Kaijudo

EmmetCHH22

Aspiring Trainer
I figured we could use a kaijudo thread. I just got into this game and I love it. I might be going to one of the next big kaijudo events in may through june held in new york (It is big like a states or reigionals) and try to get an invite to seattle (where there is like a Kaijudo worlds).

So tell me what you guys think of this game

Card Slinger J

Aspiring Trainer
It's pretty fun, there's alot more diversity in deck design than there is in Cardfight!! Vanguard plus most competitive decks in Kaijudo I think usually cost around $100 or less compared to Vanguard where it's about $200-300 tops. Every Civilization "sort of" has their own staple cards as they're not around the $15-20 price range but it really depends on the demand for the card itself online. I've seen Crystal Memory go for about $20 on eBay one time but I think it was mainly because there wasn't much of a market for Kaijudo cards at the time, with Organized Play and maybe 10+ expansions down the line getting online singles for Kaijudo should be much easier to get ahold of.

There's alot more skill than luck in Kaijudo compared to Vanguard, while Vanguard is very reliant on Drive Check/Damage Triggers to win, the luck factor in Kaijudo really resides around the Shield Blasts to where If you break a specific shield it could set you in a very bad position or If it's not a Shield Blast you could very well be close to winning the game depending on the number of Shields you break that aren't Shield Blasts. Of course there's also the luck of the draw as in any TCG/CCG, but in Kaijudo you might get screwed over by being forced to put a winning card in your Mana Zone If you run out of other copies If they're in your Graveyard or in your Shield Zone.

One of the things I like about Kaijudo compared to many other TCG's I've played for nearly a decade is that there's literally no consequence of getting a bad opening hand at the start of the game because of the fact that any card in your deck can be played as mana kind of like in World of Warcraft TCG and Vs. System where you can play any card as a resource to pay the cost of your cards. Plus whenever your Opponent breaks one or more of your Shields it might actually help you in the long run to make a comeback for a late game win. Kind of the opposite of drawing cards while attacking in Vanguard where you get to "draw" when being attacked in Kaijudo which is interesting.

Kaijudo's Tournament Structure is better than Vanguard's IMO, Kaijudo is Best 2 out of 3 Swiss where Vanguard is Best of 1 Double Elimination which is okay but not that great. There's also great prize support where players who enter Kaijudo League get Promo cards and try to unlock Achievements similiar to Battlegrounds in World of Warcraft TCG. For the big prize Tournaments for Kaijudo I believe the winner gets an awesome playmat with a picture of Bronze-Arm Sabertooth on a plaque including other stuff. The next expansion for Kaijudo is supposed to premiere Dual Civilization cards and Wizards has recently spoiled some previews for it online.

As for popular decks in Kaijudo right now, Aggro decks with the Fire Civilization are pretty good as well as Dragon decks with Andromeda of the Citadel which is casted easier through the Fire Birds from the Dragonstrike Infernus expansion. One of my friends is running a Light/Darkness/Water Andromeda deck for Kaijudo Regionals or Nationals and from what I've heard the deck runs pretty good. I've been hearing rumors from my friends that Leviathans are supposed to be getting more support in future sets with a reprint of a Leviathian from Duel Masters that makes all your Creatures in the Battle Zone unblockable and the creature itself also has Double Breaker. As for the deck I'm running in Kaijudo it's a Beast Kin/Cyber Lord Nature/Water deck which I tied for 1st place in a small tournament with. I'm currently working on my own Andromeda deck that's Light/Fire/Nature.

