Discussion Kiawe... When and How...

Dennis

Aspiring Trainer
How many do people usually run ?
I am currently running 3 in my Volcanion/ HoOh/ Sallazle GX. Have been very successful.
If you cannot play one first turn, when do you deem fit ?

Discuss....

Well despite being expensive, if you want to kiawe on your first turn, play at least 1 lele. I mean it just gives it to you, you can search it with ultra ball and all that good stuff. It is expensive for sure but it will help out so many decks and especially on these turn 1 supporters I think lele is pretty much a must.
Otherwise I mean kiawe is really only effective on turn one, or whenever your opponent is so stuck they literally can't do anything. though I deem those chances low. also if you run lele you can get away with 2 maybe even 1 kiawe.

I run 3 in my Ho-Oh/Volcanion/Salazzle deck as well. While you do want to use Kiawe your first turn, I have used it later in some games. There's not really a defined turn you should use it, it really just depends what you have in your hand, what your opponent has on the field, etc.

You reeeeeally want to get it out turn one. If you can't it's a dead card most of the time. I play a kiawe outside of t1 maybe once in twenty games, and that's only if my opponents board state allows it and I'm really desperate.

I agree . Turn 1 or turn 2 max. After that it's a strategic maneuver. Later it becomes Space Beacon fodder.

To me it seems like an awkward card to try and use mid to late game, due to the fact you're using that instead of using a steamed up power heater.

If you don't do it T1 you probably shouldn't do it at all. Otherwise your going to be too far behind. Speaking from expierence here, it's almost never a good idea to Kiawe any turn besides T1. You can play it on other turns, but that's normally a last-resort and normally not the best idea.

Playing Kiawe is normally something you would want to do on Turn 0 or during a dead turn you can't do anything on. Any time beyond your first turn, and you're often going to be giving up a lot of tempo (momentum), and that's especially bad if you're going against Leles and Gardevoirs. I wouldn't run any more than 2 unless I was using a budget deck with no Leles.

I run two. I tested with three and I always felt like I was holding one in my hand right after I used another. Great turn one card or for mid-game, but having to use more than one or two per-game--I think--hurts more than helps.

I always play 2. It's too big of a play to risk it being prized but there's no point in running 4 of them because it's a dead card on any other turn.

You're more likely to run into an ultra ball or lele t1, between those and running 2 kiawe you've got 8-10 cards that will get you the t1 kiawe which is pretty reasonable.

Back