Just Returned To The TCG - Explanations Inside & Assistance Needed!

Mizuku Kagirinai

~ Keyblade Master ~
Okay so, just recently, I've just got back into this TCG. I used to collect the cards from the Base Sets, Fossil, Jungle etc. and didn't really get any Neo Genesis/Johto Cards, which I then left out and ended up buying a few RSE packs etc. but that was it. I've periodically purchased packs and decks etc. and never really ever played it, and never really understood the rotation in sets etc.

Basically, I got back into it recently with a Shaymin Lv X Tin, Garchomp Lv X Tin, Milotic Structure Deck, Gallade Structure Deck and a Shaymin Structure, and with the release of HGSS, I've gone mad with the new cards and stuff and have bought a Typhlosion Structure Deck and some HGSS Packs.

So basically, I'm looking for some help with a deck I want to make - Fire and Electric, which is basically what the deck comes with. I pulled an Ampharos and an Ampharos Prime in my packs too, and I was wondering if anyone had any decklists or helpful comments handy as to what I should be running to at least be mildy competitive. XD

I'm also looking for a decklist for a deck which uses Shaymin and Shaymin Lv X - even if it's teched into a Fire/Electric deck. I'm not going to be playing mass tournies, just against my friend and MAYBE the local if I enter. I have no clue about the current Meta as I've been playing YGO for all these years and haven't changed. Additionally, what are the staples nowadays? All I can remember from back in the day is Bill, which I have the reprint of now anyways as a Supporter.

And finally, I'm thinking of purchasing one of the 09 Championship decks and taking it apart to create my own deck (in sleeves, obviously, due to their different backing), and I can't choose between the Stallgon one or the Crowned Tiger one. Both are equally awesome, but I simply cannot choose. I'm only playing with a friend, and maybe at a local, which I heard allows Japanese and Championship Deck cards anyways. Any ideas which to choose? Which is better?

Sorry about the wall of text! And thanks in advance,

~ Mizu

That's not really specific help. That only somewhat answers a small portion of my questions and doesn't concern the Championship decks, nor does it concern a base decklist for a Typhlosion/Ampharos deck.

Thanks for the link anyways, I'll give it a read.

Don't waste money on the Championship decks. You're better off getting the decklists from those online and learning to play them through the Redshark program you can get here on the site.

As far as building a deck, start reading the posts in the "fix my deck" forum and you'll start getting an idea of how the game works nowadays. It's significantly changed and not changed all at the same time (I stopped playing around the same time as you).

As far as Shaymin Lv. X goes, both versions don't affect anything but Grass pokemon, so don't bother sliding it into a Fire/Electric deck. If you need healing, you're much better off with Nidoqueen from Rising Rivals.

pvtGramps said:
Don't waste money on the Championship decks. You're better off getting the decklists from those online and learning to play them through the Redshark program you can get here on the site.

As far as building a deck, start reading the posts in the "fix my deck" forum and you'll start getting an idea of how the game works nowadays. It's significantly changed and not changed all at the same time (I stopped playing around the same time as you).

As far as Shaymin Lv. X goes, both versions don't affect anything but Grass pokemon, so don't bother sliding it into a Fire/Electric deck. If you need healing, you're much better off with Nidoqueen from Rising Rivals.

Well I was mainly getting a Championship Deck because I wanted it for the staples etc.

As I said, I use Card Sleeves so the backs are no problem, and I'm only playing against a friend who uses a mish-mash deck of Feraligatr, Darkrai and Psychic/Water. My current mish-mash deck of the Ember Spark with edits such as Ampharos Prime has gone 2-2 to his deck, and we're really looking for a cheap way to get some staples/good cards without paying a lot.

Additionally, my local allows the Champ Decks too iirc, so all is well.

I've been looking at both carefully and have started to formulate ways to edit both, but the Crowned Tiger deck is very hard to edit. The Flygon Deck is however chock-full of staples and allows me to go ahead and create a good few deck ideas.

The leftover cards will simply be for my collection, and I've always wanted a Dialga/Palkia card etc. So I really can't choose. xD

Mizuku Kagirinai said:
Well I was mainly getting a Championship Deck because I wanted it for the staples etc.

As I said, I use Card Sleeves so the backs are no problem, and I'm only playing against a friend who uses a mish-mash deck of Feraligatr, Darkrai and Psychic/Water. My current mish-mash deck of the Ember Spark with edits such as Ampharos Prime has gone 2-2 to his deck, and we're really looking for a cheap way to get some staples/good cards without paying a lot.

