News Kartana GX and Regice from SM4 Revealed!

Kartana+Hoopa Shining legends. Hit and run, promote hoopa then prevent ex's and gx's from taking any prizes.

If only Regigigas had an ability like this:

Regi Power - If Regirock, Regice, and Registeel are in play, ignore all energy in the attack cost of this Pokemon's attacks.

I like that but too overpowered and it would be too easy to get into play. Remember that the next Regigigas has 180hp and does 160 damage. If it did heavy damage itself say like 60 and it's attack did something less like 80-100 then it would be more balanced.

Last edited:
Between Registeel, Silvally GX and Max Elixir there is sufficient energy acceleration in this deck. Also factor in Double Colorless Energy as a means to fuel Silvally GX and later on Regigigas and the fact that the deck has a lot of one-prize attackers.

Yeah you are right. I was thinking about the deck all being Regi and maybe some other non EX/GX pokemon to move things around. Every time new cards come out (although I don't collect them all) I always think about if a deck can be made with no EX/GX and still be competitive. Obviously not because each year the winner of TCG has EX/GX in their deck If I'm correct.

Probably not. There's pretty much definitely going to be a regirock, but we kind of have all the GX's accounted for.

Aesthetically, I usually hate Full art GX's, but I'm excited for FA Kartana. I feel like it will probably look pretty good.

Kartana GX is pretty solid. I'm not sure where they're going with the rEgis though.

It seems like they're just trying to make the individual regis decent attackers, so you can focus on getting 3 on the bench for Gigas, then run whatever energy you need to utilize whichever of the regis you want.

Steel gives you a bit of acceleration, ice counters stage 2's, rock will do something, and gigas will break things.

You'd still probably be better off just using Kiawe and Garbotoxin, though.

Last edited:
Kaftans looks awesome. Disappointed with 70 damage but everything else is great, ability, and gx attack plus the fact it can be powered up to three energy and then shuffle back to deck is a good counter vs Gardevoir. Turn one attach energy and take prize. Turn two dce and back to deck.

Very excited regice has good ability. I loved playing AOR resistance blizzard, now there is another playable regice (although need regirock as well).

I wonder if we will get a beast turn like card the allows you to pick up It's without a flip would be annoying for any deck using special energy and also very pretty logical looking at the other UB's they have low energy first attacks and on play abilities

Kaftans looks awesome. Disappointed with 70 damage but everything else is great, ability, and gx attack plus the fact it can be powered up to three energy and then shuffle back to deck is a good counter vs Gardevoir. Turn one attach energy and take prize. Turn two dce and back to deck.

Very excited regice has good ability. I loved playing AOR resistance blizzard, now there is another playable regice (although need regirock as well).

Don't forget Dhelmise +10 and choice band +30= 40 +70= 110 x2 (weakness) 220, just one more Dhelmise and its an OHKO. paired with Metagross + choice band 150+30=180 + 70= 250, 2 hit KO on anything.

Kartana GX is pretty strong- maybe a tech in Metagross decks? The ability is great disruption, the first attack is interesting least, and the GX attack is good for 1 energy on a basic pokemon.
Regice is not too bad either, it has a very good ability as long as Regirock is in play. I could totally envision a fun Regi deck in the future.

Well looks like our regis are coming together.

You need 2 steel energy on registeel to use its second attack, but you only need 1 water energy on regice here, so that seems like a manageable split of water/steel energy. Now it just comes down to regirock's attack type.

I can't see the regi deck being amazing, but it looks like it'll have enough of an edge to really fudge with people.

Kartana is a tech card. It's a horrible card to build a deck around, but you're not really supposed to going by the ability and the effect of its attack.

Will probably be good in whatever ultra beast archetype we end up with.
Bro what about kartana in an accelgor type of deck with burning shadows vileplume and wobb

You'd be better off just using Umbreon GX's strafe if you're going to go that route. Umbreon has the potential to turn up your aggression if you need to put pressure on your opponent, and it can attack every turn without needing multiple attachments each time, unlike kartana.

Kartana's GX attack is kind of interesting in a format where there's lots of opportunity to KO evolving 1-prize Pokemon. I still think I like Guzzlord's take +2 prizes and Nihilago's +2 to your opponents remaining prizes better though.

You can't do that unless you already have 2 or 3 metagross out. If you already have 2 or 3 metagross out, why would you attach to kartana, hit for 70, and lose discard pile access to 3 energies when you could, instead, send out a metagross, attack for 150, still have the energies, and still have a 250HP metagross in the active?

Maybe not hit for 70, but keep Kartana benched until the 1-prize mark, then send it out, Geotech, and use the GX move to take the last prize and win. Outside of that, use ability as often as possible, but leave the attacking duties to Metagross-GX...

I personally feel like Kartana's GX attack is a bit of a cop out. It could have been something fun and interesting. Not simply taking a prize card. Of course, it is likely to be a popular tech in varying decks, because obviously, players want to win, and a free prize card for one energy is fantastic. But I just can't help but feel heavily disappointed by it. :(

Kartana kind of bugs me a bit. I don't think cards cards like this should easily interact with a win condition like that and for a single Energy too. It should have cost like three energy to use.

Back