In terms of power creep, Kaijudo hardly has any compared to Vanguard which already has a Restricted/Limited List similiar in some ways to Yu-Gi-Oh! but it's quite different however the Restricted List for Vanguard doesn't effect the English Format as of yet. The only kind of power creep I've witnessed lately in Kaijudo is Andromeda of the Citadel with Lux mid to late game cause not only do you get 2 additional Shields to add to your Shield Zone but when Andromeda enters the Battle Zone and your opponent tries to banish your Andromeda with something like Terror Pit or Death Smoke then that spell is redirected towards Lux instead, also If your opponent attacks you with Andromeda out they have to choose one of their untapped creatures to become tapped until their next untap phase so If they're forced to tap out their blockers on their own turn that leaves you with hitting their Shields with no problems.

masterryanx

N
Why must people continually compare Kaijudo and Vanguard? It wasn't even instigated by the OP. They're both great games with their own merits, that's really all there is to it.

I've been playing Kaijudo since launch and played DM in English before that. The game's a lot of fun, I'd highly recommend anyone on the fence about playing to give it a try.

Card Slinger J

Aspiring Trainer
You got a point however it's up to people to decide If they want to stick to one of the TCG's or play both like what I've been doing since last year. Best bet would be to play both Kaijudo and Vanguard to see which TCG fits one's own playstyle. But you're right, they're both great games with their own merits. If there's one thing that's sort of making me lose interest in Vanguard it's the Anime/Manga series itself which is just a terrible infomercial where as Kaijudo doesn't need a TV series to be popular when it's got the game mechanics of MTG and nostalgia of DM on it's side.

Out of my experience playing both TCG's, I'd say Vanguard is about 80% luck and 20% skill. With Kaijudo it's about 50/50 give or take, but who am I to judge. You can't judge a book by it's cover or in this case a TCG's but you get where I'm going with this, I encourage people to try both to see what they think. As for what TCG's are played in my locals it's mostly MTG, Pokemon, Kaijudo, a little bit of Vanguard, and some Yu-Gi-Oh! here and there.

Since both Kaijudo and Vanguard were released simultaneously in North America last year, it was kind of difficult for me to give a detailed discription of one without comparing to the other. I've been playing TCG's for nearly a decade and still going hence the origin of my username Card Slinger J. When I compare TCG's I try not to "bash" them but it also depends on my experience with those card games as well. Nothing personal.

I remember when I used to play DM when it was out and I still have my Nature Civilization Cap that I got somehow, I also have an empty booster box of the Evo-Crushinators of Doom expansion completely covered in dust that I haven't touched in years until just recently, also went through some of my old DM cards and it brought back some good memories with my friends too. I remember back then I was about to retire from Yu-Gi-Oh! and I was still playing MTG back then and still do to this day.

masterryanx

N
I play both games as well. I wasn't calling you out for bashing or anything, I just thought the instant comparison was unnecessary.

Lately I've been getting pretty sick of the uncalled for mud that each game's playerbase has been slinging at the other. Mainly from the Pojo crowd.

Card Slinger J

Aspiring Trainer
I hear ya, that's part of the reason why I don't post on the Pojo forums that much these days unless If I want to post something about MTG or Pokemon. A few months ago on Pojo I kind of got caught in the crossfire of that "mud-slinging" between the two TCG's including posting sensitive topics about Vanguard at the time which I got in deep trouble for.

I tried to apologize for it to the people I may have angered but it seems like they might not have forgiven me about it. Oh well, what are you gonna do you can't please anyone right? I've even gotten in trouble with PMJ here on these forums a couple of times. Sometimes you got to move on with life and not worry about it by not letting the troubles of the Internet get you down, although I do tend to be a worry wart every now and then.

Afro-G

League of Legends: GabTheLacMan
Hey umm, guis. Would you mind if we like, talked about Kaijudo instead of Vanguard from now on? I'd appreciate it quite a bit. :>

I started playing this game about 2 months ago and I absolutely love it. It's the only TCG I've gotten into conpetitively besides Pokemon so it's definitely a new experience in comparison. I'm a huge fan of the control based decks that are viable currently and I think that's partially due to me never having a big chance to play a deck in another card game with a similar style.