Additionally, my local allows the Champ Decks too iirc, so all is well.

I've been looking at both carefully and have started to formulate ways to edit both, but the Crowned Tiger deck is very hard to edit. The Flygon Deck is however chock-full of staples and allows me to go ahead and create a good few deck ideas.

The leftover cards will simply be for my collection, and I've always wanted a Dialga/Palkia card etc. So I really can't choose. xD

Cards from champion decks aren't legal to use at official tournaments.
So you will need to get your staples elsewhere.
Good luck with this game ;)

You aren't getting staples or collection cards, because world championship cards aren't real. Collecting them would be useless.

red blastoise said:
Cards from champion decks aren't legal to use at official tournaments.
So you will need to get your staples elsewhere.
Good luck with this game ;)

Heh, I definately won't be going to anything Official. My local isn't official anyways, it's more of a group get-together.

I concentrate more on purchasing Yugioh anyways, so finding cheap cards used in the Meta is somewhat easier than going through lots of packs for them. I'll probably eventually replace them all with their respective legit counterparts, but I do want a lot of the cards in both the Crowned Tiger deck and Stallgon deck because I've simply always wanted them in one way or another. xD

Basically, I really can't choose which is better.

GHJamesGH said:
You aren't getting staples or collection cards, because world championship cards aren't real. Collecting them would be useless.

Then what about the Claydols, Uxies etc.?

From what I've read, I'm sure they're staples in most good decks.

They are staples, but Pokemon has become a really competitive game. We mean you won't be obtaining copies legal for play in OP tournaments, meaning you'd have to waste time essentially collecting the cards twice. Trust us when we say it's easier (And in the end, more worth it) to just obtain normal-backed copies of the cards rather than buying the World Championship cards.

pvtGramps said:
They are staples, but Pokemon has become a really competitive game. We mean you won't be obtaining copies legal for play in OP tournaments, meaning you'd have to waste time essentially collecting the cards twice. Trust us when we say it's easier (And in the end, more worth it) to just obtain normal-backed copies of the cards rather than buying the World Championship cards.

Well, I'll probably end up looking for the real ones then, but if we completely disregard that single drawback, which would be the better deck out of the two? I mean, in terms of which I should 'attempt' to collect etc.

Stallgon or Crowned Tiger... Hmm.

Additionally, the main problem is that there is no Official Events from where I live. England has very little in terms of tournament support, according to the site, which is the same as Yugioh really. The closest 'Official' tournament is 5 hours away from me, and with me being the age that I am, I cannot even drive yet, and it just really isn't worth the investment in travelling so far for a tournament of a card game I merely collect because I like the artwork and decided to play along a little with a friend. It also turned out that my local cancelled their Pokemon Tournaments - I checked a few moments ago. All they do now is MTG and Yugioh. x_x''

As mentioned before, I'd shy away from the Championship decks IF you are to play in anything official. If it's just you and a couple of friends, get whatever cards you want.

A lot of the decks use speed to their advantage now (something way different from back in the day). Trainers that allow you to seach through your deck are huge, as are any trainers that let you draw. Faster you can get through your deck with what you need, the better you have a chance to win.

Quick question since I saw you are from England, have you ever played Football Champions...or do you know anywhere that would still sell the game?

I would also recommend you stay away from the world championship decks. Its like buying fake yugioh cards...You wouldnt do it. If you check on the pokemon website, you can find your local league. There you will have the opportunity to trade and even obtain usuable staples by playing each other.

COYS said:
As mentioned before, I'd shy away from the Championship decks IF you are to play in anything official. If it's just you and a couple of friends, get whatever cards you want.

A lot of the decks use speed to their advantage now (something way different from back in the day). Trainers that allow you to seach through your deck are huge, as are any trainers that let you draw. Faster you can get through your deck with what you need, the better you have a chance to win.

Quick question since I saw you are from England, have you ever played Football Champions...or do you know anywhere that would still sell the game?

Nope, I've never heard of that card game. Never really been a fan of Football so...

Hmm. I still can't choose between the two. I've been watching videos on Youtube of people opening both decks, and both have a lot of cards I want.

kashmaster said:
I would also recommend you stay away from the world championship decks. Its like buying fake yugioh cards...You wouldnt do it. If you check on the pokemon website, you can find your local league. There you will have the opportunity to trade and even obtain usuable staples by playing each other.

Checked. As I said, my nearest league is 4 hours away, and the rest are over 6/7 hours away.

