Help Jolteon EX vs. Regice?

K5survives

Aspiring Trainer
Got into an argument last night when i had regice up against jolteon ex. Obviously they have a very similar attack. Jolteon ex states that it blocks damage from any attacking basic pokemon when using flash fire. Regice states that it blocks all effects of attcks including damage from attacking ex pokemon. My issue is doesnt regice outrule jolteon ex since it doesnt just block damage but also effects of attacks therefore negating jolteons damage block since it is an effect and not an ability. Please help me out here all.

This should be categorized as help not news.

now on to your question,

No resistance blizzard doesn't get to negate flash ray, there is no interaction between the effects the attacks place as they only effect the Pokémon they are placed on.

Resistance Blizzard said:
During your opponent’s next turn, prevent all effects of attacks, including damage, done to this Pokémon by Pokémon-EX.

Flash Ray said:
During your opponent’s next turn, prevent all damage done to this Pokémon by attacks from Basic Pokémon.

Emphasis added.

The protective effect of both attacks is done to the Pokémon using the attack; the only thing each attack does to the opponent's Active is damage (which would be blocked in both instances).

If you were talking about Swift:

Swift said:
This attack’s damage isn’t affected by Weakness, Resistance, or any other effects on your opponent’s Active Pokémon.

It comes down to the resolution of attack effects; the short version is that effects on the attacking Pokémon resolve first, and that means by the time we get to the protection offered by Resistance Blizzard, the effect of Swift is telling us to ignore said effect of Resistance Blizzard.

You silly, Jolteon ex has been out of rotation for years now! Capitalization is very important when it comes to EX cards.

You silly, Jolteon ex has been out of rotation for years now! Capitalization is very important when it comes to EX cards.

I wasn't going to bring it up, but in case you're really new to the TCG @K5survives, the Pokémon TCG reuses names all the time, and you get the odd question about Unlimited from time to time. Just like how Pokémon-GX are similar to Pokémon-EX, there is this much, much older mechanic called Pokémon-ex that both take after.

Jolteon ex is from generations and still included in standard rotation. I checked.

Jolteon ex is from Ex Delta Species, a set that came out in 2005.

Jolteon EX is from Generations.

Note the capitalization. There are two eras of these cards, ex and EX. Confusing, I know.

Jolteon ex is from Ex Delta Species, a set that came out in 2005.

Jolteon EX is from Generations.

Note the capitalization. There are two eras of these cards, ex and EX. Confusing, I know.

Yeah, most are going to know someone talking about anything current means Jolteon-EX when you say "Jolteon-ex", but sometimes we do get questions for Unlimited Format play, @K5survives Also note, as a side effect of writing about Pokémon cards, I have odd habits you are free to think are stupid. ;) I got tired of having to explain when I was talking about the video games, cards, expansions, etc. so I tend to italicize card names and underline set names. Also, I will copy stuff from official sources, like Pokémon.com. That is why I add a hyphen to Pokémon-EX; none of the card names have it, but when you look them up over there, they do. Also, certain effects will include the hyphen. ^^'

Anyway, if you care to know why some of us get hung up on such a little detail as "EX" versus "ex", check what I wrote in this spoiler.

So way back in 2003, we were introduced to Pokémon-ex in the set EX: Ruby & Sapphire. Give or take the odd promo, I think the last of these were released in EX: Power Keepers in 2007. They were a new rarity back then, one step above holographic rare. They had rules text on them stating they gave up an extra Prize when KO'd. They could be Basic, Stage 1, or Stage 2 Pokémon, and if they were an Evolution, most Evolved from the same lower Stage as the non-Pokémon-ex version of the card. For example, Jolteon-ex was a Stage 1 that Evolved from Eevee, though there were oddballs like Scizor-ex that could Evolve from the regular Scyther or Scyther-ex. Probably because they bothered to make a Scyther-ex.

Pokémon-EX were first introduced in BW: Next Destinies in 2012 and didn't stop being released until... actually they are still releasing a few Alternate Printings of them now, though I think new ones were done with either XY: Evolutions or the last of the XY: Black Star Series. They are also worth two Prizes when KO'd, but are either Basic Pokémon (even if the Pokémon in question is normally a different Stage) or Mega Evolutions. At first, only Pokémon that - in the video games - are described as Legendaries would get Pokémon-EX, but soon it seemed to be whatever the designers felt like.

The newest gimmick is Pokémon-GX. Again, they are worth an extra Prize when KO'd. They debuted in the SM: Black Star Promos series with Snorlax-GX last year. They all have three effects; an Ability and two attacks, or three attacks, and one of the attacks is a GX-attack that can only be used once during a game. They can be any Stage still in use for the Sun & Moon era, and Evolve from the non-Pokémon-GX version of their prior Stage. For example, Umbreon-GX Evolves from Eevee.

For the 4-copy rule, all these cards are considered to have different names. Effects that refer to Pokémon-ex do not apply to Pokémon-EX, and vice versa. Effects that refer to Pokémon-EX do not apply to Pokémon-GX, and vice versa. There are, however, some effects that specifically state they apply to both Pokémon-EX and Pokémon-GX, like the damage boost from Choice Band.

Back