Kyurem combo ideas?

RunningWithScizors

Aspiring Trainer
34-kyurem.jpg

Now, I've been raving about this fellow since the spoilers for Red Collection came out. It reminds me of my old friend from a few years ago, T-tar from Stormfront:

30-tyranitar.jpg

However, Kyurem is the better Pokemon by far, and for at least 3 reasons:

1. Kyurem is a Basic as opposed to a Stage 2 for T-tar, which means you can have him in play at the start of the game;
2. Kyurem has far better energy acceleration support in the form of 'Gatr Prime's and Floatzel's PokePowers, whereas T-tar only had his PokeBody and Weavile SW's Shadow Charge attack, which were much slower;
3. It usually took 3-4 turns to rev up T-tar's Spinning Tail. With the right starting hand, you can have Kyurem up and using Glaciate as early as T2.

So you can see why I'm excited about this card. However, I'm trying to figure out what might be the best combo for him. Besides 'Gatr and Floatzel, what other cards might work in a Kyurem deck?

Kyurem will not make it as a deck, too slow, probably inconsistent too because you have to play so many energy, and it is easy to Catcher kill Totodiles. It will make it as a beautiful tech in a lot of meta decks however, such as Donphan Dragons, because it hit Reshiram and Donphan for weakness. Any deck that is playing DCE can carry a Kyurem, and it is going to be hard for a lot of deck to play around. The only counter I can see for a Outrage Kyurem is Steelix Prime, simply because Energy Stream. Kyurem is an excellent card, and I can't wait for it to get released.

How about Kyurem+Floatzel+Shaymin? It'd be a pretty fast deck, hitting for 30 spread T2. It'd also be interesting to try it with Vileplume to stop Catcher and healing- although it would give up considerable speed to do so. I'm going to at least try it.

Scizorliscious said:
How about Kyurem+Floatzel+Shaymin? It'd be a pretty fast deck, hitting for 30 spread T2. It'd also be interesting to try it with Vileplume to stop Catcher and healing- although it would give up considerable speed to do so. I'm going to at least try it.

I've played around with that deck a bit, but so far I haven't been able to make it very consistent.

Run Kyurem with Feraligatr Prime and Vileplume with a Twins engine. That way
they can't Catcher your Gatr Prime or your Kyurem while it's benched. The only cards I see stopping Kyurem from being played is Cobalion from the same set but then again Steel won't get played as much due to the popularity of Reshiphlosion and even If this deck kills Fire decks then Steel decks have a chance of making a comeback such as Steelix Prime or Klinklang. Even If they do run TyRam against you, KGL or SEL isn't a bad choice to run with Kyurem either.

I think this would be a great addition to blastoise decks because sometimes blastoise cant 0HKO stuff so i think this will give it that extra boost and with KGL as well it will be a deck not to be messed with.

I think everyone is forgetting something about KGL.

It is a terrible, good for nothing card, that you will never set up, and is two shotted by everything in the meta, excluding Zekrom and Magnezone, which get an easy OHKO. It is also worth noting that there is no guarantee for it to do any damage. Asides from all of that, it is a legend which needs a stage 2 to set up, has a three retreat cost, and gives your opponent two prizes when it is knocked out. Yeah no thanks...

I don't know why I put that in a spoiler. The best way to play Kyurem as spread (lol) is with Feraligatr, and maybe Golduck and Delibird. Delibird for draw, Golduck as a back up attacker that can pull off large OHKOs.

Why Golduck though? Aren't you better off with Beartic since you can Rain Dance energies onto it besides Kyurem for the Sheer Cold attack? With Delibird you're drawing at the very least 3 cards per turn with Snowy Present, Manaphy is probably the better choice since you can shuffle your hand in for a new one.

I'd definitely like to see a Kyurem/Feraligatr/Vileplume deck, but the speed is the main issue. Spread is simply powerful in this format, especially under a Trainer lock. Your opponent can't Max Potion any important Pokemon, and most Pokemon die to 30 damage in three or four turns as well. With Serperior showing only as 1-0-1 line or 1-1-1 line in very few decks, and since Reuniclus variants can't consistently heal off 180 damage each turn, healing off the damage isn't easy.

Of course, as I expressed earlier, speed is an issue. A big one. This deck essentially falls in the same boat as Vileplume/Reuniclus builds, where you're really fighting the time limit as well. Spread also can't score some fast KO's either.

However, Card Slinger J, I'd like to remind you that even though Feraligatr is Catcher bait, it hasn't stopped people from running Reshiboar (although Reshiboar does get a Ninetales/RDl/Bad Boar option.)

I came up with a deck that could work rather well Feraligatr Prime/Kyurem/Kyogre EX. Plus there's something that Feraligatr can do that most decks can't (Excluding Emboar Ability), which is being able to attach as many energy as you want. With each of the cards having High HP (140/130/170) as well as 3 different weaknesses, that makes cards like Max Potion and Fisherman staples in this deck.

KyuKyo (Freezing Waters)

Vulpix Yolk said:
I think everyone is forgetting something about KGL.

It is a terrible, good for nothing card, that you will never set up, and is two shotted by everything in the meta, excluding Zekrom and Magnezone, which get an easy OHKO. It is also worth noting that there is no guarantee for it to do any damage. Asides from all of that, it is a legend which needs a stage 2 to set up, has a three retreat cost, and gives your opponent two prizes when it is knocked out. Yeah no thanks...

I play KGL in my Blastoise deck and it has won me many many prizes and games.However he is a heavy tech and I think that if you wanted a lighter version of him you could run DCL.His Moon's invite attack could for a single rainbow energy finish a game right then and there.

Gliscor said:

However, Card Slinger J, I'd like to remind you that even though Feraligatr is Catcher bait, it hasn't stopped people from running Reshiboar (although Reshiboar does get a Ninetales/RDl/Bad Boar option.)

Point taken, for the same reason people still play Donphan Prime despite it's heavy retreat cost plus Fighting Tag with Machamp Prime gets helps switch Donphan easily without retreating by discarding attached energies or using Switch.

I was wondering would Kyurem with just Feraligatr Prime be alright or does it need to run Vileplume to avoid getting their stuff Catchered? Without Plume I can see it being an amazing Aggro deck with Max Potion, Revive, and Energy Retrieval/Fisherman to keep bench spreading like crazy.

I would rather run Feraligatr Prime/Kyurem with Vileplume to keep my Feraligatr Primes from being Catchered up.

I wouldn't be too worried about getting a 'Gatr Prime Catchered up, since it's a good attacker in its own right, especially after a Glaciate or two.

Maybe a Shaymin tech would be a good idea?

^^ The point of a catcher is usually to ko it. They also might affect it with a special condition.

Donphan and dragons is going to be amazing with a water type dragon. You'll have type coverage on almost every top deck. The only weakness you won't have is psychic.

I'm still debating on which is better with MewPluff, Tornadus or Kyurem. I like
Tornadus better since it's great at transferring energies with it's attack while Kyurem seems a bit reliant on DCE for Outrage unless you run it in it's own deck namely with Gatr Prime and KGL.

Back