I also buy Fake Yugioh Cards. Mainly for fun and if I think they're humourous/decent, so that doesn't matter. Though my investigations into fake cards are irrelevant here.

~Basically, Instead of trying to stop me purchasing one, why not simply tell me which is better? ^^'' I'm definitely going to get one, I just can't choose which.~

Mizuku Kagirinai said:
Nope, I've never heard of that card game. Never really been a fan of Football so...

Hmm. I still can't choose between the two. I've been watching videos on Youtube of people opening both decks, and both have a lot of cards I want.

kashmaster said:

Checked. As I said, my nearest league is 4 hours away, and the rest are over 6/7 hours away.

I also buy Fake Yugioh Cards. Mainly for fun and if I think they're humourous/decent, so that doesn't matter. Though my investigations into fake cards are irrelevant here.

~Basically, Instead of trying to stop me purchasing one, why not simply tell me which is better? ^^'' I'm definitely going to get one, I just can't choose which.~

Get Steven Silversto's Raybees deck, it owns

If you're just gonna goof off with a friend and still primarily play Yu-Gi-Oh, then just buy a World Championship deck and exhume some Supporters or whatever from it. (I would get Stallgon, since I don't like SPs).

That being said, what is it that draws you to the game after 10 or so years? You already have Yu-Gi-Oh, and you bought a bit much for it to be simple nostalgia (unless your purchases were over the course of a couple weeks or months or something). If you really want to get back in the game, you can buy staples online - you can get Claydols and Uxies for dirt cheap on eBay, and Supporters tend to sell for little as well.

By the way, the Structure decks suck. It's not like YGO where structure decks are at least somewhat usable. On the bright side, they're nice for exhuming Energies and certain Supporters.

airconditioning said:
If you're just gonna goof off with a friend and still primarily play Yu-Gi-Oh, then just buy a World Championship deck and exhume some Supporters or whatever from it. (I would get Stallgon, since I don't like SPs).

That being said, what is it that draws you to the game after 10 or so years? You already have Yu-Gi-Oh, and you bought a bit much for it to be simple nostalgia (unless your purchases were over the course of a couple weeks or months or something). If you really want to get back in the game, you can buy staples online - you can get Claydols and Uxies for dirt cheap on eBay, and Supporters tend to sell for little as well.

By the way, the Structure decks suck. It's not like YGO where structure decks are at least somewhat usable. On the bright side, they're nice for exhuming Energies and certain Supporters.

Finally! Someone on my line of thought!

Well anyways, the Shaymin Deck and Tin were bought early 2009, the Gallade deck I got in June, the Garchomp tin I got last September last year, and the HGSS Stuff I got last week. I bought the Shaymin tin originally because I like Shaymin, and wanted to get myself a card for my Binder with Shaymin on it. Then I just thought I'd buy more, as I've bought a lot over the time since I 'wore off' it, such as decks for the art and simply to compile a collection.

The HGSS Stuff I got because I simply like Typhlosion, and who doesn't like Johto Nostalgia?

Overall, I simply decided to start collecting again and play with my friends on the side, without shelling out too much money as I'm still a Yugioh Player.

This happened with the Naruto and Bleach TCG - we basically made MishMash decks and played for fun.

Ah, that's fine. If it's nothing official, it's best not to sink too much money into it. Unless you plan on hardcore collecting, in which case more power to you.

airconditioning said:
Ah, that's fine. If it's nothing official, it's best not to sink too much money into it. Unless you plan on hardcore collecting, in which case more power to you.

Yeah. I still can't decide which to get. XD

I missed out on collecting a Dialga and Palkia tin, so I don't have a card of either of them, and both of the decks I'm considering getting have one of each. There's also plenty of other factors which affect which I choose, as the Crowned Tiger one doesn't have Claydols if I recall correctly, but does have an Uxie Lv X.

Hmm. They both have Pros and Cons, for both playing and collective purposes.

Well based on the 2 options of the World Championship decks you want to obtain i would say you should go for the Crowned Tiger, mainly because of the fact that Luxray GL lvX has a great power to drag up anything you want from your opponents bench (this can only be done when you place luxray GL lvX from your hand to level up a Luxray GL) plus is has an assortment of variuos techs to counter quite a few big metagame decks (though you aren't going to be playing compettitvely won't be that beneficial). And with the release of Expert belt (and the Garchomp C lvX tin you obtained) you can turn the deck into a Luxchomp (luxray GL lvX + garchomp C lvX) deck which is a very good deck.

Back