvally GX - no more Guzma bait Manaphy EX, plus it can provide additional energy acceleration. If a Fire Memory ever gets printed it'll be a great counter against Golisopod GX as well. (And I'm still hoping for a Steel memory too...)

Last edited:
Back