Collecting Just found my stash of mint(ish) 1st editions from childhood, is it worth grading?

TAMUmpower

Aspiring Trainer
2rgdmpg.jpg

So I never really played pokemon more than a few hands but bought a bunch of cards back when the game came out and I was in Junior High. I'm 33 now and just got them out of my moms attic. They all have plastic sleeves on them and most look near perfect They just sat in the cardboard bulk boxes and that was in a sealed plastic container. Some slight bowing on a few but more or less I'm wondering if I should have them graded since I've seen the values be so high if they are nice.

I've never had any experience with card grading so was just thinking of sending in a few of the most valuable ones and seeing what grade I get and then comparing those to the remaining cards to see if I could expect the others to grade the same.

All my cards are either 1st editions or shadowless with the 99 twice in the bottom of the card. So about as early as you can get. I just spent a few hours counting them. A (5, 1*) means I have 5 shadowless and 1 first edition for example.

Abra - 7, 4*
#Alakazam - 1*
Arcanine - 1, 1*
Beedrill - 2, 1*
Bellsprout - 2*
#Blastoise - 1
Bulbasaur - 5
Caterpie - 5, 1*
#Chansey - 2
#Charizard - 1*
Charmander - 20, 1*
Charmeleon - 6, 1*
#Clefairy - 1
Dewgong - 4
Diglett - 18, 3*
Dodou - 3, 5*
Dragonair - 1, 1*
Dratini - 6
Drowzee - 14, 1*
Dugtrio - 5
Electabuzz - 5
Electrode - 3
ENERGY - Purple - 22, 2*
ENERGY - Blue - 31, 4*
ENERGY - Yellow - 17, 3*
ENERGY - Orange - 60, 8*
ENERGY - Green - 17, 3*
ENERGY - Red - 40, 8*
ENERGY - Gray(Double Colorless) - 10
Exeggcute - 1*
Farfetch'd - 4, 1*
Fearow - 1*
Gastly - 5, 3*
Goldeen - 1*
Growlithe - 6
Haunter - 3, 2*
#Hitmonchan - 1
Ivysaur - 2, 1*
Jigglypuff - 2*
Jynx - 3, 1*
Kakuna - 6, 1*
Koffing - 6, 5*
Kadabra - 3, 1*
Lickitung - 1*
Machop - 18, 2*
#Machamp - 2*
Machoke - 9, 1*
Magikarp - 2
Magmar - 9, 2*
Magnemite - 8, 1*
#Magneton - 1
Mankey - 1*
Marowak - 1*
Meowth - 1*
Metapod - 10, 1*
Nidoran - 10, 2*
Nidoran(Jungle) - 2*
Nidorina - 1*
Nidorino - 5, 4*
#Nidoking - 1
Oddish - 1*
Onix - 10, 1*
Paras - 1*
Pidgeotto - 1, 1*
Pidgey - 6, 1*
Pikachu(jungle) - 1*
Pikachu(red cheeks) - 8, 3*
Pikachu(yellow cheeks) - 1*
Poliwag - 9, 1*
Poliwhirl - 3, 3*
#Poliwrath - 2
Ponyta - 15, 6*
Porygon - 10, 3*
Primeape - 1*
Raticate - 8, 4*
Rattata - 11, 3*
#Raichu - 3
Rhydon - 1*
Rhyhorn - 1*
Sandshrew - 12, 4*
Seel - 9, 3*
Starmie - 7, 5*
Staryu - 13, 2*
Squirtle - 15, 1*
Tangela 8, 2*
TRAINER - Bill - 8 , 2*
TRAINER - Clefairy Doll - 1, 1*
TRAINER - Computer Search - 3
TRAINER - Defender - 2
TRAINER - Devolution Spray - 1, 1*
TRAINER - Energy Removal - 13, 1*
TRAINER - Energy Retrieval - 6, 3*
TRAINER - Full Heal - 5
TRAINER - Gust of Wind - 8, 1*
TRAINER - Impostor Professor Oak - 2, 1*
TRAINER - Lass - 2, 1*
TRAINER - Maintenance - 2, 1*
TRAINER - PlusPower - 7, 1*
TRAINER - Pokedex - 2, 5*
TRAINER - Pokemon Breeder - 2, 1*
TRAINER - Pokemon Center - 10, 4*
TRAINER - Pokemon Flute - 3, 1*
TRAINER - Pokemon Trader - 1*
TRAINER - Potion -
TRAINER - Professor Oak - 4
TRAINER - Revive - 4, 1*
TRAINER - Scoop Up - 2, 1*
TRAINER - Super Energy Removal - 2, 1*
TRAINER - Super Potion - 1, 1*
TRAINER - Switch - 8, 1*
#Venomoth - 1*
#Venusaur - 1
Voltorb - 5, 2*
Vulpix - 9, 1*
Wartortle - 8, 1*
Weedle - 5, 2*
Wigglytuff - 1*
#Zapdos - 3

Last edited:
I would first inspect the cards under a high intensity light and look for any kind of scratches on the holofoils as well as the card itself, check for any creases or folds, check all the edges for any kind kind of edge wear (you'll see white on the edges) or silvering (where the holo paper shows on the edges) and then check all four corners front and back for any kind of damage. Make sure the card has very very little to no dirt on them. The bowing shouldn't have a huge impact on the grades unless the bows are extreme.

If all this checks out and your card looks pretty good, then you have two options.

1. If you plan on keeping them, you don't really have to grade them but if you want a secure feeling of knowing what your cards are valued at, you can get them graded.
2. If you plan on selling them, you definitely want to get them graded as that will allow you to sell them at a higher prices, especially if you have any 9 or 10. Many collectors also won't purchase many older set cards unless they are graded and they won't hesitate to throw the extra money at them especially First Edition Base Set Shadowless.

Either way, great collection!

Have you send the cards for grading? What PSA grade does your 1st Ed charizard get?

Last edited:
Seriously! Find a box of cards that has a shadowless first edition charizard! I had a ton of cards back in the day that I sold and I think I had a shadowless charizard but not a first edition. I would treat that carefully and send it off regardless.

IF you do decide to get these graded if they are good enough quality, I would only send the holos, s all the others are worth less graded than it costs to get them graded for the most art.

Back