John Stewart Slams Fox for "White Christmas"

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
http://blog.sfgate.com/hottopics/2013/12/13/daily-shows-jon-stewart-slams-fox-news-megyn-kelly-for-white-christmas/#18866101=0

Funniest thing I've seen in a while.

This is why I don't want American TV.
I also don't watch it because I live in Australia and I cant be bothered to go online and watch it or whatever other people do to watch Murican tv.

Hahaha! It would also seem as though Megyn Kelly might be influencing New Mexico high school teachers.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12/16/21928119-new-mexico-teacher-on-leave-after-telling-black-student-santa-is-white?lite

She actually did address what she said about Santa (but not Jesus, interestingly) being white, calling it a "joke" and criticizing viewers for having a lack of humor. (souce)

Oh yeah, because everything else on FOX news is just rife with humor. If you watch the discussion, the last thing she seems to have on her mind is giving her viewers a giggle. But it's not like anything she could say could lower my opinion of her or the rest of FOX news anyways.

Spartansn1p3r said:
I do hope you're not under the impression every single program on every single channel in the United States is like this.

Elite Stride said:
Hahaha! It would also seem as though Megyn Kelly might be influencing New Mexico high school teachers.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12/16/21928119-new-mexico-teacher-on-leave-after-telling-black-student-santa-is-white?lite

Please tell me that article is kidding.

How would that exchange even go?
-Christopher, don't you know Santa Claus is white? Why are you wearing that?
-then what should I dress like? It said "holiday characters"
-um, I don't know... the reindeer?

Also, when you read the anchor saying "this person" do any of you also could hear the derision in her voice? like "ugh. this... person..."

Spartansn1p3r said:

Stereotyping? Really? -_- Fox News is a joke yes (a highly Republican "news" channel), but not all t.v. shows from America are bad.

Instant cool points for referencing The Daily Show, I love that show. And Fox News deserves everything Jon Stewart throws at them.

Anyway, I can see how it's off putting to some people, one time I saw a black mall Santa and it just felt really off to me, but I don't think they should discriminate like this. Going to be tough to explain to the kids, though.

On the claim that FOX isn't full of people with senses of humor, that is very highly incorrect. They make jokes all of the time and have all kinds of fun. For instance... Well, just watch The Five if you want an immediate example. They joke all the time. Megyn herself jokes quite a lot and I do enjoy her programming because of her and her associates lighthearted behavior. I mean, who wants to watch someone drone on and on for a half hour or more? I would much prefer to watch something that's entertaining as well as informative without taking anything away from the actual story.

But on the matter of Black Santa... Really? I mean, I am going to have to side with her on this one: Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean that everyone else feels the same, and that an icon that's been around for who knows how long has to change because you have a nit-pick. I'm not even sure why it's an issue.

I don't watch The Daily Show, but I gotta say, that AHA Site joke was hilarious. I mean, I don't care if it's Stewart or Leno or whomever, a good joke is a good joke. "The flipping calculator doesn't work!? The thing that's been included in computers since ninteen-seventy-two!?" I'm sorry, that's just funny.

Re: RE: John Stewart Slams Fox for "White Christmas"

Spartansn1p3r said:
I also don't watch it because I live in Australia and I cant be bothered to go online and watch it or whatever other people do to watch Murican tv.

Because Jon Stewart isn't from Comedy Central which isn't American based.

I really don't see how that in any way was something to be made fun of. Granted, she could have worded that better and said it more nicely. Also, what about that is an example of why not to watch American tv? Fox is a perfectly fine news channel, and Jon Stewart is hilarious. If you were talking about either one of them I am confused, spartansniper.

Edit: Just wanted to add that I DID find this to be funny. (mostly because of the exaggeration on Jon Stewart's part, which was great) (no sarcasm intended)

I find it much more humorous that she said Jesus was white. Also John Oliver needs to take over the Daily Show for good.

Sooo... what about this Festive Poll beside that nativity scene was definitely anti-Christian??

As for the Santa thing. "Santa" does mean "saint" in the Norwegian language, I believe. I don't know much about Norwegian culture but, I think they are considered a white race.

I don't know if the clips showed the whole story or not. I might be able to imagine why the author felt uncomfortable about Santa being white: African Americans have had a history of being oppressed as slaves, and the fact that some special human figures are portrayed as white probably reminds her of that fact.

Now the oppression comment. I think that's an overgeneralization. There may be a lot of things that make one feel uncomfortable that aren't necessarily oppressive.

Oh! And Jesus being White, erm, he's Jewish.

Well, that's what I can think of, take it or leave it.

Jesus was from the Middle East and probably dark skinned. Santa is a fictional character who can be whatever race you want, but was probably based on St. Nicholas of Turkey.

Zenith said:
Jesus was from the Middle East and probably dark skinned. Santa is a fictional character who can be whatever race you want, but was probably based on St. Nicholas of Turkey.

I was gonna say exacly that. A lot changes over 2000 years.
Oh, and judaism is a religion. Not a race. Not necessarily the same thing.

Also, I can't believe that, rather than facing and discussing the issue of, not necessarily racism, but closed-mindedness, at the very least, you all (most) chose to focus on a stray comment about how all american TV is bad. It's almost ironic.

I saw little to no closed-mindedness in that video to discuss. It was humorous and that is all, not much to talk about.

Back