I'm not real familiar with names if people have come up with those for decks but most recently I played a WDL Andromeda variant which was working quite nicely. Andormeda, Lyra, and Lux make for an insane core concept for any Light deck, lol. The other deck I was able to try out was a more hand control based, so WND using Nature to ramp up to 8 mana within the first 5-6 turns of the game then casting Skullshatter to send your opponent into topdeck mode. There's a whole lot of other fun/neat tricks in the deck but that's the core strategy early game.

Kind of feel like a scrub the way I just talked about everything, then again, I probably am, but I hope majority of you are familiar enough with the cards to know what I'm talking about.

EmmetCHH22 said:
I might be going to one of the next big kaijudo events in may through june held in new york.

So tell me what you guys think of this game
Not sure of exact location but I might be going to one in New York on the 18th. Is that where you're headed?

Trainerhan1

Chooses to not abandon his wagon.
Isn't the current Kaijudo the same as Duel Masters that was around years ago?

EmmetCHH22

Aspiring Trainer
Yah Afro probably. That deck is pretty good too. I use a deck based around gilaflame that friend gives me

Trainerhan1 said:

Yes it is kind of like the English version but better

masterryanx

N
Trainerhan1 said:

Yes, it's a reboot of Duel Masters for the international market. The game engine and rules are exactly the same except for two minor differences.

Card Slinger J

Aspiring Trainer
I've been hearing that Kaijudo is starting to get a huge following in Europe not just in North America, but If were also talking about in Asia then they already have Duel Masters which is pretty much the same TCG anyway, except that they're much farther ahead in expansions than Kaijudo is.

masterryanx

N
Card Slinger J said:
I've been hearing that Kaijudo is starting to get a huge following in Europe not just in North America, but If were also talking about in Asia then they already have Duel Masters which is pretty much the same TCG anyway, except that they're much farther ahead in expansions than Kaijudo is.

It's getting some attention in Europe, yes. I don't know about a huge following though, not yet anyway. The game still hasn't officially launched in Europe, anybody playing over there has been importing the North American product. It looks like France in particular will be getting the TV show soon, with the TCG following shortly after.

Wizards has stated that they have no plans to launch the game in Japan or any other territories where Duel Masters is still alive and well. There'd really be no point. That hasn't stopped Tatsurion from making a cameo in DM, though!

masterryanx

N
Yes. I'll be at the event in Bakersfield, CA on Saturday and will most likely attend the other KMC in California next month as well.

Card Slinger J

Aspiring Trainer
masterryanx said:
Card Slinger J said:

It's getting some attention in Europe, yes. I don't know about a huge following though, not yet anyway. The game still hasn't officially launched in Europe, anybody playing over there has been importing the North American product. It looks like France in particular will be getting the TV show soon, with the TCG following shortly after.

Wizards has stated that they have no plans to launch the game in Japan or any other territories where Duel Masters is still alive and well. There'd really be no point. That hasn't stopped Tatsurion from making a cameo in DM, though!

That's cool, I know Yu-Gi-Oh! and Pokemon are still pretty big in the U.K., not sure about MTG or any other TCG's over there. Speaking of TCG's in the U.K. I've always wanted to play the Doctor Who TCG just cause I've been a huge fan of the series since the 10th Doctor with David Tennant and thought why not give it a whirl ya know? I love playing TCG/CCG's that have been discontinued including TCG/CCG's that are still in circulation.

Card Slinger J

Aspiring Trainer
I'm currently running a build in Kaijudo very similar to EarthP0w3R's Fire/Nature/Water deck that he took to a KMC but instead of running Barrage's I'm running Tendril Grasp's instead. Anyone care to tweak my deck with some feedback feel free:

Creatures (28)

3 Weaponized Razorcat
3 Cyber Lord Corile
3 Aqua Seneschal
3 Gilaflame the Assaulter
3 Rusalka, Aqua Chaser
3 Tatsurion the Champion
3 General Skycrusher
3 Bolt-Tail Dragon
2 Blade-Rush Wyvern
2 General Finbarr

Spells (12)